Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Thule Tracker II vs. Thule Aero Roof racks & Wind noise (whistling)?

Old 08-17-2012, 12:34 PM   #1
Yankee Bill is on a distinguished road
Navy:
Yankee Bill's Tacoma Gallery
Thule Tracker II vs. Thule Aero Roof racks & Wind noise (whistling)?

I'm looking at getting one of these 2 model roof rack systems installed on a Leer shell that I'm ordering. While talking w/ the dealer he stated that some people have complained that the Tracker II model makes a whistling noise from the wind due to the square design of the crossbar tubing.

Have any of you folks who have the Tracker II roof racks experienced this? As another member here suggested in a different thread, and I tend to agree, the dealer may have just been trying to "up-sell" the more expensive Aero model.

While I don't have too much of a gripe paying the extra $90 for the Areo model if there is really a wind noise issue with the Tracker II, I'd prefer not to if the only real difference between the two is soley a matter of asthetics.

Appreciate any info you may have to offer.

Thanks,

YB
Old 08-17-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
Throbbing Member
B737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
B737's Tacoma Gallery
i have used both the Thule square load bars and the aero bars... im currently using the square ones as the aero bars arent available in 64"s... I used the rapid aero ones for a year before switching.

honestly, get what you are comfortable paying for and looking at. ive never had objectionable wind noise from either set up. once you put anything on the roof its going to make a lot of noise.

its so frustrating dealing with rack companies they positively rape you....
Old 08-17-2012, 01:36 PM   #3
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mudafuga
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
My truck cap dealer was very honest with me and advised against the aero bars. He said they were too expensive and that many of Thule's products would require adapters to work with the aero bars--which would add yet another cost.

I'd get the square ones if I had to make that choice.

I ended up with an A.R.E. shell and yakima so I got the round bars, but I don't think it makes a damned bit of difference as it's all going to create drag when driving anyways.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:06 PM   #4
Throbbing Member
B737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
B737's Tacoma Gallery
The aero bars are a light weight aluminum construction, built in a way that promotes them to be strong and stiff, they are more refined and look finished... the square bars are simply thick rubber encased steel square bars, plane and simple. They weigh prob twice as much as the rapid aero ones do. not that it matters, but the square ones are prob a lot stronger. (also backing this up is that the aero bars are only good to 60"s)

i agree with crom, its not going to make a lick of difference, they are all gonna create noise. its about marketing and Thule raking in cash ripping people off. (im a victim too)

as an aside, im selling my 60" Rapid Aero bars with feet. you just need trackers and tracks...
http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/pts/3195313495.html