LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

New truck, build in progress, hit deer...

Old 08-15-2012, 10:38 PM   #1
trailotter is a glorious beacon of lighttrailotter is a glorious beacon of lighttrailotter is a glorious beacon of lighttrailotter is a glorious beacon of lighttrailotter is a glorious beacon of lighttrailotter is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Michael
trailotter's Tacoma Gallery
New truck, build in progress, hit deer...

I finally became the proud owner of a new gorgeous white DCSB in June. Good times. My BIG mistake was soaking in the "lore" here for a couple of months first. You guys are worse than crack dealers! Before I even received my truck I started stockpiling wheels, tires, and tonneau cover in my garage.

I planned on having a vehicle I could do minor offroading in (hunting, camping), and mostly keep on the roads, so I eschewed the off-road model in favor of the sport and its awesome skewp. Yeah, I'm shallow.

But then my brother with his jeep started planning an off-road camping trip in Colorado. Shoot. Wellll, not willing to risk marring my white beauty, I started investing a little more: Allpro skids & sliders, and, just in case, an Undercoverhwms winch mount equipped with a Warn VR8000-s winch w. synthetic cable. And thanks to MadToy's idea, I had some beefy shackle mounts welded onto the undercover bumper by a crusty local fab wiz. BTW, Brian at Undercover HWMS got the mount to me in record time.

The 265/70R-16 Michelin MS/2's and TRD beadlock wheels I'd purchased for normal driving suddenly seemed too sedate, and all that weight I'd added made my poor Taco look like a sprinter in the blocks, so I added 265/70R-17 Duratracs and ToyTec coilovers with Bilstein 5100's all 'round. MUCH better.

Also added a Cobra 75 w. 3' Firestick antenna, did the diff breather mod and yellow wire mod, and added a Poplock electric lock to tailgate.

All this in the space of 6 weeks.

Last week we took off for Colorado and it was AWESOME. Spent a week mucking on trails & over passes between Lake City, Silverton, Ouray, Ophir, & Telluride. God's country for sure! I also saw more sweet Taco's than I've seen all year, and I'm sure some of you reading were there!

Only problem was getting there via Kansas... At 4 am I passed a big rig on I70 doing a leisurely 75mph when a BIG doe crossed the highway and went all kamikaze on my ass. Fortunately I hugged the road by the median and caught her with the right front fender, sending deer parts flying, and the remains smack into the grill of the big rig. There was nothing left but an intact head sitting in a pile of goo. No limbs, no bones, just skin & gore. No, no pics.

I was amazed: all my damage was cosmetic! But the estimate I got today totalled over $4400 for all the shitty plastic parts (plus dinged quarter panel & door.) Bumper & valance are toast - after all the hours I spent fitting my winch mount & shackles.

Anyways, here's some pics (some suck) of my progress. Next up will be re-thinking my lackadaisical attitude towards deer protection, living in the Midwest.

Pristine new:

Oooh, Beadlocks!

Nothing but class: Beadlocks & Michelins:

Shackle mounts welded onto Undercover winch mount:

Undercover winch mount:

Winch control:

Had to cut valance to fit lead, then heated plastic & bent it in, and used door trim rubber piece to line edge:

Allpro Rock Sliders, those things are beefy:

Allpro IFS skid plate (pic taken upside down)

Allpro transfercase, transmission, & IFS skids (pic taken from rear)

Allpro transfercase skid

Toytec coilovers w. Billie 5100's

Stance after lift:

Effin' deer!!

Ophir pass

Engineer pass

A well used taco:
Old 08-15-2012, 10:53 PM   #2
Banff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
Banff2007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Wow you are not kidding around with this build. Looks awesome.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:01 AM   #3
iRep8OH8 is on a distinguished road

Name: Chaz
iRep8OH8's Tacoma Gallery
I love how you mounted the winch! sweeet build! hope no more deer's come your way good thing it didn't damage that much yikes!
Old 10-21-2012, 02:38 AM   #4
.45%er
the.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Secret Squirell, Contract Completed
Name: Nick
the.sight.picture's Tacoma Gallery
Warn bumper or relentless should take of the next deer
Old 06-27-2013, 09:49 AM   #5
trailotter is a glorious beacon of lighttrailotter is a glorious beacon of lighttrailotter is a glorious beacon of lighttrailotter is a glorious beacon of lighttrailotter is a glorious beacon of lighttrailotter is a glorious beacon of light
Updated: Added Tactical Armour Group Bumpers!

Old 06-27-2013, 10:08 AM   #6
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
sweet!! i love that truck. i need to get some sliders.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:22 AM   #7
ndub86 will become famous soon enoughndub86 will become famous soon enough
Name: Neal
ndub86's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like that will take care of any future deer!!
Old 06-27-2013, 10:40 AM   #9
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
nice build!
Old 06-27-2013, 11:35 AM   #10
ANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
ANT2013taco's Tacoma Gallery
What did you do with your original hitch mount? If your are selling it I may be interested!
Old 06-27-2013, 12:03 PM   #11
Joe in the hills is on a distinguished road
Marines: A-1-6 Mar Div FMF 0311, 4311
Name: Joe
Joe in the hills's Tacoma Gallery
The 1st big mod to mine was to add a TJM bull bar bumper and 5100's to the front.
Piece of mind when driving at night or very early in the a.m. going to work.
Not to worry about deer or bear, and went from a 5 mph bumper to probbably 60 mph version.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:44 AM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANT2013taco View Post
What did you do with your original hitch mount? If your are selling it I may be interested!
I'm selling it, along w. OEM bumper: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-tow-pckg.html
Old 06-28-2013, 10:01 AM   #13
ANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
ANT2013taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailotter View Post
I'm selling it, along w. OEM bumper: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-tow-pckg.html

Damned auto correct, I meant the winch mount up front. Thanks.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:45 PM   #14
Maibatsu Monstrosity
Jaime is a glorious beacon of lightJaime is a glorious beacon of lightJaime is a glorious beacon of lightJaime is a glorious beacon of lightJaime is a glorious beacon of lightJaime is a glorious beacon of light
Name: James
Jaime's Tacoma Gallery
Nice truck.

I also clipped a deer and had very similar same damage. I never intended to get a plate bumper, but rather than replace all the plastic, I got an ARB...which led to a bunch of other stuff. It's a steep steep slope

Products Discussed in this Thread