Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

TRD Supercharger / Baja CA ?

Old 08-08-2012, 08:07 AM   #1
Jah310 is on a distinguished road

Jah310's Tacoma Gallery
TRD Supercharger / Baja CA ?

So I've Always daydreamed of having a bit more power for my double cab 4x4 2010 v6 Tacoma. I've read a ton of good things about the Trd supercharger and if money wasn't a concern I think I'd pull the trigger. My only concern is the fact that they suggest you run higher octane gas - not so much for the extra cost but more for my trips down to baja mex where availability of premium fuel is somewhat unreliable. It would be a shame to outfit my Tacoma only to have it be limited to areas with reliable availability of premium gas.

That being said I was cruising the web and found an article stating that the trd supercharger can run on 87 if needed. " For safety’s sake, the engine map developed for the supercharger will allow the engine to run on 87 octane, but the power output will suffer as the ECU retards the ignition timing to prevent detonation." see this article http://www.toyotaracing.com/trd/feat...ercharger.html

Has anybody who has a thentrd supercharge run into a situation where they've had to use 87 octane? Does the engine still run okay? Would you knowing go on a trip where premium gas might not be available (baja)???

Any feedback would be really appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 08-08-2012, 08:09 AM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I wouldn't dare.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:13 AM   #3
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
i dont know how far it would take you to get to a reliable gas station but maybe take fuel with you? Its not the greatest option but it is an option. I usually take 15 gal with me when we go on the Mojave road and we travel over 300 miles. maybe a few jerry cans and a good lock
Old 08-08-2012, 08:21 AM   #4
Defined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: mike
Defined's Tacoma Gallery
dont know about the tacoma. but we take a trd supercharged tundra all over the peninsula without problem . if we remember we do throw a bottle of octane booster in for good measure.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:22 AM   #5
Dezert Toy Fabrication
DTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
DTFtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I wouldn't dare.
sack up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tostidos View Post
i dont know how far it would take you to get to a reliable gas station but maybe take fuel with you? Its not the greatest option but it is an option. I usually take 15 gal with me when we go on the Mojave road and we travel over 300 miles. maybe a few jerry cans and a good lock
This fill your tank to the brim at the boarder then fuel cans. Make sure you use it before you cross back over I'm sure they'll want to inspect them
Old 08-08-2012, 08:24 AM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTFtacoma View Post
sack up
I'm good. I don't like broken piston rings.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:51 AM   #7
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
sack up

This fill your tank to the brim at the boarder then fuel cans. Make sure you use it before you cross back over I'm sure they'll want to inspect them
didnt even think about that... good point
Old 08-08-2012, 08:56 AM   #8
Dezert Toy Fabrication
DTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tostidos View Post
didnt even think about that... good point
I've cross the boarder quite a few times
Old 08-08-2012, 08:57 AM   #9
Dezert Toy Fabrication

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I'm good. I don't like broken piston rings.
You have to leave your room first

<3
Old 08-08-2012, 09:04 AM   #10
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
On the back of the supercharger there's a vacuum actuator that shuts under boost. This allows air to recirculate when you are not under boost.
If you ever had to put less than 91 octane in (or fuck up and pump 87 because you're so damn tired from a long TW meet ), you can ziptie the actuator OPEN.
It will feel sluggish (as it should) but it will prevent that painful ping.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:07 AM   #11
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
How reliable is the fuel in Mexico anyway? I recall reading a couple of Ford Raptors failed some race because they had to get fuel locally and clogged the filters.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:17 AM   #12
Dezert Toy Fabrication

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
How reliable is the fuel in Mexico anyway? I recall reading a couple of Ford Raptors failed some race because they had to get fuel locally and clogged the filters.
PEMEX = No Bueno
Old 08-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #14
TherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
TherealScuba's Tacoma Gallery
http://agrimart.net/lucas-octane-boo...FYQGRQodxigAKQ
Old 08-08-2012, 09:39 AM   #16
1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future

1stacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I live in Texas and I used to go into Mexico all the time. Now with all the cartel killings right now I wouldn't dare. I know a girl from mexico and she is going to college in Texas. I asked her why she drives her dads Cadillac Escalade. She said the 1st 2 got car jacked and her dad was lucky to be alive. So if some of those guys see your shiny new Tacoma guess what? Its not your shiny new Tacoma any more. Also if you dont have Mexico coverage on your insurance policy you have no coverage in Mexico. Just my two cents.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:45 AM   #17
Dezert Toy Fabrication

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stacoma View Post
Now with all the cartel killings right now I wouldn't dare.
It's gotten really bad in the last 5 years
Old 08-08-2012, 01:57 PM   #18
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Do the cartels attack Americans? Thought it was mostly cartel-cartel violence.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:09 PM   #19
Super Taco
mattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mattgecko's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
PEMEX = No Bueno
X2. I always heard Mexican gas destroys catalytic convertors.

We go down to the Baja 500 & 1000 every year with no problems. I don't buy gas in Mexico and the Tacoma stays home.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:19 PM   #20
netman1969 will become famous soon enoughnetman1969 will become famous soon enough

Air Force: Air Force Security Police NCO
Name: Dave
netman1969's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to netman1969
[QUOTE=KenLyns;5508002]Do the cartels attack Americans? Thought it was mostly cartel-cartel violence.[/QUOTE

No, they kidnap us and hold us for ransom first.... then they kill us. Or they just take your shiny Tacoma and put a bullet in your head for your trouble.

They are killing everyone, white, brown, mexican, american, cartel or innocent tourist. Thats the really bothersome part is all of the random stuff or mistaken identity.

I used to love going to Juarez and Laredo Nuevo, but not any more.... noooooooo spank you.

-Smitty