1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Additional Engine oil cooler for 1GRFE

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by pavemobile, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Aug 18, 2012 at 10:44 AM
    pavemobile

pavemobile [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wichita Falls, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Sport SR5 PreRunner
    K&N Intake
    Anyone out there plumb in a sandwich plate w/thermostat and external engine oil cooler?

Currently have '09 V6 with tow package but the factory engine oil cooler is a basic oil to coolant heat exchanger. I was thinking about increasing the oil cooling capability to increase engine longevity. I tow once in a while and we do have temperature extremes here in Texas.

Any thoughts?

2. Aug 18, 2012 at 10:52 AM
    pavemobile

pavemobile [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wichita Falls, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Sport SR5 PreRunner
    K&N Intake
    I was thinking about one of the Mocal plates w/integrated 180 degree thermostat and plate type cooler. I had a similar rig many years ago on a street machine...ancient technology back then but it did help, leaded gas and everything ran 10w40 until it was old enough to have loosened up.

3. Aug 18, 2012 at 11:23 AM
    spithead051

spithead051 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Fairfax, VA
    Vehicle:
    09 AC 4x4 OR S/C'ed!
    Supercharger, ICON 2.5VS w/ CDC, TRD T/X Pro Wheels, 255/85/R16 BFG MT KM2's, APEX three hoop bumper, Smittybilt X20 Comp Gen 2, Allpro IFS skid, All-Pro Sliders, Dynomax exhaust, aFe Stage 2 si, URD 2.85 stealth pulley, Oil pressure, oil temperature, boost, A/F ratio gauges, Devil horns, WO seat covers
    I would leave it alone. The 1GR-FE is designed to run in well over 200 degree environments without the risk of overheating. Keep your coolant and oil levels in check and you should be just fine.

Products Discussed in

To Top