Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

New wheels! (pics)

Old 08-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #1
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
New wheels! (pics)

Just had my wheels put on today. I think they look great! Details:
TRUCK-2009 DCSB TRD Sport MGM
SUSPENSION-5100's all around, 1.75" up front and tsb leafs in the rear
RIMS-ATX Artillery (teflon coated) "black" 17x9 -12 offset 6 on 5.5
TIRES-265/70/17 BFG TA KO

Light rubbing on LCA before the rims were installed which is now gone, however, I now have a slight rub on the front wheel well at almost full turn. Not too bad though, just some minor trimming required. And yes, the factory TPMS fit right in with no problems.

QUESTIONS:
-Anyone else running these wheels have problems fitting your center caps? The caps that came with the wheels don't fit the hub, they are too small. Should I just rattle can the hub black and run without the center cap as shown, or get the right caps and install them?
-They only had chrome lugs in stock, but I ha them order black lugs which will be in next week... question is: since these wheels have chrome "bolts" around them, should I just leave the lugs chrome since they match the decorative bolts as well as the tpms sensors? Even though chrome is disgusting

Thanks for the input!
These wheels are almost a perfect match to the MGM paint even though they are considered "black" wheels.

Rubbing:

Old 08-10-2012, 03:49 PM   #3
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
No spacers? Looks good.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:51 PM   #4
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
Looks awesome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
No spacers? Looks good.
Thanks and no, no spacers
Old 08-10-2012, 03:57 PM   #5
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
Are you wearing corduroys? YES!
Old 08-10-2012, 03:58 PM   #6
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
Wheels look sick too btw
Old 08-10-2012, 04:09 PM   #7
Thin Blue Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbacher View Post
Are you wearing corduroys? YES!
Lol no... I'm wearing basketball shorts haha
Old 08-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #8
Thin Blue Line

So I have steering wheel wobble between 45-70mph. Looks like I'll be going back tomorrow to rebalance
Old 08-10-2012, 04:16 PM   #9
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
That teflon and that SoCal sun are not a good match, but the wheels look good....for now.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:21 PM   #10
Thin Blue Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Dave View Post
That teflon and that SoCal sun are not a good match, but the wheels look good....for now.
more info??
Old 08-10-2012, 05:19 PM   #11
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Albert
w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
Nice choice. I liked them too. I had no problems with the center cap. I'm planning to leave my lug nuts chrome. I never thought about switching them to black, but then again the chrome doesn't bother me either because of exactly what you mentioned... the outside fake chrome pieces.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:33 PM   #12
dantastic is on a distinguished road
dantastic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProForce View Post
So I have steering wheel wobble between 45-70mph. Looks like I'll be going back tomorrow to rebalance
Are the wheels hub centric? If not, you may need some hub centering rings...
Old 08-10-2012, 05:36 PM   #13
Thin Blue Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantastic View Post
I'm not sure... anyone that has these wheels that knows can help out?
Old 08-10-2012, 07:49 PM   #14
jdm.obp is a glorious beacon of lightjdm.obp is a glorious beacon of lightjdm.obp is a glorious beacon of lightjdm.obp is a glorious beacon of lightjdm.obp is a glorious beacon of light
jdm.obp's Tacoma Gallery
one of my fav wheels. Looks great on your truck man
Old 08-10-2012, 08:47 PM   #15
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantastic View Post
They are not hub centric. I have them on mine and have no ring on it. Because the center caps are on from the inside, they'll interfere with the ring.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:53 PM   #16
Thin Blue Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by w8n4mud View Post
They are not hub centric. I have them on mine and have no ring on it. Because the center caps are on from the inside, they'll interfere with the ring.
What do you mean they'll interface with the ring?? So I do need an adapter or no?

At the moment my center caps are not on because they did not fit right. I'm not sure why but they seemed too tight. I'll try again tomorrow. So what should I do then?
Old 08-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #17
diesel tech
AddicTioN has much to be proud ofAddicTioN has much to be proud ofAddicTioN has much to be proud ofAddicTioN has much to be proud ofAddicTioN has much to be proud ofAddicTioN has much to be proud ofAddicTioN has much to be proud ofAddicTioN has much to be proud ofAddicTioN has much to be proud of

Name: wyatt
AddicTioN's Tacoma Gallery
i like them a lot! if i had that color id do that color of wheel too looks good bud!
Old 08-11-2012, 08:49 AM   #18
Thin Blue Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddicTioN View Post
i like them a lot! if i had that color id do that color of wheel too looks good bud!
Yeah I'm starting to like it a lot. When I first opened the box and saw how light colored the rims were I was pretty disappointed at first, but they are growing on me quickly. Its amazing how much different the truck becomes with just wheels. I'd say probably the best "mod" for esthetics.

So can anyone clarify this hub/lug centric issue ans the wobble.... should I get rebalanced or do I need something else to help me.... and are the center caps related to my problem? Thanks!
Old 08-11-2012, 10:55 AM   #19
There's a mod for that!

w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
Wobble? = balancing issue.

The center cap slides in from the inside. Because of that, the edge of the center cap on the inside of the rim would interfere with the ring you would want to use because it would have to sit on top of it.

If the cap is too tight, have them send you new ones and return those. That's my only suggestion. It looks like you bought them or had them installed at Dsicount Tire? They should be able to take care of you there. If not, talk to the manager now before you start putting on miles on them.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:04 AM   #20
Jon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
Jon850FL's Tacoma Gallery
looks clean