Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

TOWING WiTH 4.0 V6

Old 08-11-2012, 12:33 AM   #1
cleveland48 is on a distinguished road

Name: Andrew
cleveland48's Tacoma Gallery
TOWING WiTH 4.0 V6

Just wondering when y'all are towing with your automatic v6 do u leave it in drive or 4th.? I have a 2012 dcsb off road and I'll be trailering my Polaris ranger 800 tm. Will not be on interstate only back roads. About 55 mph is all u can go bc of curves and hill. Oh and the truck has the tow package. This is my first automatic all my other vehicles were stick shifts. Thanks for any advice
Old 08-11-2012, 12:34 AM   #2
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
You won't even notice that little thing on the back of your truck. Leave it in drive for that little guy. You'll start feeling the weight at around 2500 pounds, but it wont slow you down much. I pulled a loaded u-haul, around 4k pounds I figure since I rolled over the scales at 9k pounds, and even through the rockies I still maintained the speed limit.

The heaviest load I've towed has been a 93 civic on a dual axle uhaul trailer. She pulled it, but didn't like it much.... worst part was stopping it without a trailer brake setup.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:35 AM   #3
AKA Crash Bandicoot
ChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: National Guard: Infantry/ROTC Cadet
Name: Cam
ChamYota's Tacoma Gallery
I haven't towed any ridiculous weights in mine yet but I leave mine in D if i can, I've never had to put it in 4, hope that helps.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:10 AM   #4

Thanks a lot guys didn't figure anyone would be up this early I was bored at work. While Im on here if your off road does it make a difference whether your in 4th or D when u have a-track or the LSD on? Just curious if it works regardless of gear selection? Thanks
Old 08-11-2012, 05:04 AM   #5
08TacoTrD will become famous soon enough
08TacoTrD's Tacoma Gallery
The purpose of shifting into 4th is to keep the tranny from switching between gears going up and down hills. With a light load it shouldn't hunt but if you're in a hilly section and it starts hunting just bump it down to 4th.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:06 AM   #6

Thanks for all the replies guys, Im a rookie to an automatic always drove stick shifts and didn't really know what was the best way to do it and be easy on the tranny
Old 08-11-2012, 10:06 AM   #7
asphinctersayswhat?
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08TacoTrD View Post
The purpose of shifting into 4th is to keep the tranny from switching between gears going up and down hills. With a light load it shouldn't hunt but if you're in a hilly section and it starts hunting just bump it down to 4th.
x2

if you find it all switching gears too muh, trying to figure out which gear to be in, then keep in 4th. Same thing goes for cruise control, don't do it because your truck will be switching gears, which is ultimately bad for your transmission
Old 08-11-2012, 10:19 AM   #8
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
If it starts hunting for gears you need 4th. If it shifts normal then leave it in drive.

No need to push any other buttons. Just drive.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:31 AM   #9

Another question what is this TSB for 4 leaf springs i keep reading about on here? The trailer and ranger made the a$$ end sag quite a bit. My off road only has the 3 leaf pack. Does the dealer do this for you and how much is it. Truck just now hit 6000 miles and is 3 months old. Also sags quite a bit with a 4 wheeler in the bed.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:33 AM   #10
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
The tsb packs are 4 leaf..dealer will do it for free if you vin is in the tsb program
Old 08-11-2012, 10:36 AM   #11
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Good luck with that TSB. Some dealers do it without question and others deny it. Also they replace the factory crap springs with just a teenie tiny less crappy springs.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:08 AM   #12
asphinctersayswhat?
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
Hitch up your trailer, sagged rear end and all, then head to your nearest dealership
Old 08-12-2012, 12:32 AM   #13

Alright thanks a lot guys