1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4 Questions

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Snickrz, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Aug 2, 2007 at 8:38 AM
    Snickrz

Snickrz [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hey guys, buying a Taco in a month and trying to get some idea of what I want.

1.) If I buy an Off-Road, can I get color match door handles from the dealer?

If not I am going to probably buy a Sport

2.) Has anyone ever put a sunroof in a 2nd Gen? Pics?

I have a Tundra now with a sunroof and my 4Runner had one too...hard to give up

3.) Does anyone know why SET (Southeast Toyota) will not get me a Taco with the 6-Disc and audio control on the wheel?

Again, I have them on the Tundra. The closest state to GA that carries Taco's with the six disc is Mississippi...should I buy there?

4.) Does anyone make a 1" or 1.5" lift for the Taco?

I was a little more clearance, but don't want to put it up high

2. Aug 2, 2007 at 9:44 AM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    The door handles would be the same, so therefor a toyota factory part, so yes if you find a dealership with a halfway competant parts manager they should be albe to get it for you, though at what price I don't know, you may be better off just having a private body shop paint yours to match.

Somewhere on this forum I have seen an aftermarket sunroof on a gen 2 taco. Might have been PB2themax's truck, but don't quote me on that one, but check through the photo section and you'll find it.

You should be able to get the six disc in Florida. My parents were down there about 7 months ago when I ordered mine up here, and told me that they had seen the exact truck I had ordered on a lot down there.

I believe that what you are looking at lift wise is called a "leveling kit". Noting that the taco's sit higher in the rear than the front, a leveling kit will lift the front by 1.5 to 2 inches, so that the truck sits level. I am not sure if you can get anything less than 3 inches for the rear.

3. Aug 2, 2007 at 9:58 AM
    Snickrz

Member:
    I know a really good shop in town who does a lot of Toyota work and he indicated that it would take some work on their part to get the handles on an "Offroad" as smooth as on the "Sport". So, buying them would be easier. (if availible) I am leaning towards a "Sport" anyway and I am planning on trying the mod I mentioned in the Incross post (custom building that grill) and that will look good on a sport.

I will look for the sunroof'd truck..Thanks

I will look in Florida for a truck. That is the one thing I hate about Toyota (SET really), even if it is in the brochure there is a chance you will have to go through hell or highwater to get that option.

I thought that the leveling kit was my best option. I want it a little bigger, but not huge!

Thanks!

4. Aug 2, 2007 at 10:13 AM
    Panama Red

Panama Red Well-Known Member

Member:
    Snickrz:
    You can also replace your shocks with Bilstein 5100 shocks. They have several slots on the front shocks so you can move your spring perches up (raise the front) and still keep your stock factory springs. Each of the 5100's front shock slots are 0.85" higher than the slot below for a total of 2.5" at the top slot. I plan on buying these shocks and just raising my PreRunner by one slot (0.85") so it sits a little more level with out worrying about all the other alignment, vibration, etc problems with a full 3" lift.

5. Aug 2, 2007 at 10:15 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    As far as the sunroof i think that would be a bad idea. I have heard multiple complaints regarding aftermaket sunroof mods. The top of the Taco roof is ridged which makes leak prevention very hard. I went from having a car with a sunroof to not having one. I miss it at times but not enough to butcher my new truck. But like i said, ive heard many complaints about aftermarket sunroofs leaking and not working right

6. Aug 2, 2007 at 10:16 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    Just out of curiosity how much do those 5100's run?

7. Aug 2, 2007 at 10:23 AM
    Panama Red

Member:
    ndcouch:
    You can get all 4 for $338 here:

8. Aug 2, 2007 at 10:46 AM
    Snickrz

Member:
    After reading a few posts I am going to wait to see if it is an option on the 2008. If it is not, then there will be no sunroof in my Taco. I have several friends who put sunroofs in the 1st Gen and they were great, but the 2nd Gen is just not accomdation with the roof design. I am, however, going to demand my steering wheel controls and the 6-disc in-dash.

9. Aug 2, 2007 at 11:01 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    Correct me if I'm wrong, you are raising your PreRunner .85" all the way around just by upgrading your shocks? I am interested in this, but I like to know what all is involved first.

Little hint - I know NOTHING about suspension.:(

10. Aug 2, 2007 at 11:12 AM
    Snickrz

Member:
    Ok, so I could add a leaf in the back (1"), put bilsteins all around and then set the fronts to 1.85? Sounds good to me!

11. Aug 2, 2007 at 11:24 AM
    Bfmco7

Bfmco7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    that sounds like a good plan but.. will the add a leaf void the warranty or will the shocks void the warranty? Also.. what size tires will the truck hold with just 1" in the back and 1.85" in the front. I am interested to know

thanks

12. Aug 2, 2007 at 11:38 AM
    Snickrz

Member:
    The add-a-leaf could cause some issues with warranty, but the shocks will not. I am just looking to go up a size or so on the tires to set it apart from other Taco's. I will most likely level the front, maybe upgrade the tires, and just drive it.

13. Aug 8, 2007 at 12:48 PM
    tacomaB

tacomaB Member

Member:
    Daystar makes a 1" coil spacer also, which will allow you to use the existing shock. See "leveling kits", or wench product on the Daystar web site...$40.00

14. Aug 8, 2007 at 12:51 PM
    tacomaB

tacomaB Member

Member:
    oh.. and you can get universal 1,1/2" blocks from "Superlift" to raise back end. They actually fit nice and retain factory ride.. $35.00. Can keep existing shocks.

15. Aug 8, 2007 at 12:54 PM
    Snickrz

Member:
    Great, I will look into that!

16. Aug 8, 2007 at 12:58 PM
    Panama Red

Member:
    Not quite, I only plan on raising the front by 0.85" to level it out a little bit (leaving the back height stock). After reading about all the problems to many people are having when they raise their trucks 3" (vibrations, rubbing, cv joints, etc), raising the front 0.85" to level it out should be a "piece of cake".

I will buy all four 5100 shocks though since shocks are all valved the same. Mixing different shocks (brand or type) can give you strange results.

Products Discussed in

To Top