LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Chassis and drive line lubing

Old 08-12-2012, 10:25 AM   #1
hardtaco will become famous soon enoughhardtaco will become famous soon enough

hardtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Chassis and drive line lubing

I bought an 08 certified pre owned DC with 31,000 miles on it, and do my own oil changes. I am getting ready to hit 45,000 miles and am curious as to how often our chassis / drive lines need to be greased, and what actually gets greased. I would think it would have been done when it was getting serviced before I bought it, but I am wondering what this interval should be.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:17 AM   #2
Enzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to behold
Name: Opie
Enzo's Tacoma Gallery
Your truck didn't come with an owners manual?
Old 08-12-2012, 11:23 AM   #3
Wishin' I was Fishin'
landphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shed

landphil's Tacoma Gallery
You pre-runner shouldn't need any greasing if all original, they have sealed u joints and front end components. The 4wds have grease fittings on the u joints only, I do mine at least every oil change, sometimes several times in between, depending on the conditions I use the truck in. Mud, deep snow, water...
Old 08-12-2012, 02:37 PM   #4
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by landphil View Post
You pre-runner shouldn't need any greasing if all original, they have sealed u joints and front end components. The 4wds have grease fittings on the u joints only, I do mine at least every oil change, sometimes several times in between, depending on the conditions I use the truck in. Mud, deep snow, water...
I cannot speak for all the 2012's, but I got curious after reading this and my 2012 Pre-Runner does indeed have Zerk Fittings on all the universal joints. I'm happy that it does. I do believe that grease fitting will extend the life greatly if properly maintained.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:49 PM   #5
hardtaco will become famous soon enoughhardtaco will become famous soon enough

hardtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
Your truck didn't come with an owners manual?
Yes, it did. Didn't see any info on greasing anything though.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:35 PM   #6
Wishin' I was Fishin'
landphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shed

landphil's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyh View Post
I cannot speak for all the 2012's, but I got curious after reading this and my 2012 Pre-Runner does indeed have Zerk Fittings on all the universal joints. I'm happy that it does. I do believe that grease fitting will extend the life greatly if properly maintained.

Good to know, first I've heard of it, but I agree, for those of us who do maintenence, its a very good thing. The reason I said "all original" is because greasable u joints can be put in pre runners that came with sealed u joints, and some guys do.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:39 PM   #7
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah if you have em just grease em every oil change as a general rule.