1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Taco or F-150 Ecoboost. Decisions decisions

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cdj588, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Aug 31, 2012 at 2:15 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    ... ^^^ ... Having owned many trucks (including F-150s & F-250s) in the past ... IMHO, the Tacoma is a much better truck overall.

Between the two that you mentioned ... SIZE would matter the most to me ... do you need a full size truck ... if so ... buy the Econ F-150 ... if not ... then the Tacoma is a natural.

2. Aug 31, 2012 at 2:24 PM
    engineerd

engineerd Member

Member:
    Issaquah WA
    Vehicle:
    '12 access 4x4 SR5
    My 2012 Tacoma 4x4 4 cylinder manual gets over 20 but less than 21 MPG, city, consistently. I have never run it over 360-370 miles on a tank, because the low fuel light comes on around there. I looked very long and hard at a 4x4 ecoboost, and it was 10k more in cost, did not come in a manual, and was more truck than I needed. The decision was easy for me. I still believe the mpgs might have been comparable, so I would not drive the decision on that basis.

3. Aug 31, 2012 at 2:34 PM
    Kirk1589

Kirk1589 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Sticks-RI
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 Off-Road
    Pasti-Dip Grille, K&N drop-in, Magnaflow 14", Custom tail light mod, Fog light mod, diff vent mod, Alpine Components, Sequoia JBL radio
    I can tell you everything you want to know about the EcoBoost good and bad. I work at one of the highest rated ford dealers on the east coast. The fiddy your looking at does not get the MPG it's rated at that's a fact. the mpg ratings are done on the single cab short bed 2wd. Expect 14/17. Great torque for towing but the shift points suck. The trans can never decide where to be. Interior touch points are Chinsee

4. Aug 31, 2012 at 2:53 PM
    Tacomada

Tacomada Well-Known Member

Member:
    TBC - Canadiana
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road
    Always befuddles me why people make this comparison. If I were considering both the Tacoma and f150... Why woul I be considering the ecoboost. Isn't there a 3.7l v6 that would be more comparable. I guess the mileage is comparable between that and the ecoboost.?

5. Aug 31, 2012 at 2:54 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    That i dont agree. Resale value is related to quality of vehicle. Nothing else. People expect used Ford to cost them in repair hence why they not willing to spend money especially if they are not sure how long they will be able to keep Ford due to possibility of critical failure (engine blows or transmission)
    Thats why resale value is crappy on Ford.

6. Aug 31, 2012 at 3:20 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    nothing else? doubtful.

sorry you missed this: "short term trade values"...meaning within a few years.

and it...has everything to do with rebates. Trust me...I have BT&DT more than most.

7. Aug 31, 2012 at 3:23 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    actually, a pretty damn good point.

8. Aug 31, 2012 at 3:48 PM
    Kirk1589

Kirk1589 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Sticks-RI
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 Off-Road
    Pasti-Dip Grille, K&N drop-in, Magnaflow 14", Custom tail light mod, Fog light mod, diff vent mod, Alpine Components, Sequoia JBL radio
    Your on a TACOMA FORUMS asking advice. We are all telling you to get a Tacoma you won't regret it. Highest resale value. The second you drive that truck off the Ford lot huge depreciation

9. Aug 31, 2012 at 5:40 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Toyota gives incentives for their vehicles and they all hold value. If what you saying was true every other Toyota vehicle would have low resale value like Ford, but they dont so clearly its not about incentives.
    Price depends on demand and if there is low demand for Ford so the price comes down. Demand is low because when people think about buying car out of warranty they dont want to be stuck with the repair bill. Toyota gives 125k mile warranty on their certified vehicle and that says quality right there. Plus people already know Toyota even used one is still safe bet. Combine all adn you have more people looking for used Toyota then people looking for used Ford.
    Domestics have no quality in them thats the issue. Until that changes there will be no resale value on those vehicles.

10. Aug 31, 2012 at 6:11 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    you are just being a fanboy and completely missed the point I made.

Toyota does not offer incentives near what domestic makers generally offer. this is a good reason why I got the trade-in value I got for my 2010 Tacoma.

you need to accept the math. high incentive dollars kill trade-in values.

how many new trucks have you purchased in the past 3 decades?

11. Sep 5, 2012 at 12:31 PM
    Orion Antares

Orion Antares Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off-Road White 4x4
    3.7L is going to be more dependable, likely costing less to service in the long run, get the same fuel economy, and also not give you a false sense of what you can actually haul with the vehicle like the Ecoboost.

Products Discussed in

To Top