1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Smittybilt G.E.A.R. seat covers?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Dirty5Thirty, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Aug 14, 2012 at 2:34 AM
    Dirty5Thirty

Dirty5Thirty [OP] TW's BAD MF'er Squad

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    Auburn, CA
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner SR5
    Dog hair
    Has anyone had any experience with these? Probably gonna pull the trigger on these things, but was curious as to if anybody has had a chance to actually get to play with them or use them?

Edit: And since I no longer own a Taco, I have no specified thread... therefore, 2nd Gen :)

[​IMG]

2. Aug 18, 2012 at 6:27 PM
    Hugger

Hugger Member

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Pro
    I would like to know if these work also! Thanks.

3. Aug 18, 2012 at 6:39 PM
    FastEddie

FastEddie Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2012 super white access cab, base model
    interested as well, those seat covers look pretty awesome

4. Aug 18, 2012 at 6:42 PM
    IndyDEW

IndyDEW Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Indianapolis
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner
    They only make them for Jeeps.

5. Aug 18, 2012 at 6:43 PM
    FastEddie

FastEddie Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2012 super white access cab, base model
    damn... I just realized that after I looked them up

6. Aug 18, 2012 at 6:49 PM
    tango down

tango down Policy Ninja

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    peoples republik of IL
    Vehicle:
    12 Taco DCSB TRD Off Road
    LED interior, rail mounted ammo cans
    Seems sort of taci-cool. But props for thinking of a way to claim some storage space

7. Aug 18, 2012 at 6:55 PM
    tostidos

tostidos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Apple Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 6spd
    I couldve sworn they made these as a generic seat cover too.

4x4Banger likes this.
  8. Aug 19, 2012 at 12:37 AM
    Dirty5Thirty

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    Auburn, CA
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner SR5
    Dog hair
    There ARE two versions. One that is a Jeep specific model, and one that is a "Universal" fit.

9. Aug 19, 2012 at 12:37 AM
    Dirty5Thirty

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    Auburn, CA
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner SR5
    Dog hair
    And it's my job to be Tacti-cool ;-)

10. Aug 19, 2012 at 1:02 AM
    SCRunner12

SCRunner12 Tundra Troll

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra DC, TRD, 4wd
    Jsmarine had them in his 4runner and liked them. Hopefully he will chime in.

11. Aug 19, 2012 at 1:25 AM
    afcivmedic

afcivmedic Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Tehachapi, Ca
    Vehicle:
    '05 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    ICON CO W RESI, ICON RES 2.0 Rear ICON UCA Snug Top Rebel Borla Cat Back DAKAR Leafs Timbren Bumpstops Distinct Offroad Sliders Black HL LED Tailights ARB Bumper with Warn Winch CBI Rear Bumper Tech Deck MaxTrax Lights by @caliraisedled
  12. Aug 19, 2012 at 5:11 AM
    EDW12B

EDW12B EDW12B

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    on the market for one
    hey man i've been looking for the same here is the best i could find. yes you will pay for it but these look way better and reviews are solid. Down fall they only come with six pouches. I happen to be in the army and have tons of extra pouches and they are usually cheap so no big. here it is

http://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.co...j&utm_campaign=cj_affiliate&utm_term=10773290

i've read reviews and other forums saying the universal shmitty built one have a poor fit even on the jeeps.

13. Aug 24, 2012 at 3:26 PM
    getoutside

getoutside Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Morgan
    Italy
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRDS 4x4, lift, cap, lights, etc.
    toytech 3" coilovers up front, 1.5" AAL in rear, CBI Offroad rock sliders, 285/70R17, Leer 100XR top w/ thule bars
    I noticed that they make these for the 2012 JK. I looked to see and the 2012's have seperate headrests. I tried to find a pic of the G.E.A.R. covers for the JK but can't see to find anything. Does someone have pics of those seat covers? I am half tempted to order a pair and see if they fit my 09.

14. Aug 24, 2012 at 3:44 PM
    taco52

taco52 01 5 speed

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Bailey, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    01 SR5 v6 5speed 4x4
    Grey wire mod, De flapped,
    Here is a guy on TTORA with them on his first gen. He has a lot of good pics

15. Aug 24, 2012 at 3:45 PM
    The Traveler

The Traveler Desert Chief

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1991 Toyota Pickup 4x4 Prerunner
  16. Aug 24, 2012 at 5:01 PM
    zonataco

zonataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have these on my '06 Rubicon. Cheap, Chi-Comm junk and not cheaply priced either.
    Great idea, shitty product.
    Even the Jeep specific set are a universal fit. Material is a PVC type or something. Does not breath at all. You'll have an advanced case of swamp ass in the summer time.
    I would not buy again.

17. Aug 24, 2012 at 7:56 PM
    Dirty5Thirty

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    Auburn, CA
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner SR5
    Dog hair
    I don't have AC, swamp ass is inevitable. I'm essentially a caveman, I can't appreciate nice things. They give me plenty of room for storage, and are more comfortable than my stock seats lol. I like them

18. Aug 24, 2012 at 8:24 PM
    Tactical Tacoma

Tactical Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    McKinney, TX
    Vehicle:
    '12 MGM DCSB Sport 4WD
    ARB air compressor, ARB rear air locker, sPOD switch panel in sunglass holder, OME Front & rear shocks, 885x coils, Dakar leaf springs, Icon tubular UCA's, Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust, aFe Pro Dry, TRD Sport wheels powder coated anthracite, FJ TRD center caps, Thule roof rack, 886 fog lights for reverse light mod, CSjumper LED DTRL's, Nokya Yellow fogs, plastidipped lower valence, Weathertechs, Wet Okoles. And MANY MORE MODS, READ BUILD!
    I hear they at cheaply made and poor quality. I looked into them back in 09. My research found that a better alternative is this. This guy had a great idea I actually ran this same stle setup, over my wet okoles on the passenger side front seat, but found it left ZERO leg room for rear passengers. Looked cool as shit though.

19. Aug 24, 2012 at 8:31 PM
    XPOTRPR

XPOTRPR CNC Programmer/Machinist

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    [2009 Supercharged Adventuretruck] & [1986 22r Minitruck]
    > BUILD LINKS >
    my Buddy Josh (outkast) got these for his reg cab... this is his review from his build thread:

Got my new Coverking tactical seat covers installed today.

Click for full-size image (1024 x 612)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The material is surprisingly comfortable and soft and isn't as wrinkly as I had expected, though as you can see it still has some significant wrinkling from shipping. Those wrinkles will go away with use and the covers will also conform to the seat better. My girlfriend likes the material because she can "slide" in and out of the seat easier. The Cordura nylon is cut and puncture resistant, and water and dirt proof. I'm expecting the material to not breathe very well, but I'm used to vinyl muscle car seats and leather sports car interiors so there won't be any issues for me there.

[​IMG]

Installation was a breeze, the construction was very precise and everything slipped on easily but snugly. The stitching is very high quality. My only complaint is that A) the sides of the covers don't contain enough material to fully cover the sides of the seat and B) there is no hook or any other provisions to tighten the sides of the covers down over the door-facing parts of the seat, as pictured below. Another notable gripe is that, in direct sunlight, the covers appear to be dark blue, not black. In the shade, the color looks ok, but that was a major point of contention for my girlfriend. Some people would be upset about this and although it wasn't a major issue to me it is something to consider if you plan on buying these seat covers.

[​IMG]

The amount of MOLLE webbing you can fit on the back of a bench seat is pretty remarkable [​IMG] I have eight compartmentalized pouches and three dump pouches on it so far and at least half of the webbing is still free for more add-ons. I was able to clean out three small tool bags, both door pockets, my glove box, the coin tray, and the cupholders that were all used for storage previously. The only things behind the seat on the floor now are my tarps, blanket, and a tool bag with large recovery gear. Things are much more organized now, and I really like how high up the seat back the webbing goes - pouches mounted in the right spots can be reached while sitting inside for essentials like flashlights, maps, and tissues, and I will also attach two more dump pouches to be used as trash bags for long road trips.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The price tag is very reasonable at less than $350 with tax and shipping, and for my needs, I think they were well worth the investment. The ruggedness of 1680 denier Cordura ballistic nylon and the versatility of nearly five unobstructed feet of Velcro and MOLLE webbing were exactly what I wanted, and I'm very pleased with the extra storage space they provide - and providing extra storage space is not an easy thing to pull off in a Regular Cab.

Overall, the fit, finish, and appearance is nowhere near what you get from something like Wet Okole covers, and there are definitely more comfortable and breathable seat covers available that are durable and waterproof, so these aren't for everyone... But for the utilitarian, outdoorsman, or survivalist, I don't think there's a better option out there.

20. Aug 25, 2012 at 3:30 PM
    getoutside

getoutside Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Morgan
    Italy
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRDS 4x4, lift, cap, lights, etc.
    toytech 3" coilovers up front, 1.5" AAL in rear, CBI Offroad rock sliders, 285/70R17, Leer 100XR top w/ thule bars
    Has anyone found anything like the G.E.A.R. seat covers but better quality, I see the coverking ones, which are ok just trying to see what else is out there. I want something that will repel water and other crud. I like the wet okole's but man that is a lot of coin to drop and someone told me they fade out quick. I just can't seem to find a whole lot, I do appreciate the ideas getting thrown around in here though.

Products Discussed in

To Top