Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Headlight clear covers...

Old 08-11-2012, 05:15 PM   #1
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Headlight clear covers...

Anyone install these?

just got a set delivered via fedX. may do the install tomorrow.

any install tips?

thanks.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:27 PM   #2
SoCal Tacomas
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Nope but I'm interested to see
Old 08-11-2012, 05:29 PM   #3
JustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
JustinL's Tacoma Gallery
I've heard a hair dryer / heat gun helps and clean the hell out of your headlights before installing.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:32 PM   #4
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
I have always been curious about ... how well the covers work ... and FL sunshine will be a good test.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:34 PM   #5
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinL View Post
I've heard a hair dryer / heat gun helps and clean the hell out of your headlights before installing.
... ^^^ ... A little scrubbing with 80 grit should do the job. ... ...
Old 08-11-2012, 08:43 PM   #6
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ht-guards.html
Old 08-11-2012, 09:45 PM   #7
brianv3ntura is on a distinguished road
brianv3ntura's Tacoma Gallery
To me,, this is a big waste of money. just routinely clean,polish, and wax the headlights. the film will end up hazing and yellowing later.

1) clean the headlights. since its a '12, it shouldnt be that bad.

2) personally i wouldnt use a heat source until install is done. stretching using heat is bad in the long run.

3) make sure youre in a dust free area. dont want dust to get under the film.

4) i would spray a diluted solution of soapy water. a light coat...enough to move the film around instead of testing your luck and have it fit the first time.

5) use a hair dryer or heat gun to dry.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:45 AM   #8
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker_troy View Post
thanks

after seeing that thread...I may have them professionally installed.

there is a local guy here who does "stealth sheild", and has already quoted me other work...and said he'd do the headlights as well (with his product or the weathertech stuff)
Old 08-12-2012, 06:50 AM   #9
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianv3ntura View Post
To me,, this is a big waste of money. just routinely clean,polish, and wax the headlights. the film will end up hazing and yellowing later.

1) clean the headlights. since its a '12, it shouldnt be that bad.

2) personally i wouldnt use a heat source until install is done. stretching using heat is bad in the long run.

3) make sure youre in a dust free area. dont want dust to get under the film.

4) i would spray a diluted solution of soapy water. a light coat...enough to move the film around instead of testing your luck and have it fit the first time.

5) use a hair dryer or heat gun to dry.
owners manual specificaly says not to use way or polish onthe clear headlamp covers.

The instructions say to use a 1/3 ratio alcohol/water soultion. I have done other vinyl lettering in the past and used our method of diluted soapy water.

the instructions also suggest heating the headlamps (buy turning them on) for a little...and using a blow dryer as heat sourse to work the edges...

may be why others have had pucker problems on the corners?