1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2015 New Tacoma Redesign...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by RadSurfTaco, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Aug 23, 2012 at 9:16 AM
    Night

Night Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD OR AC MagGrey
    Banks Monster Exhaust, aFe ProGuard 7, 3M Film, UnderCoating, alpine 920 headunit, alpine 6.5 components, 20% tint all around, JL Stealthbox, PDX-V9 Amp, Avid Lightbar, Avid Sliders, Full Metal JackRabbit Tonneau, TRD S/C
    I'm wondering why the 2012 redesign dropped by $3200 on my model and comes with more. Toyota cheaping out on other things?

Many people don't care bought diesels or modding for that matter. We are a small group.

2. Aug 23, 2012 at 9:28 AM
    Kooltaco

Kooltaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD DC
    That is only because presently the Canadian Dollar is above par with the U.S. Dollar, making imports from the U.S. cheaper for us. Wait until our dollar drops again and watch the price of our Vehicles rise.

3. Aug 23, 2012 at 12:19 PM
    Thelt

Thelt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lenoir, NC
    Vehicle:
    '12 4x4 SR5
    Diesels would make a lot of sense in trucks and SUVs. I used to own a Jeep and everyone on the forum I went to back then wanted more diesel Jeeps and were crazy about any CRD they could find. I think US emissions laws are the big reasons we do not get many diesels while almost every car sold in Europe has it as an option.

I doubt Toyota starts the trend though. They are more likely to do it if some other car maker starts doing it successfully.

4. Aug 24, 2012 at 2:25 AM
    Kansas_SR5

Kansas_SR5 Tacoma World is an addiction!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2020 offroad Dbl Cab SB 6sp
    So would we see that at the end of 2014 as a new 2015 model or will we see it at the end of 2015 as a new 2016 model? I'm just waiting for the redesign. My 2010 is about to hit 25K. So in 3 yrs I'll have 65-75K miles and will be ready to trade in!!!!

5. Aug 24, 2012 at 5:42 AM
    Thelt

Thelt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lenoir, NC
    Vehicle:
    '12 4x4 SR5
    My plan is to keep my '12 for at least 10 years. I drive about 15k miles per year and 150k should be no problem for a Toyota, especially since I plan to keep the maintenance up to date.

6. Aug 24, 2012 at 5:48 AM
    JirafaBo

JirafaBo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bo
    Orlando
    Vehicle:
    '12 Black Access Cab TRD Sport
  7. Aug 24, 2012 at 8:31 AM
    RadSurfTaco

RadSurfTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    In Ocean or My Taco...trolling up & down Hwy 1
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner MGM DC SB
    Ya the new Ranger is available in Australia and selling like crazy, looks damn nice too (although I hate the old Ranger so anything is an improvement). Also the Ranger comes in 20+ versions (single, super and double cabs, 2x4, 4x4, and DIESEL!)

And, they already had a major recall since it's launch at the begging of the year...

I don't know how else Toyota is going to get the MPG up to the new standard but I can't imagine they won't follow suit as Ford will be releasing the Ranger here soon.

zv4z6c_ce422f4f02dabd14ca046060c4333853f10924e9.jpg

8. Aug 24, 2012 at 8:40 AM
    Toy Yoda

Toy Yoda gotta make sure Youtube comes down to tape this

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB
    OME, ARB, Warn, Snugtop XV
    looks like ford is trying to compete with the hilux, very similar body design

9. Aug 24, 2012 at 2:46 PM
    pbm317

pbm317 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I don't know if you're in the States... but Ford has repeatedly said they will not be bringing the new Ranger to the States. It would steal sales from their more profitable F-150 and it wouldn't have enough volume to establish a production line within North America, without which they would be subject to the Chicken Tax of importing light trucks, which would bump the price by 25%.

10. Aug 24, 2012 at 2:49 PM
    RAD

RAD Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Rad
    LAX & LOGAN
    I'm all good with this! 2015? Are you serious? You mean I get to drive around in a truck design that last 10 years. WOW. Most vehicles get changed out in 4 years.

I can't wait to buy another Tacoma around 2016/17. ;)

11. Aug 24, 2012 at 5:23 PM
    RadSurfTaco

RadSurfTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    In Ocean or My Taco...trolling up & down Hwy 1
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner MGM DC SB

I just read this article:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...l_market_ford_ranger_first_drive/viewall.html

It explains what you said as well as more details. Don't blame the US for not wanting to bring them here just to complete with the 150's but also the fact that Aussies are paying 53k for them says a lot about concentrating on the global market instead lol...

Either way, Toyota still has to get the MPG up for 2016, so there will have to be a redesign in the engine. Lots of people say diesel then lots say it's not going to happen, it's interesting to say the least.

12. Aug 24, 2012 at 5:35 PM
    Ga tacoguy

Ga tacoguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rudy
    Augusta Ga.
    Vehicle:
    Extended cab Base model 4 cyl
    Tailgate mod, horn mod,storage door mod
    :) While everyone is fixating on the engine options, Toyota is going to have lose a lot of weight from the body. I would venture to say that Toyota will drop the frame and body design and go to a Honda Ridgeline style of a unibody with a lot of aluminum used. We will see what the future brings.

13. Aug 24, 2012 at 5:36 PM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    I bet Toyota will drag their feet and keep the current Tacoma until 2015. It's been seven years and it's still basically the same truck and from what others have said, only minor changes to 2013. I like diesel but don't believe it would be an option due to cost, emissions and demand in the US. Most likely a DI and a 6 speed auto to boost mpg.

14. Aug 24, 2012 at 7:54 PM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    XM, Panasonic Stereo, Headlights,Electric Ant,Toyota Deluxe Wheels, Rhino Lining, Cargo Rails
    From what I've been reading on the net (not that any of it is true) you should expect to see a Nissan Titan (mid-size truck) with diesel in 2015. The articles I've read said the President of Nissan Mtrs would have liked the big three lead the way but it doesn't look like it's going to happen. So Nissan has partner'd with Cummins and with 15 million from DOT/EPA it looks like they may very well introduce a diesel truck with rumored 30MPG. Hope it's true but would love to see Toyota Hilux come in but don't think it will happen. If anything maybe the Tundra will see it first but I'm betting that is all that will happen for some time.

Nissan Titan is hemorging money and sales due to their truck and gas mileage. Nissan knows it will have to do something and soon.

15. Aug 24, 2012 at 8:08 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

kyleTRDtaco12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma Base DCSB 4x4 V6 6MT (202)
    TRD Cat-Back Exhaust TRD Sport Package Springs & Shocks (Front Linear Coil Springs, Rear TSB Leafs) Front & Rear Toyota/Bilstein 40mm Shocks) Silver Toyota 16" SR5 Wheels with 265/70/16 BFGoodrich Rugged Trail T/A Tires w/ Locks OEM Black-Chrome Housed Headlights (SR package) OEM TRDpro Grille Insert RokBlokz Rally MudFlaps w/ Stamped Logo OEM 'TRD Sport' Bedside Graphics TRD QuickShifter w/ TRD Shift Knob Hawk HPS Front Brake Pads w/ Brembo Blank Rotors OEM Front Aluminum Skid-Plate eBay TRD seat covers Rear Diff. Breather Mod A/C Drain Extension Mod OEM Fog Light Kit OEM Intermittent Wiper Switch OEM Bed D-Rings OEM Bed Mat OEM Door Sill Protectors Blacked-Out Badges (from Xrunner 205 Black Sand Pearl) Pop & Lock Tailgate Handle TruXedo TruXsport Roll-Up Tonneau Cover AVS BugFlector II Front Bug Guard AVS In-Channel Window Vent Visors TRD High Pressure Radiator Cap Stubby Radio Antenna Ultra-Gauge EM v1.2 w/ Windshield Mount BullaCulla 7-Pin Relocation Bracket Misc. Stickers
    you know what? im happy toyota isnt drastically changing the tacoma till 2016 ish.. cause if u havent noticed, look how long it took the 1st gens to be phased out and they sold excelltent between minor face lifts and such, just like the 2nd gen, just had its first facelift in 2012 after 7 years.. i hate when car companys do a major redesign within 2 or 4 years.. that shows they have no confidence in their product and only want to make money and they dont care about the consumer, toyota, on the other hand knows what works, and look where they are, and where they stand in this truck market.....

16. Aug 25, 2012 at 6:59 AM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    XM, Panasonic Stereo, Headlights,Electric Ant,Toyota Deluxe Wheels, Rhino Lining, Cargo Rails
    True...but...if toyota is to maintain it's market share it must respond to the challenges of competition. The Amarok from VW is poised to make an entry into the U.S. market within the next 5 years. Not so long if you look at what they must do in order to tool up and ramp up their parts acquisitions in lead times. VW has also built a new plant in Chattanoga Tn that will be capable of building an Amarok with little modification. It is state of the art. Toyota must be ready to respond within a year I believe or they will start to lose market share and that is a hard thing to get back....

17. Sep 18, 2012 at 9:08 AM
    2010TRD

2010TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Waldo, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM trd offroad DCSB
    Billistein 5100 front/rears, Toytec 2" AAL Custom grill, All Pro rear bumper, All Pro sliders, Anytime elocker/foglights, Rear diff vent relocated, W/O seat covers, weathertech mats/visors, nfab tire racK, cobra 75 stealth CB, Custom engine/trans skids 3/8", Hella and HID behind grill, LED bar backup light, LED pods under cab (rocklights)
    :popcorn:

Ive heard rumors about a Tundra dually ......

18. Sep 18, 2012 at 9:31 AM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    Drink a cup of coffee that's what works for me. Or a Dr. Pepper!!:rolleyes:

19. Sep 18, 2012 at 10:16 AM
    Spruce Juice

Spruce Juice Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    2012 4 x 4
    Fold A Cover, Factory Class 4 Hitch with Factory Harness, Cruise, Int Wipers, TRD Alloys, Fogs, K&N Air Filter
    I believe there is room in the market place for a compact truck to be smaller than the current 2nd generation Tacoma. For me, the Ford Ranger and 1st generation Tacoma/Pickup (I owned an 95 and 84 respectively) size is ideal. If the Ranger isn't so long in the tooth I might have considered it even though I hate that it's a Ford. The 2nd generation Taco is really a mid size truck like the Dodge Dakota that preceded it. Maybe the Koreans Kia or Hyundai will fill that niche market and bring in a true compact truck. As for the global Ranger that is not planned for North America, it's a big truck. The Motor Trend article says it is within 10% of all dimensions of a F-150. That would be like the 1st generation Tundra. Too big.

20. Sep 18, 2012 at 12:57 PM
    TechJunky

TechJunky Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Atlanta Ga
    Vehicle:
    Taco 4X4 6spd
    Ironman 4x4
    I'm with you there. Hilux diesel would rock!

Products Discussed in

To Top