1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need Help removing the Factory UCA's from the spindle

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by HonoluluTaco, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Aug 11, 2012 at 5:18 PM
    HonoluluTaco

HonoluluTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Koi
    Reston Virginia
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD 4x4 OffRoad DC/SB
    2010 TRD OffRoad DC/SB, 285/70/17 KM2's, Mickey Thompson Classic Locks, Total Chaos UCA's King 2.5 RR Coilover 3" AllPro Leaf Pack, 2.0 Fox RR, Ubolt flip kit, MBRP dual cat back, URD TCAI and MAF Calibrator, TRD Sport Hood w/ scoop, E&G Classics Custom Stainless Grill, Color matched grill and door handles WeatherTech floor mats, FormulaOne Pinacle 15%+Air blue windshield Tint, RedLine hood struts, TRD 3rd Brake light Decal, Relentless Fab Hybrid 2 piece Sliders with Kick out Relentless Fab Aluminum Front bumper, Relentless steel rear bumper, Relentless Steel IFS B.A.M.F LCA Skids, w/ Rear Diff Skid ordered In my Spare room waiting to be installed sits, Wet Okoles, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod, SockMonkey Hawaii TRD OffRoad Decal, Big box of Rammat, Speakers and Custom Sub from Mr.Marv,
    Aloha,
    So I'm almost through with installing my lift this weekend, but am stuck on how to remove the factory uniball bolt from the spindle. I got the castle nut off, but can't detach the uca from the spindle. I thought after dealing with the 12" bolts that Toyota installed the toughest way possible on the UCS's I was on the down hill slope, then stuck on this.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Aug 11, 2012 at 5:21 PM
    trooper12

trooper12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Spencer
    Trabuco Canyon, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 SR5 PreRunner
    maxtrac 4" lift spindles, wheelers 1.5" 3 leaf pack. nothin special...
    just whack the spindle with a hammer and it will pop right off

3. Aug 11, 2012 at 5:22 PM
    BillJC

BillJC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Novato, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 White SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Either a big hammer or a ball joint separator.
    [​IMG]

4. Aug 11, 2012 at 5:33 PM
    HonoluluTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Koi
    Reston Virginia
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD 4x4 OffRoad DC/SB
    2010 TRD OffRoad DC/SB, 285/70/17 KM2's, Mickey Thompson Classic Locks, Total Chaos UCA's King 2.5 RR Coilover 3" AllPro Leaf Pack, 2.0 Fox RR, Ubolt flip kit, MBRP dual cat back, URD TCAI and MAF Calibrator, TRD Sport Hood w/ scoop, E&G Classics Custom Stainless Grill, Color matched grill and door handles WeatherTech floor mats, FormulaOne Pinacle 15%+Air blue windshield Tint, RedLine hood struts, TRD 3rd Brake light Decal, Relentless Fab Hybrid 2 piece Sliders with Kick out Relentless Fab Aluminum Front bumper, Relentless steel rear bumper, Relentless Steel IFS B.A.M.F LCA Skids, w/ Rear Diff Skid ordered In my Spare room waiting to be installed sits, Wet Okoles, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod, SockMonkey Hawaii TRD OffRoad Decal, Big box of Rammat, Speakers and Custom Sub from Mr.Marv,
    Cool I'll go try that now thanks

5. Aug 11, 2012 at 5:46 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Get two small sledge hammers. Hold one against one side of the spindle and hit the opposite side pretty hard with the smaller of the two or the other. Then alternate with hitting them at the same time.

Ya know... right where the ball joint goes through the tapered hole of the spindle. This always seems to work for me with all ball tapered ball joints.

6. Aug 11, 2012 at 6:01 PM
    Bama_TACO

Bama_TACO ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!

Member:
    Winfield, AL
    Vehicle:
    2006 PreRunner Double Cab TRD SPORT
    I can smack mine 2 times (on the flat spot of the spindle where the ball joint passes through it) with a five pound sledge and it will pop right loose. Leave the castle nut threaded on the very end of the ball joint so it doesn't come flying off.

7. Aug 11, 2012 at 6:32 PM
    HonoluluTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Koi
    Reston Virginia
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD 4x4 OffRoad DC/SB
    Sweet it worked like a charm, appreate it guys.
    I love this forum!!!

8. Aug 11, 2012 at 6:34 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Took long enough. We thought you were going to the Hospital.

9. Aug 11, 2012 at 6:35 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Just some FYI, It won't go flying if you loosen the UCA to frame bolt first. The energy inside the bushings under a load is what whips the UCA up.

10. Aug 11, 2012 at 6:52 PM
    TruKnight

TruKnight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tru
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Autobot Mall Crawler
    read build thread
    when in doubt, smack with sledgehammer?

noted for when I get aroud to this.

11. Aug 11, 2012 at 7:16 PM
    HonoluluTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Koi
    Reston Virginia
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD 4x4 OffRoad DC/SB
    Yeah those f'n 12" bolts were rediculous to get off.
    Now just waiting on the USPS to deliver my TC UCA's so I can get back on the road.
    Appreciate all the help guys..

12. Aug 11, 2012 at 8:18 PM
    Bama_TACO

Bama_TACO ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!

Member:
    Winfield, AL
    Vehicle:
    2006 PreRunner Double Cab TRD SPORT
    I am aware of that, but if I was removing the UCAs I would loosen it from the ball joint first so it wouldn't be under any pressure trying to get the big bolt out.

13. Aug 12, 2012 at 12:49 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more

I meant to loosen the UCA to frame bolt, not remove it, in order to take the pressure off of the bushings so that the UCA doesn't come flying up when the BJ is undone from the spindle. After BJ is removed from the spindle, then you can remove the UCA to frome bolt. Order of operations my friend.

Products Discussed in

To Top