1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Your opinions on a trade.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by babytruck, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Aug 8, 2012 at 1:40 PM
    babytruck

babytruck [OP] Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    When I first started looking at Tacomas, my ideal truck was a SWB double cab long bed 4x4. I started my search in 2011 and ended up with a Barcelona red AC base 4x4 because the price was right and to me, it was just too cute.

[​IMG]

Well lookie what I found when I brought my SUV in for an oil change this morning and had time to kill.

http://www.acuraofconcord.com/used-inventory/used-cars.htm EDIT: Just realized that the link just goes to the used car spot. Please just type in Toyota and Tacoma and it's the only blue one there. Sorry for the inconvenience. It won't even let me copy the pics.

[​IMG]

[pic courtesy of jgwheeler17, thank you]

I was considering a trade.

My truck is a 2010 with 10k, that one is a year older and has 37k. Mine is a 4x4 this one is a PreRunner. AC vs Double cab. Both are "long beds". SR5 TRD Sport (with skewp!) vs Base with convenience (power windows, locks, cruise, tow package, alarm, back up sensors). Mine is clean clean CLEAN. This blue one has scrapes everywhere (I notice the pics were not of the spots that had scratches) and the rear mudflap is held on by a white zip tie (at least use BLACK) where something scratched it across the fender and took it off. No rust on frame or anywhere (just normal surface rust).

Of course I would take my wheels off and put the stock steelies back on as well as remove the hook and the nerf bars.

Wondering if they would trade it plus maybe a little bit of cash from me....The only thing is, I've got an emotional attachment to babytruck, I got him to where I want him to be other than sliders... I love him very very much. But I give up. I'll never wheel him, and even though I WANT TO my husband keeps saying I won't and that's why it's never been outfitted to be (lift, sliders, locker, etc) So I might as well get a PreRunner. :( The 4x4 is being wasted cruising the mall.

What do you guys think? Honestly?

2. Aug 8, 2012 at 1:49 PM
    TeamSarcasm

TeamSarcasm Flawless Escalation to the Ludicrous

Member:
    The better coast
    Now I have always wondered....But since it's coming from an acura dealer does it come with any warranty left over from toyota? Or just the "3 month 3k miles" stuff dealers throw on sometimes?

How much longer does yours have its warranty for? If that one doesn't come with a warranty I would personally wait until you are out of warranty before trading for something with out a warranty.

But what ever you do I'm sure you will be happy with it :) and I know how hard it is to walk away from your dream truck, I had to walk on a 04 dc 4x4 with a cap and 60k miles on it :( I was pretty sad. But if you do walk who knows, maybe a 4x4 will pop up :)

3. Aug 8, 2012 at 1:53 PM
    wtmtntaco

wtmtntaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD xtracab V6
    Bilstein 5100's at 2.5", Grey wire, Wheeler's 1.5 aal,
    Well, everyone is gonna say, do what you want, etc, but as an opinion, I would go for the trade, you like the color, it gives you the interior size you want, its got the long bed, you don't use the 4x4, I personally love the sport seats, my wife has a 4runner sport and they are the best seats I've ever sat in, in a car I owned, but since yours has less miles and is newer and is 4x4, I wouldn't give them a whole lot of additional money. Can't hurt to ask, if they insult you with a trade-in deal, then you know it wasn't meant to be.

4. Aug 8, 2012 at 1:54 PM
    TeamSarcasm

TeamSarcasm Flawless Escalation to the Ludicrous

Member:
    The better coast
    Oh yeah^ I forgot to add about the "adding cash" part. I would see if they would do a straight trade. but first see what they will give you as a trade in price. but I also would not add very much if you do.

5. Aug 8, 2012 at 2:03 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    There's no way I would think you should have to throw in any cash for the deal. Yours is clean, 4x4 and extremely low mileage, theirs is scratched up, higher mileage and 2wd.

Personally, I would be a little concerned about the condition of the truck because, to me, it speaks to how the truck was maintained. I know it's the color you want and cab space you want but it sounds like yours is nicer and cared for better. Unless you need the double cab, I would pass unless you can work a really nice deal on it (like maybe have them completely detail the truck out, replace the mudflap properly, buff the truck to hide some of the scratches, etc) and even then, I don't think you should have to put any of your own money into it. Also, as mentioned above, the warranty issue could be a concern. Just my $0.02.

6. Aug 8, 2012 at 2:05 PM
    babytruck

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    I edited my OP because I realize that the link isn't taking you directly to the truck...

I was thinking perhaps they would do a straight trade, but not sure if I should put on the original wheels before I go to talk to them. I'm thinking they might "deduct" if I put on the cheaper wheels after they see the KMCs and tires? *sigh*

My 3yr/36k mile warranty started the day I purchased my truck, which was in May of 2011. So I have about two years left. This one, says it has a warranty, I'm thinking its probably the one you get when you buy a used car (one month, 3 months??) since it's at 37k.

Another thing to note is that the bed is pretty scratched, it was definitely used as some sort of work truck. No dents on the truck though. I opened the hood and it's really clean inside. I told my husband, OH LOOK! It doesn't look like it's been wheeled! And he said to me "Why would it be wheeled, it's not a 4x4." Gawd I felt stupid. So used to 4x4s....

Oh and I noticed it had 3 leaf springs on it. Not sure if it was eligible for the TSB. Mine has had all TSB's done to it and even had the special weld thingy done to it for the cats to be harder to steal. Oh and no mats or hooks for the mats. And no option to turn off the air bags. Not sure if that was a 4x4 thing.

7. Aug 8, 2012 at 2:06 PM
    anthony250f

anthony250f Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 dcsb trd offroad 4wd
    this had me worried....then i saw gender

8. Aug 8, 2012 at 2:14 PM
    babytruck

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    WHAT had you worried??

9. Aug 8, 2012 at 2:18 PM
    anthony250f

anthony250f Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 dcsb trd offroad 4wd
    whoops.....the too cute part lol

10. Aug 8, 2012 at 2:18 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    No option to turn off the air bags I believe is a double cab thing. I think the idea is, if you have a full back seat, a car seat shouldn't be in the front to begin with.

Just tell them that the truck will come with steel wheels. It shouldn't be that hard of a concept for them to grasp and price. There shouldn't be a 'deduct' if they know that up front. If you don't tell them until after they price your truck, then it will be used as an excuse to lower the appraisal even though they wouldn't have factored it in to begin with.

The TSB's would depend on how much you want to use it as a truck, and if you plan on reworking the suspension anyways. As you know, the stock leaf pack is crap, the TSB is a little better but not much. What sucks is the new truck won't be eligible for the TSB's and this dealership most likely can't do them because they're an Acura dealer.

Just curious, what's the weldy thing for the cats?

11. Aug 8, 2012 at 2:25 PM
    babytruck

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
  12. Aug 8, 2012 at 2:43 PM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 4x4 DCSB 6spd Vagabond
    Drifter wedge camper, Dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
    you dont use your 4x4, so I say trade it in and get the DCLB since that's what you wanted in the first place.

You have a newer truck with less miles and 4x4. If anything, see if you can get money back

13. Aug 8, 2012 at 2:55 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Remember that time you skidded and got some air time on the highway on-ramp in the rain? Wouldn't have happened in 4WD model...

14. Aug 8, 2012 at 3:06 PM
    babytruck

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    It happened in my 4x4.

15. Aug 8, 2012 at 3:07 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Why wouldn't it have happened? You use 4wd in the rain?!?! :confused:

16. Aug 8, 2012 at 3:13 PM
    SCRunner12

SCRunner12 Tundra Troll

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra DC, TRD, 4wd
    Go for it. As MJ said you don't really use the 4wd and DC are sweet. You can name it toddler truck since it won't be a baby anymore.

17. Aug 8, 2012 at 3:59 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Yes, it eliminates oversteer in gentle turns (including on-ramps).

18. Aug 8, 2012 at 4:02 PM
    707tothe907

707tothe907 Superior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Chico NorCal
    Vehicle:
    05 DCSB Off Road
    Everyone that drives a 2wd car in the rain must be doing it wrong.

19. Aug 8, 2012 at 4:09 PM
    Boerseun

Boerseun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport 4x4
    Upgraded 2002 Tacoma to 2018 Tundra
    Your truck is so clean (and cute) that I think you have to really look at the DC good before you decide to trade. If you can't buff the scratches out etc. it will always feel like you traded down. The zip-tied mud flap makes me wonder how the previous owner maintained it.
    Well, you have seen the DC and I have not, so it is just my thoughts, but those would be my concerns.

20. Aug 8, 2012 at 4:15 PM
    babytruck

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Yes, there's a lot that does not show in the pictures on the site. I might go down tomorrow and take pics with my own camera and post them here. Oh and the seats...there are stains or something that I hope would come out. Not BAD stains but now that I think about it, I wonder how DID the owner take care of it.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that I would not have taken care of it that way. And not to sound too cocky, who ever gets MY truck will be getting one that is pretty darn clean. Towels on the seats at all times and car mats on top of car mats.

Not a single scratch on mine, either.

Products Discussed in

To Top