1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

LB Handling vs SB Handling

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Yettee, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Aug 10, 2012 at 11:36 AM
    Yettee

Yettee [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 White Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    I'm looking to get a 2012 DCLB mostly because the price between that and a 2012 DCSB that is similar aside from the bed is negligible. I've heard that there is a difference in the handling between the two, but what i was wondering was how much of a difference is there? Is it like a Big Rig vs Coupe or is it that the LB feels more slugish and the the SB handles like a regular sized SUV? The only reference that i have for handling was my brothers 03' DCSB and my dads 95' single cab unfortunately those are first gens

2. Aug 10, 2012 at 11:40 AM
    bjhn83

bjhn83 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Columbia, MO
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 DCSB Grandpa Shell
    3" Toytec lift, 285/75/16 BFG AT KO's on Pro Comp 7089's, Yellow fog lights, Satoshi
    I drive a DCSB and I feel like it was more like a car than a truck as far as handling went. After the lift it feels more like an SUV. But I'd go to the dealership and drive them both! Best way to find out.

3. Aug 10, 2012 at 11:47 AM
    Yettee

Yettee [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 White Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    LOL as simple as that sounds to go the dealer and try them I actually did not think about that. Probably because i just assumed that that when i go there to actually purchase that would just happen. Also because I worked a commission based job before in retail and hate wasting peoples time because i hated getting my time wasted. If any of that makes sense.

4. Aug 10, 2012 at 11:49 AM
    08WhiteTRD

08WhiteTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Rocklin, NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2008 White 4x4 TRD Sport
    Fox Suspension 2.5 Front and 2.0 Rear, All-Pro Skids, BAMF LCA Skid, Leer 100R, Scangauge II, WeatherTech Floorliners, WeatherTech window visors, Satoshi grill with HomerTaco mesh, Sockmonkey Tailgate Decal, BHLM, Center Console lock, ImMrYo Rear-view bracket, Rally Armor mud flaps, Crawford Eco-Block, USA-Spec PA-15
    I have a DCLB and it's a little less manuverable vs the DCSB since the wheelbase is longer. I had a friend that had a DCSB, so I have driven both. For me the longer bed made more sense since I use my bed a lot and the extra length has come in very handy. It's more about your own needs. I wouldn't say that it's a huge difference but the DCSB does turn a little tighter vs the DCLB.

5. Aug 10, 2012 at 12:02 PM
    penguins_cc

penguins_cc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bellevue, WA
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica Limo!
    Perkins Performance Sliders, Warn 9000, Brute Force Fab front & rear bumper, OME/Dakar lift, full ATO skids and hi-lift mount, satoshi, Wet Okoles, illuminated 4x4 switch, Diff Breather.
    It depends on your definition of handling. The longer wheelbase actually feels better over a lot of different terrain. The LB turning radius is noticeably longer than the SB's however. The DCLB is a bit of a pain in parking lots but I wouldn't give mine up for the world. The utility of the longer bed is great for my needs and having a baby seat in the back ruled out the access cab.

6. Aug 10, 2012 at 12:07 PM
    bjhn83

bjhn83 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Columbia, MO
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 DCSB Grandpa Shell
    3" Toytec lift, 285/75/16 BFG AT KO's on Pro Comp 7089's, Yellow fog lights, Satoshi
    I would feel that a dealer working off commission would do just about anything to make the sale if that included letting you drive the LB and SB back to back. Let him know you're ready to buy and don't feel bad because it's worth it for both of you in the end cause he makes the sale and you get the truck you want :D

7. Aug 10, 2012 at 1:03 PM
    Bookin

Bookin Well-Known Member

Member:
    I've had a DCSB and currently have a DCLB. I prefer the handling of the SB. With only a foot difference, the difference is quite drastic. I really notice it when making a U-turn and parking, especially in tight lots. If I could do it again I would have stuck with the SB.

8. Aug 10, 2012 at 1:10 PM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    I've had both and only real difference I've noticed was the LB was that parking was a little tougher in smaller spots. I still prefer the LB.

9. Aug 10, 2012 at 1:23 PM
    Maticuno

Maticuno Resident Pine Swine

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Suburban 2500
    JBA Shorty Headers, Flowmaster FlowFX Sing/Dual Exhaust
    While the DCLB does make a slightly wider turn than my previous Access Cab, it isn't horrible. It still turns much tighter than the DCSB Colorado I drive for work. Overall I like the handling of the DCLB more than my previous Tacoma. It feels more like a truck than an SUV.

10. Aug 10, 2012 at 1:59 PM
    brianv3ntura

brianv3ntura Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville FL
    Vehicle:
    MGM'12 Taco TRD Sport 4x4 DCLB 4.0L 5spd Auto
    Stock for now.
    The DCLB does have a noticeable wider turn radius. I've noticed that I can't.do a full turn in some places compared to my 4runner and celica.

11. Aug 10, 2012 at 2:17 PM
    JWinTN

JWinTN Well-Known Member

Member:
    E TN
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    From this review/article: http://autos.aol.com/cars-Toyota-Tacoma-2012-Base__4x2_Access_Cab_127.4_in._WB/expert-review/

I guess it's relative as to whether or not the DCLB is a PIA, but there's at least some numbers to go by.

12. Aug 18, 2012 at 6:57 AM
    Clover01

Clover01 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Cibolo TX
    Vehicle:
    Looking to buy
    Looking for ideas
    According to the "propaganda" the turn radius is 4 feet wider for the LB than the SB...I am in the same situation as you what to buy....going to dealers to day to drive and compare. Good luck

13. Aug 18, 2012 at 9:53 AM
    Grundletaint

Grundletaint Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2012 crewmax tundra 4x4
    Debadged, derped, weathertech visors, antennax, tinted, need more money
    I kinda second guessed my LB the first few times I was in parking lots with it but got used to it really quickly and don't even think about it anymore. The number of times the bed size comes in handy far outnumbers the few times I've had to pass up a parallel parking spot. I definitely like the ride quality ofmthe longer wheelbase on road trips.

14. Aug 18, 2012 at 11:42 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Not being able to park a truck the size of a DCLB is driver error , not a fault with the vehicle

15. Aug 20, 2012 at 11:21 AM
    Toy Yoda

Toy Yoda gotta make sure Youtube comes down to tape this

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB
    OME, ARB, Warn, Snugtop XV
    x2, my truck turns like an air craft carrier bc of the LB, but i manage

16. Aug 13, 2016 at 2:04 PM
    bodhi armor

bodhi armor 02’ Dbl Cab- "The Luck Dragon"

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    East TX
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 Dbl Cab Jade Green
    Best thing you can do is find and test drive both types of truck, be sure they both have the same options v6, 4wd etc. If at all possible do both test drives and comparison maneuvers (u turns, multi point turns, in and out of parking spots, etc) at the same place.
    Make a list of maneuvers that you want to compare and make your decision based on that rather than what someone else thinks.
    Im doing the exact same thing right now.

Products Discussed in

To Top