1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Interesting Quirk...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ItalynStylion, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Aug 18, 2012 at 9:09 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion [OP] Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    So I've discovered something interesting about the Tacoma.

When you have the headlights on and you turn off the truck and get out the lights immediately go off....right? Well tonight has marked the second time EVER that's not happened. The lights stayed on. It happened when I was on vacation in July and I never figured it out till now. It happened again tonight and I figured out why.

Apparently the "lights off" deal only works when you open up the DRIVER'S side door. If you get out the passenger side door the lights WILL NOT shut off....ever. I thought I was going insane or that something was wrong with the truck but I guess that's just how it's wired.

2. Aug 18, 2012 at 9:31 PM
    shawnd2

shawnd2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 TRD Offroad
    I never shut my lights off with the switch, they go off with the drivers door.

Not to put you down, but I noticed this within the first few days of having my truck.

I installed remote start a couple of years ago, and this feature could become an issue. If I remote start my truck and for some reason change my mind and turn it off with the remote or let it time out, the lights stay on because the drivers door is not opened.
    Not a huge deal, but something to be aware of.

Out of curiosity, why are you crawling out the passenger door?

Shawn.

3. Aug 19, 2012 at 6:44 AM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    Exactly my point, I never use the switch either. And I DON'T typically get out of the passenger side door which is why it's taken me this long to notice.

In the two instances I decribed above the first one I had left the girlfriend in the truck with it running. I came back to the truck to get her and she took the keys out of the ignition and got out of the passenger door. The second time was last night where it was raining/flooding and I had to park next to a curb where the water was about 6" deep. Getting out of the passenger side on the sidewalk kept me shoes from getting wet. :p

4. Aug 19, 2012 at 6:51 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    Ya, I have noticed that. If I park and shut the truck off, and the the wife gets out to run into a store, I noticed they stay on. I think someone mentioned that after a while they shut off, but I have never tried it, didn't want to end up with a dead battery trying it, incase they didn't shut off.

5. Aug 19, 2012 at 6:53 AM
    greenrustic

greenrustic Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB 4x4 TRD SPORT
    Access LTD Tonneau Cover, Weather Tech Digital Fit Mats, Weather Tech Rain Guards, 35% Tint up Front, AFE Dry Power Intake Filter, Debadged, GrilleCraft, OME 884x, OME 9000 NitroChargers, Icon 3 Leaf Progressive AAL
    Why are you getting out through the passenger door?

Edit: I see...just showing off my great reading comprehension!

6. Aug 19, 2012 at 6:57 AM
    extremachn1

extremachn1 I am an asshole, deal with it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BAD ASS SUPERCHARGED BEAST
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    If you leave the truck running, get out and close the door, open the passenger door and reach across to turn the truck off from the passenger side and never open the driver side door the lights will stay on when you lock the doors. I found this out myself with a dead battery twice before I had to experiment as to why.

Not exactly sure why it does that, something in the control logic assumes you are still in the truck and wouldnt get out the passenger side so it keeps them on.

7. Aug 19, 2012 at 7:00 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    So you ended up with a dead battery? Then I guess they don't shut themselves off after a while, like I thought I saw somewhere. Good to know.

8. Aug 19, 2012 at 7:59 AM
    shawnd2

shawnd2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 TRD Offroad
    I think that all car manufactures should have a timer that shuts the lights off after a period of time once the ignition is shut off. Or at least have them shut off when you remote lock the doors.

On a side note I just came back from Fresno California where I had a Nissan Altima for a rental. It has those key fobs that you keep in your pocket.
    Very convenient, however one day I was sitting in the car before going into work and then got out, checked I had the "key" and remote locked the door.
    Literally hours later got back to the car and it was still running! I guess I didn't press the button to shut it off, the car is pretty quiet and I never noticed as I locked it and walked away.
    I also dropped it of at the rental place, the guy drove it away and I got home and realized a I still have the key fob in my pocket. Not sure what happens now as I assume once they shut the car off it can't be restarted.

Shawn.
    The AC was on, so at least it was nice and cold.

9. Aug 19, 2012 at 8:03 PM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    So basically exactly what I described in the first two posts.....to a T

I'm not sure why it does this either but I too am under the impression that the lights will stay on indefinitely. It's only happened twice and each time I noticed right away. (I'm VERY observant of weird things like that)

10. Aug 19, 2012 at 9:22 PM
    geoff7877

geoff7877 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Petaluma, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off Road 4X4 Double Cab
    Good to know. I didn't even know that my truck had this feature at all! Oddly enough, I've never had a vehicle with daytime running lights so I've always been in the habit of turning them on/off. I'll make sure to exit through the drivers door if I decide to leave them on. ;)

11. Aug 19, 2012 at 9:52 PM
    RadSurfTaco

RadSurfTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    In Ocean or My Taco...trolling up & down Hwy 1
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner MGM DC SB
    I never had this happen but it's really good to know. Esp the part of the mrs getting out of the passenger and taking the keys with. The other scenario about getting out of the other door not to get wet is not what a man would do, so that won't happen to me... :p

12. Aug 20, 2012 at 10:22 AM
    jonatay

jonatay Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    '19 Black DCSB TRD Offroad 4x4
    I learned this after I had my truck for about a month. I got into the passenger seat to take a little nap on my lunch break (can't recline in the driver's seat much with an infant car seat behind it). After I had been back inside for about 30 minutes, my boss came and told me that my lights were on. I immediately realized what had happened. I think they should also put a time on the thing to keep from running down the battery.

Products Discussed in

To Top