Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Question regarding bilstein 5100's in order to LEVEL my 2012 taco DCSB

Old 08-19-2012, 04:21 PM   #22
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
the truck looks good.

but really, to answer the OP...one must define "level".

is level the pinchweld off the ground f&r?
is level the top of the bedside?
is level the edge of fenders above ground?
edge of fender above center of hub?

personally, I believe with stock rear springs or TSB or Toyota 4-pac...5100's @ 1.75 is pushing the bro look.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:30 PM   #23
kyleTRDtaco12 has a spectacular aura aboutkyleTRDtaco12 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Kyle
kyleTRDtaco12's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
the truck looks good.

personally, I believe with stock rear springs or TSB or Toyota 4-pac...5100's @ 1.75 is pushing the bro look.
yes, i agree that 1.75 is pushing it lol, thats why i set it at .85, thank you, i appreciate that you like it, and same to you I measured in 4 different spots originally, on a level surface from the floor to the rockers (pinch welds) from the floor to the fender, from the center cap to the fender, and from the top of the tire to the fender and took a look at the measurements then took the average of those measurements
Old 08-19-2012, 04:47 PM   #24
MMMMM Taco's
Taco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Taco-NB's Tacoma Gallery
Front looks lower.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:16 PM   #26
MMMMM Taco's
Taco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Taco-NB's Tacoma Gallery
2.5 on my truck with a 5th AAL on the rear. No UCA clearance issues here. I'm not saying it looks bad .... but it definately looks lower in the front.

Cheers
Old 08-19-2012, 05:48 PM   #27
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleTRDtaco12 View Post

and what is this TSB ..
It's basically an aal from Toyota to compensate for the weak leafs.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:52 PM   #28
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
the truck looks good.

That is where I'm trying to decide on this. Not that I will do anything soon, but do want to make up my mind. I know a member on here did the TSB and billy's at 1.75. He later added I believe 1" blocks to the rear to level it back out. So If I did go 1.75 I'm not sure how much lift the rear would need.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:33 PM   #29
kyleTRDtaco12 has a spectacular aura aboutkyleTRDtaco12 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco-NB View Post
2.5 on my truck with a 5th AAL on the rear. No UCA clearance issues here. I'm not saying it looks bad .... but it definately looks lower in the front.

Cheers
Thank you again , and i know its alittle lower in the front but im kinda happy it is, i took the safe route lol, and oh my bad, i meant uca clearence issues at full extention.only like when the truck is up in the air xP but yes, thank you very much again )
Old 08-19-2012, 07:44 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDawgfan View Post
That is where I'm trying to decide on this. Not that I will do anything soon, but do want to make up my mind. I know a member on here did the TSB and billy's at 1.75. He later added I believe 1" blocks to the rear to level it back out. So If I did go 1.75 I'm not sure how much lift the rear would need.
Hmm well do u happen to know what years that tsb is for?? Cause if its to correct weak rear leafs im.sure toyota took care of that issue by now, i mean my truck is a 2012 and this tsb sounds like its been.around for alittle while, so im.sure its fixed in the new models, and i also have the overload spring from the towing package witch im sure only adds to the integrity, not that i tow anything tho lol. But yeah, from the way i see it, if u set it at .85 u get a mild leveling lift from it, leaving the front slightly low and you wont have to touch anything in the rear, and the 1.75 will leave you slightly nose high making you have to add something to the rear such as the aal or a block to bring it up so it looks right with the front.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:07 PM   #31
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hmm well do u happen to know what years that tsb is for?? Cause if its to correct weak rear leafs im.sure toyota took care of that issue by now, i mean my truck is a 2012 and this tsb sounds like its been.around for alittle while, so im.sure its fixed in the new models,
This picture shows you already have the post-TSB leaf pack with 4 leafs. Pre-TSB had 3 leafs. The TSB has been around for several years, but Toyota only began to productionize it in 2012 trucks.

Seems like you went thru a lot of trouble just to raise the front by 0.85".
Old 08-19-2012, 09:38 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
This picture shows you already have the post-TSB leaf pack with 4 leafs. Pre-TSB had 3 leafs. The TSB has been around for several years, but Toyota only began to productionize it in 2012 trucks.

Haha wow really?? I had no clue, honestly, i just thought that was all part of the tow packagelol, well good stuff then and yes i did go through alot, hours and hours of research and debating but it was worth it
Old 08-20-2012, 03:04 AM   #33

Quote:

I thought the 12's had the 4 leaf already but didn't want to say w/o knowing for sure, should have looked at the pics closer.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:37 AM   #34
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I'm gonna go to the same trouble.

the approx one inch front lift puts the truck that has the 4-leaf pack rear to a factory stance of most new 6-luggers.

when I had my 2010 SR5 and had the TSB done...rear lifted a little over one inch. my 2012 Sport has the 4-leaf and has approx the same dimensions as the 2010 post TSB.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:55 PM   #35

Quote:
I'm gonna go to the same trouble.

the approx one inch front lift puts the truck that has the 4-leaf pack rear to a factory stance of most new 6-luggers.

when I had my 2010 SR5 and had the TSB done...rear lifted a little over one inch. my 2012 Sport has the 4-leaf and has approx the same dimensions as the 2010 post TSB.
Sounds to me like toyota did some tweaking on the 2012 6 luggers lol but only those with the tow package, cause the ones without the tow package and with the 4 cylinder engine do not have the 4th leaf lol
Old 08-20-2012, 02:58 PM   #36
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sounds to me like toyota did some tweaking on the 2012 6 luggers lol
the 4-leaf pack was standard on trucks built for most countries except US prior to 2012.

I guess Toyota got wise and realized most Tacoma buyers were not buying a grocery getter like most mid size American truck buyers who probably would be better served w/ an SUV...
Old 08-20-2012, 03:10 PM   #37
Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brad
bjboucher's Tacoma Gallery
Just curious how much this cost you in the end? I have an SR5 that I would like to do a little light off-roading with. Not sure the stock shocks are really built for that and am hoping this would be a fairly cheap way to make it ride a little better off road without really changing to on-road ride too much.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:07 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjboucher View Post
Just curious how much this cost you in the end? I have an SR5 that I would like to do a little light off-roading with. Not sure the stock shocks are really built for that and am hoping this would be a fairly cheap way to make it ride a little better off road without really changing to on-road ride too much.
well first off, let me say, thats a nice truck and i love the the wheels, 2nd, the 5100's are just what ud be looking for, the ride quality is unbelievably good and they offer a decent level/lift witch still keeps the trucks original functionality. if u get a whole set like i did, the fronts are about $125 a piece and the rears are about $90 a piece for a total of $430.00 plus tax for all four (witch id suggest)... if you dont install them yourself its about $660.00 in labor and a $75.00 4 wheel alignment
Old 08-20-2012, 04:16 PM   #39
Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brad
bjboucher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
well first off, let me say, thats a nice truck and i love the the wheels, 2nd, the 5100's are just what ud be looking for, the ride quality is unbelievably good and they offer a decent level/lift witch still keeps the trucks original functionality. if u get a whole set like i did, the fronts are about $125 a piece and the rears are about $90 a piece for a total of $430.00 plus tax for all four (witch id suggest)... if you dont install them yourself its about $660.00 in labor and a $75.00 4 wheel alignment
Thanks, it was the wheels that sold me on this truck! lol I need to find a handy man to help me put on some shocks. I would do this for about $500 but another $660 on top for labor is a bit much. Would be tough to convince the wife. Thanks for info.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:23 PM   #40
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I paid less than $300.00 from Down South Motorsports for all 4.
(I just pulled my reciept, $299.99 - $17.00 TW forum discount = $282.99, free shipping. This was a year and a half back)

and no way I'd pay $660.00 in labor to have them installed. The rear is an hour job I can do myself w/o even removing the rear wheels.
The fronts are more work...maybe worth a few hundred, 200-300 Tops.

yes, an alignment will go about 70-100 bux.