Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Need Help removing the Factory UCA's from the spindle

Old 08-11-2012, 05:18 PM   #1
HonoluluTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHonoluluTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHonoluluTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHonoluluTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHonoluluTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHonoluluTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHonoluluTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHonoluluTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHonoluluTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHonoluluTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHonoluluTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Got out quite awhile ago
Name: Koi
HonoluluTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Need Help removing the Factory UCA's from the spindle

Aloha,
So I'm almost through with installing my lift this weekend, but am stuck on how to remove the factory uniball bolt from the spindle. I got the castle nut off, but can't detach the uca from the spindle. I thought after dealing with the 12" bolts that Toyota installed the toughest way possible on the UCS's I was on the down hill slope, then stuck on this.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:21 PM   #2
trooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Spencer
trooper12's Tacoma Gallery
just whack the spindle with a hammer and it will pop right off
Old 08-11-2012, 05:22 PM   #3
BillJC is on a distinguished road

Name: Bill
BillJC's Tacoma Gallery
Either a big hammer or a ball joint separator.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:46 PM   #5
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Get two small sledge hammers. Hold one against one side of the spindle and hit the opposite side pretty hard with the smaller of the two or the other. Then alternate with hitting them at the same time.

Ya know... right where the ball joint goes through the tapered hole of the spindle. This always seems to work for me with all ball tapered ball joints.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:01 PM   #6
ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!
Bama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bama_TACO's Tacoma Gallery
I can smack mine 2 times (on the flat spot of the spindle where the ball joint passes through it) with a five pound sledge and it will pop right loose. Leave the castle nut threaded on the very end of the ball joint so it doesn't come flying off.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:34 PM   #8
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Took long enough. We thought you were going to the Hospital.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:35 PM   #9
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama_TACO View Post
I can smack mine 2 times (on the flat spot of the spindle where the ball joint passes through it) with a five pound sledge and it will pop right loose. Leave the castle nut threaded on the very end of the ball joint so it doesn't come flying off.
Just some FYI, It won't go flying if you loosen the UCA to frame bolt first. The energy inside the bushings under a load is what whips the UCA up.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:52 PM   #10
TruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant future

Name: Tru
TruKnight's Tacoma Gallery
when in doubt, smack with sledgehammer?

noted for when I get aroud to this.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:18 PM   #12
ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!
Bama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bama_TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texoma View Post
Just some FYI, It won't go flying if you loosen the UCA to frame bolt first. The energy inside the bushings under a load is what whips the UCA up.
I am aware of that, but if I was removing the UCAs I would loosen it from the ball joint first so it wouldn't be under any pressure trying to get the big bolt out.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:49 PM   #13
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama_TACO View Post
I am aware of that, but if I was removing the UCAs I would loosen it from the ball joint first so it wouldn't be under any pressure trying to get the big bolt out.

I meant to loosen the UCA to frame bolt, not remove it, in order to take the pressure off of the bushings so that the UCA doesn't come flying up when the BJ is undone from the spindle. After BJ is removed from the spindle, then you can remove the UCA to frome bolt. Order of operations my friend.