1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thoughts on Hydrogen Generator Kits??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by swimmer1, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Aug 13, 2012 at 9:35 AM
    Kurdain

Kurdain Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Actually unleaded gasoline engines require the hardened seats.
    The lead in leaded gasoline was what 'lubricated' the valve seats before unleaded fuel came about.

You can still run unleaded fuel without the hardened seats, just your valve-seat life is reduced.

2. Aug 13, 2012 at 9:58 AM
    hladun

hladun Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    The hydrogen generator system works, but you're spending 10 to make 7. Only governments see that as economy.

3. Aug 13, 2012 at 10:44 AM
    BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk I support a velociraptor free workplace.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcelasaurus
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The Scarlett Whore
    Check Build Thread!!
    ??? There is plenty of people using the torque app to measure fuel usage and saying it works great. Here's the thread on it.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/performance-tuning/183560-write-up-torque-app-obd2-reader.html

I know personally I was actually getting a lot lower mpg readings until I corrected the settings to U.S. Imperial gallons versus the British Imperial gallons.

4. Aug 13, 2012 at 1:03 PM
    charles leandro

charles leandro Well-Known Member

Member:
    north alabama
    Vehicle:
    08 perrunner dc sr5
    none
    IT ONELY WORKS ON CARB ENGINES NOT FUEL INJECTED

5. Aug 13, 2012 at 1:09 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    I meant to say it was unleaded that required the hardened seats. I can't remember the exact year, though I am sure someone will know, that they stopped selling leaded gas. My old Mustang, when I finally had to run unleaded, I had to put an additive in the gasoline. Wasn't too expensive as I recall.

And I guess nobody here seems to realize what I mean when I say the THEORY is sound. What I am saying is that IF you could provide enough HHO to the engine, it WILL run off of it. So the THEORY IS SOUND, it is the APPLICATION that still needs work. People, READ. Enough said.

6. Aug 13, 2012 at 6:15 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    And for the most part, they are snake oil.
    If something can improve MPG without having a negative impact on the engine or maintenance costs, the manufacturers will be doing it.

You can do MINOR tweaks to improve economy at the cost of power, or you can tweak to gain more power at the cost of economy, but with manufacturers being under CAFE standards, they are doing everything they can to improve mileage of the fleet so they can continue to offer "gas hog" vehicles.

I won't say that I've seen it all, but I've seen a LOT in the last 45 years. I've lived through multiple "energy crises" including two where we actually had gas rationing... could only buy gas every other day... and that was IF the station still had any left by the time you got to the pump after waiting in line from 5 to 7am.

People have been hocking "gadgets" and chemicals for over 40 years that all promise to give you a 10% improvement in fuel economy.

At best, they do nothing.
    Occasionally, they cost economy.
    At worst, they can cause damage.
    Slick-50 and other PTFE treatments are a prime example.
    Dupont went so far so as to stop selling PTFE to the Slick-50 company (it was a big MLM thing in the late 70s), and got dragged into court.
    The court ruled that Dupont could not force a "customer" to use their product in any specific manner, they could only prohibit the customer from using their trademark "Teflon" without permission.

So Slick-50 resumed making PTFE additives, but left MLM and went to OTC, and STP and a few other companies did the same.
    Meanwhile, Dupont issued a release that PTFE should not be used in the lubrication system of an ICE, and that manufacturer claims of PTFE "bondng" to engine parts was false.
    At the same time, Slick-50 went from being a lifetime treatment to a "use it every oil change" product.

If PTFE did anything positive to improve economy, the EPA would require it's addition to motor oils, just as they have mandated the changes in additive packages over the years through the API grades (is SN out yet?).

7. Aug 13, 2012 at 6:20 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Barely... you were only 5 when it was phased out ;)

Cats were added to most passenger cars in 1974.
    Some were exempt... the VW air-cooled engines, and the Honda CVCC for some reason did not require it immediately.
    Cats weren't added to pickups until later, but by that time, leaded fuel was gone except for AVGas.

8. Aug 13, 2012 at 7:46 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    NOPE! I knew I remembered buying it in high school, so I looked it up. Though it began to be phased out in the mid 70s, it was not actually outlawed until 1986! I bought my Mustang in 1985.

9. Aug 13, 2012 at 7:56 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Wow... we couldn't get it here in California after '76 or so.

"Low Lead" became available before '74, and I think unleaded availability did predate cats by a year or so.
    "Low lead" replaced regular leaded during the transition, but leaded was long gone by the time I started driving in '78.

10. Aug 13, 2012 at 8:36 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Think about where the ECU gets its fuel consumption, probably the fuel injectors (i.e. cyl 2 injector on for X millisec, so Y picoliters of fuel sprayed). While this is accurate enough for instantaneous mpg, over time the errors add up. Only accurate method for average mpg is to record the odometer between fill-ups.

My Subaru has the fuel milage built into the clock/airbag display. In normal around-town driving, instantaneous mpg fluctuates wildly between 7 mpg and 110 mpg.

11. Aug 13, 2012 at 8:46 PM
    anormis

anormis Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    St. Charles MO.
    Vehicle:
    BarcelonaRed 2010 D.C V6 4.0 Liter 4x4
    Hunter trucks brush guard, pcd performance chip, tailgate theft mod,blacked out badges, painted engine cover, black tail lights, modded mud flaps, painted black grill, seat belt beep mod, rear TSB!.yellow fogs red led map lights. Painted switches black, painted hood scoop, black center console and overhead console. Black wheels! Red calipers.
    I have seen it work.

12. Aug 13, 2012 at 9:03 PM
    willie64

willie64 Willie64

Member:
    First Name:
    willie64
    BEND OR
    Vehicle:
    (slowly becoming less than) Stock '03 3.4L 4x4 TRD SR5
    144 watt led lights on front 36 watts x2 led on the back, cb, Kenwood ham, icon 3" lift, 285/75/16 Fierce Attitude tires, JoeZilla sliders, 4x innovation rear bumper, ARB front bumper. Snorkel. On the workbench: more stuff I can't afford.
    I have to agree with the Snake OIl comments. When I was in Grad school I thought I would make an "investment" to try and save $some ca$h as gas prices skyrocketed. I did a lot of research and finally chose a snake oil saleman/ company. I could have saved the $900 for gas (or better yet upgrades for the truck e.g. skid plates and a lift). I have yet to meet anyone that has actually bought or made one of these with any success, (several friends have tried since my excursion). In theory it is a great idea, in reality it can't seem to work. I guess there are several bugs to work out.

13. Aug 13, 2012 at 9:28 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    My UG is pretty close. Normally on a 350 mile tank, my trip MPG on the Ultragauge is within 0.2 mpg of calculated.

Ya... instant will go to 150+ coasting down hill.

14. Aug 13, 2012 at 9:33 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    1 - Conservation of Energy
    2 - Thermodynamics
    3 - Entropy

You can toy with 2 a bit, but you can't get energy from nothing, and no energy conversion is 100% efficient.

Even with 100% efficiency (impossible in this universe), your best case is a break-even.
    The only alternative is to introduce energy into the system from an external source.

Plug-in hybrid if you will....

Onboard batteries charged from a charging station used to drive the hydrogen generator.
    Solar cells on the roof used to charge onboard batteries at all times (so you can still run the system at night).
    Etc...

A closed-loop system can not produce it's own fuel.

15. Aug 13, 2012 at 9:55 PM
    willie64

willie64 Willie64

Member:
    First Name:
    willie64
    BEND OR
    Vehicle:
    (slowly becoming less than) Stock '03 3.4L 4x4 TRD SR5
    144 watt led lights on front 36 watts x2 led on the back, cb, Kenwood ham, icon 3" lift, 285/75/16 Fierce Attitude tires, JoeZilla sliders, 4x innovation rear bumper, ARB front bumper. Snorkel. On the workbench: more stuff I can't afford.
    A closed-loop system can not produce it's own fuel.[/QUOTE]

yep, I agree. I learned my lesson the expensive way.

16. Aug 14, 2012 at 3:22 AM
    Raylo

Raylo Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra SR5 OffRoad; (2009 Tacoma - sold)
    All stock, except for audio and convenience add-ons
    As we learned the first 2 laws of thermodynamics in physics 101:
    1. You can't win.
    2. You can't even break even.

17. Aug 14, 2012 at 11:49 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    Saw an interesting hybrid concept. It's a hydraulic hybrid as opposed to an electrical one. It generates hydraulic pressure from stopping and releases that pressure to start the vehicle moving again. It's primary use right now is going to be large trucks that do a lot of stopping and starting, e.g. delivery trucks, garbage trucks and buses.

Supposedly this company achieved 60% fuel efficiency increase in the lab and 50% in real world use (UPS trucks delivering in Detroit). Another big advantage is it's cheaper than an electric hybrid because it doesn't use the expensive batteries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hc1iAhX8EWg

18. Aug 14, 2012 at 12:13 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Evil Monkey, that's an awesome concept! I hope it catches on. Seems to work and no batteries.

19. Aug 14, 2012 at 12:24 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    Here's an F-150 prototype:
    http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/0...velop-40-mpg-hydraulic-hybrid-powertrain.html

This company (NRG Dynamics) is making small retrofit devices that will be able to convert an existing vehicle into an hydraulic hybrid. One of the applications they noted that would benefit are off-road vehicles. Their goal is a 2-year return on investment (ROI).

http://www.nrgdynamix.com/video.php

20. Aug 14, 2012 at 2:40 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Technology is sound. The biggest drawback to hydraulic drive is the lower efficiency. Whereas electric motors and generators 90-95% efficient, hydraulic motors and pumps are around 70% efficient. So by simply pressurizing the accumulator and then using it to drive the wheels, you lose half the energy. If the actual hardware is a series-hybrid like it's shown in the diagram, then highway milage will be worse than a conventional diesel truck, but this can be resolved by adding a direct-drive mode to the the pump/motor assembly.

The benefit to hydraulic drive is the much lighter weight, so there's no payload penalty.

Products Discussed in

To Top