Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Off roading Fun

Old 08-10-2012, 08:37 PM   #1
TAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Petros "Peter" AGE: 41
TAC1's Tacoma Gallery
Off roading Fun

Hello Forum,

I know this isn't hardcore (it's only 2WD) but my 2 boys, wife & myself had a blast:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weOiRc3w6W8
This was my 1st time off roading with my 2WD 4.0 Tacoma so I was very cautious. I did end up going through the trail that I mentioned in the video as "too risky" after I recorded this. It wasn't that bad. My truck did just fine for what it is & for my amateur skills. LOL!
The point here is that my 2 boys & I had a blast! My wife had fun too except for the fact that she gets car sick. This isn't just a smooth, muddy surface. In most areas it has small boulders & rutts underneath the mud so you literally drive 5 mph & you are bouncing in the truck. The sidewalls of my tires have scuff marks due to these rocks that are under the mud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDN52zLY80w
Here I am leaving the wooded area. When I drive out I fishtailed to the right then to the left (on purpose) & my wife thought that I was going to hit the rocks! LOL! We had fun! Once we drove home & my wife was feeling less nauseous she said it was fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H62TXOmRZe4
Here I am with my youngest son & my wife. I folowed the trucks since I am not too familiar with the area. If they weren't there I would have walked it. I won't take a chance & one of the guys out there told me that there is a lake to the left of this so you have to be careful. There is mud in the other surrounding areas but I had fun with this & cleaning mud off of a truck is a P.I.T.A.! As it is it took a while to get it cleaned the next day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvBAK71A6NY
This is just showing the entrance to the flooded area that I drove through in the previous video. Its fun but this has me looking to buy an ATV soon. I don't want to break my reliable daily driver.

I don't know why the videos look a little shaky. It's my 1st time posting vids.
ENJOY!
Old 08-11-2012, 09:10 AM   #2
prerunner11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunner11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunner11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunner11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunner11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunner11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunner11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunner11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunner11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunner11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunner11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ryan
prerunner11's Tacoma Gallery
So in your last video at the very beginning, you're going over that bump. Your had one back tire in the air while still going uphill. Do you remember if your locker on during that, or LSD was kicking in?

Interesting to see the videos and what prerunners can do. Thanks!
Old 08-11-2012, 09:12 AM   #3
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Looks fun!! Glad you had a blast! Your wife is hilarious!! LOL
Old 08-11-2012, 10:13 AM   #4
TAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TAC1's Tacoma Gallery
I noticed the same thing when I uploaded the vids. I WISH I had a Locker or LSD but I don't have either. From what I've read on this forum and I've learned from my little bit of off-road experience I can say this: Momentum is your friend. I have considered having a locker or LSD installed but when I consider the cost & the fact that my truck is trouble free I don't want to mess with my open diff.

I've driven through places where other off-roaders have told me that only 4WD's can go through and I've made it through just fine. For the minor off-roading that I do I am happy with what I have. I have a 1.5 AAL installed already and Billies on the way which I will set the front at .85. Tires help tremendously and tapping your gas pedal while going through mud slowly, helps also.

Now, if in the future I ever have an issue with the rear end of the truck and it has to get worked on, then I'll go ahead and add a Detroit LSD or something to that effect but I can honestly say that I have not felt a need for it.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:28 AM   #6
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Videos look great man! Looks like you guys had a blast with your new toy! It's dam addicting. Your wife sounded so nervous haha! Eventually she will get used to it, and won't panic during everything you do. On the topic of a locker...if you have a grand, seriously invest in a good rear ARB locker. Being an open diff 2wd sucks ass, and being able to lock the rear end will help out A LOT and can save you from getting stuck in the stupidest situations. If you haven't felt a need for a locker yet, you will. The places that the guys said 4wd only...don't think you can make it through all of them with an open diff 2wd. Eventually you will look for slightly harder and harder stuff, and that one wheel drive is going to be frustrating.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:33 AM   #7
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
and +1 for family off roading fun! Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:01 PM   #8

TAC1's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you IDtrucks & DEEVON911,
IDtrucks, you could be right.
It IS addicting!
If I feel the need for the Locker eventually then I'll probably do it.
You make valid points.

THANKS!!!
Old 08-11-2012, 01:43 PM   #10
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
A locker is better for offroad.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #11
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAC1 View Post
BTW, is the Detroit True Trac LSD good for my use?
The problem with the auto lockers (despite them being significantly cheaper) is that they are not a true locker, and may not perform up to the same level as a full select able locker, and they suck ass on road. They can lock up on road (which is very bad) and cause problems. A true select able locker is your best bet and you will be more satisfied with it in the long run.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #12
Free Man
Hurtin Albertan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHurtin Albertan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHurtin Albertan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHurtin Albertan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHurtin Albertan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHurtin Albertan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHurtin Albertan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHurtin Albertan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHurtin Albertan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHurtin Albertan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHurtin Albertan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Duck
Hurtin Albertan's Tacoma Gallery
X2 for the ARB locker You sure looked like you were having fun, thanks for sharing that smile.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:16 PM   #14
drinking whats on sale
92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92dlxman's Tacoma Gallery
i've heard good and bad about running a true-trac. these guys thought you were talking a "lunchbox" locker, but its not, its an lsd, as he said.

the good: awesome limited slip action, almost to the point of completely being locked. which means good on and off-road manners. no friction material to wear out and fail. which also means you dont need a limited slip additive to your diff oil. (dont quote me on that one). i had a friend who ran a true trac in the front, and his front tires would work together on some tough obstacles, but remain driveable without "pushing" too bad through turns.

the bad: i heard of cases in which certain bolts inside the unit would back out, get caught on stuff, and dominate a differential. not to mention the unit itself, and they ARE expensive.

i also heard that this problem has since been solved and no longer affects people.

sorry i dont have any real-world experience, but theres my input. bottom line being that if i had the money, i would have at least one of these in my truck. i think its a very cool design that offers up a slight advantage to a locker, but i think of it best in the front end of a 4x4 vehicle