1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help Me Replace My Trailer Wiring Harness

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Forster46, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Aug 16, 2012 at 6:24 PM
    Forster46

Forster46 [OP] Very nice how much?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    So I got the truck in 2010 used, its an 06 4 banger, so I am assuming the hitch and light harness are aftermarket. Ever since I got the truck I have been having troubles with the lights on trailers, and the electric brakes wouldnt work either. Yes, I have the controller hooked up.

Can I just rip this old wiring harness out and install a new plug n play one that I have seen? I dont wanna deal with splicing wires and stuff because I will just screw it up more. Right off the back of the plug there is a yellow wire that sticks out about 4 inches then goes nowhere. Wtf?

Any suggestions? I can get picks if you guys need them.

2. Aug 16, 2012 at 6:35 PM
    Forster46

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    With running lights and hazards on
    [​IMG]

Random yellow wire....
    [​IMG]

Box thing behind left tail light
    [​IMG]

3. Aug 16, 2012 at 7:11 PM
    Forster46

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    Anyone?

4. Aug 16, 2012 at 7:17 PM
    RV7Garage

RV7Garage R.O.U.S.

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Ill Annoy
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Offroad, Nautical Blue
    Disable DRL, Jailbreak Fog Lights, ARE topper
    Personally I'd just pay the few hundred bucks to have a reputable shop tear it out and start from zero. I hate screwing around :D

5. Aug 16, 2012 at 7:22 PM
    Forster46

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    Would they make sure the brake controller is wired properly too?

6. Aug 16, 2012 at 7:32 PM
    Chris24

Chris24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 Black DCSB TRD Sport, V6, 6sp
    they should if they are reputable, just make sure to point out that it's one of your concerns

7. Aug 17, 2012 at 3:25 AM
    Hubs

Hubs Well-Known Member

Member:
    I am not sure, but I don't think the "box" is a brake controller. I think it it your convertor box for the bulbs to plug(i.e. 3 bulbs or whatever).

8. Aug 17, 2012 at 3:38 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    Factory add on is a flat 4 pin.
    It is 100 times better than aftermarket. It uses the trucks system for power. Those converter boxes always go bad.

Running the extra wires for the brake and acc. Is not that big a deal and if the controller is run correctly then you can just run new wiring to make it all new.

9. Aug 17, 2012 at 5:07 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    It looks like the PO spliced into the main harness. :( You can buy a plug and play harness and use it, but you should first remove this set up and re connect all the wiring spliced into the main harness.

10. Aug 17, 2012 at 11:12 AM
    azreb

azreb Geezer

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5 crew cab; gray
    camper shell, front camera, floor mats, cheap bed mat, dash camera, catalytic converter cover, fumoto
    I put one of those plug-and-play harnesses in mine. Works great. I haven't looked at a brake controller hookup, but I would not use any of the outputs from the converter box for trailer brakes. The box is designed to operate only the standard trailer lights, and not anything else.

11. Aug 17, 2012 at 9:04 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    It looks like someone bought a 7 pin harness and only hooked up the wires that pertain to the lights (no brake wiring).

The box is a convertor that make the trailer signal/brake lights work properly with the Toyota seperate brake and turn bulbs.

What did you hook the brake controller to? Looks like you are missing the wiring from the controller to the socket.

12. Aug 17, 2012 at 9:05 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I would start from scratch.

13. Aug 18, 2012 at 1:50 AM
    Forster46

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    The brake controller and all trailer wiring was already installed when I bought the truck two years ago. Never had problems with lights until recently they randomly just dont work. I want to get rid of them all and install a new plug and pay harness, but I need the brake controller wired in as well

14. Aug 20, 2012 at 11:32 AM
    Forster46

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    Where can I find the plug and play harness tha connects to the existing tail light plugs then runs down to the trailer plug? I found some but I dont want the flat 4 pin connector, I'm looking for one with the round 7 pin. I can't find one anywhere

15. Aug 20, 2012 at 11:58 AM
    azreb

azreb Geezer

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5 crew cab; gray
    camper shell, front camera, floor mats, cheap bed mat, dash camera, catalytic converter cover, fumoto
  16. Aug 20, 2012 at 2:06 PM
    DBurns

DBurns Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab 4cyl
    This is where I got mine for my 2012. It works great and i had it installed in 10 minutes. Here's a link for the 2010.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/t-connector-kits/p2018063.jcwx?filterid=d2193y2010g2

17. Aug 20, 2012 at 2:13 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Any of those systems that just plug into your existing tail lights are going to be a flat 4. You could splice them into the correct pins on a 7 pin but you won't have the complete function of a 7 pin wiring harness which is what it looks like the previous owner did.

You keep mentioning a brake controller, do you have one installed? If you did, it would be in the cab somewhere most likely. That box you took a picture of is not a brake controller, it's just a control box for the lights.

18. Aug 20, 2012 at 2:21 PM
    chadderkdawg

chadderkdawg Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..

Member:
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    09 FX4 F150
    That 4 pin connector will never operate the brakes, if indeed you have a controller. I went down to autozone/napa/orielly/etc and bought a 7 pin round connector, do your research and get all the wires spliced to where they belong, and then you can use your brake controller as well.

19. Aug 20, 2012 at 2:30 PM
    DBurns

DBurns Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab 4cyl
    ^^^One of those for $16 plus the one I posted to connect to the taillights for the 4 pin will work. The one above has the extra wires you can tie into your existing brake controller wires. I think all this will work anyway. There's a pic on the item page that points to what the additional wires are for.

20. Aug 20, 2012 at 3:00 PM
    Forster46

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    I have a brake controller mounted under my steering whee, can't remember what model. I know what each wire is in a 4 pin and I know they wont control the brakes. The reason I wanted the 7 pin instead is so it have the extra slots to get brakes hooked up. The only thing I don't know how to do is wire brakes and the controller. Lights are a piece of cake.

Products Discussed in

To Top