1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need advice on Tonneau Covers

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by Poughtoy09, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Aug 19, 2012 at 9:26 AM
    Poughtoy09

Poughtoy09 [OP] New Member

Member:
    I recently purchased an 09 Tacoma with a 5 foot bed and bedliner. I love it!

I am researching tonneau covers. I was wondering what experiences owners have had with Extrang Trifecta covers. I am concerned that they may not install as easy as they state on their website with the bedliner. I was also wondering how they handle tempeture extremes in the N.E. Any problems with the fit in very cold or very hot weather? Lastly is it worth the $$ to move up to a hard plastic trifold vs the tonneau. It seems to be 2x the price. Any advice / experiences would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. Aug 19, 2012 at 9:38 AM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Be patient looking for a cover and keep an eye on CL. Having had a soft cover I would look for a hard cover or get a cap and be done with it.

3. Aug 19, 2012 at 12:53 PM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    I love my access literider, had a cap and got rid of it. I'd never go back as having a roll up cover is the best of both worlds. You don't lose any bed length if you need it and you have a weather proof covered space when you need it. Check the product reviews section, there are several threads with lots of pictures.

4. Aug 19, 2012 at 1:11 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    ^Same. It all depends on your needs. I never keep anything in there of any value, just things I want to keep dry on occasion, but I need to be able to roll it up on occasion for larger items which is nothing but a PITA with a hard tonneau.

5. Aug 19, 2012 at 1:20 PM
    SpruceTaco

SpruceTaco トヨタ

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Clearwater, FL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Spruce Mica TRD Sport
    Tinted windows 5%, sill protectors, TRD stubby antenna, weathertech in channel rain guards, wheathertech floor mats, BHLM, Truxedo low pro qt, DTRL deleted, anytime backup camera, bed storage locks, fog lights on anytime, tailgate theft deterrent, painted engine cover, relocated horns, l.e.d bed lights, l.e.d engine bay lights, l.e.d lights above cup holders, in glove box, rear cup holder, in console storage & cubby next to steering wheel, Grillcraft grill, 17x8.5 SCS Ray10's, 35x12.50 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Borla cat back exhaust, map & dome l.e.d's, TEQ badge on grill, Redline tuning hood struts, Maxtrac spindles, SPC Light Racing UCA's, Bilstein 5100's front set at 0 with OME 885's & extended length Bilstein 5100's in the rear, All Pro expedition leaf springs & 2" blocks, extended brake lines front & rear, 1.5" 4crawler drive shaft spacer, Beefed Taco carrier bearing drop, 1.25" spidertrax wheel spacers on rear, Kenwood DNX570 touchscreen with navigation, 30" led light bar in lower bumper opening, 1/4" top plate spacer drivers side, Bullet Proof Fabricating skid plate, Cali Raised ditch lights & Rago f Fabrication brackets, Amp Research power steps, smoked l.e.d 3rd brake light, Wet Okole seat covers, under cab LED'S tied to dome circuit
    X2
    I've got a truxedo low pro qt & I like it.

6. Aug 19, 2012 at 3:38 PM
    pknoerzer

pknoerzer Member

Member:
    Woodstock, ON
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Sport Double Cab 4x4
    I have the Extang Tri-fold and I am satisfied with it. I had the same on my last two trucks and the one for the Tacoma fit just as well. You might have to adjust the location of the hold down brackets on the cargo rail, but once they're installed it is easy to use.

7. Aug 19, 2012 at 3:54 PM
    Tioloco

Tioloco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Oakland Park, FL
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Sport
    TracRac G2, Xtrang Trifecta, ImMrYo Mirror Bracket, Konig Countersteer X Bronze, debadged, Custom grill/tailgate badges, Bilstein 5100's front, BAMF light bar, KC Slimlites, Redline hood struts, Smittybilt XRC8, UWMS, in-cab winch controls, Grillcraft MX, Brite Box
    Trifecta installs every bit as easy as the videos portray... They have one that has special brackets for the Taco bed rails, but the brackets are kinda a PITA.

For the front clamps I just added a 1/2" spacer above the 'T' nuts. This puts them down far enough that they don't hit the bed liner, so no special brackets needed. Works great and it's 5 min. on or off.

8. Aug 19, 2012 at 4:54 PM
    LabradorBoy

LabradorBoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 DCab TRD Sport
    I also have a TriFecta and although it is easy to install/deploy/retract, when you only have a 5ft bed to begin with, losing 20" or so at the front when folded is a hard pill to swallow. I will probably go with a Backflip eventually but like you the price is hard to stomach right now.

9. Aug 19, 2012 at 5:07 PM
    Taco-NB

Taco-NB MMMMM Taco's

Member:
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    '09 4X4 SR5 Access Cab V6 - Black Sand Pearl
  10. Aug 19, 2012 at 6:32 PM
    sandjunkie

sandjunkie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    OC
    I just ordered mine from the factory store for $755 shipped and comes with a 2 year warranty instead of 1 year.

11. Aug 19, 2012 at 6:45 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    I had an Undercover on my last truck and it was a love hate relationship. I loved the cover, secure and dry. Was easy to remove (with another person) but hated every time I needed to haul something tall. Can't leave it if you're out shopping of course and buy something unexpectedly. And it seemed like most of the time I needed to remove it I never had help or at least strong enough help. Had my wife help a couple of times but at the height of the truck and her being 5'4 made it hard for her to handle and it would drag on the bed rail. This was on a Dodge Ram so there was no bed cap and I was afraid of scratching. I decided I wouldn't go that route again and just found a used Access cover and love it so far. Roll it up when needed and though it's not dry, it does good enough. Pick you poison. ;)

12. Aug 19, 2012 at 6:46 PM
    MikeCB600F

MikeCB600F 4 Cylenders of angry fury

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Plainfield, IL.
    Vehicle:
    2012 Reg Cab 2.7L 4x4
    Extang Trifecta Tonneau cover
    I just the Trifecta last week. There are four brackets that bolt into the bed rails. Took a couple minutes to get the bracket so the cover was square on the bed.

13. Aug 19, 2012 at 6:52 PM
    Taco-NB

Taco-NB MMMMM Taco's

Member:
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    '09 4X4 SR5 Access Cab V6 - Black Sand Pearl
    Wow! How did you manage that? Their website says $855

EDIT: Never mind. I see the $100 discount on their website. $40 more for another one year warranty. Nice! You likely won't need the extra warranty. They are pretty solid.

14. Aug 19, 2012 at 6:53 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    :notsure:

15. Aug 24, 2012 at 8:09 AM
    Buckeye Mark

Buckeye Mark Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Hopewell,Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma SR5 TRD Ext Cab 4wd V6
    I have a Extang Tuff Tonno II on my Tacoma,When I bought my Tacoma it had a Extang cover on it that was all tore up.I called the Extang people and they gave me a good deal on a replacement cover,I like the easy way it rolls up in the warmer months,but it is a lot more difficult in the Winter time,Overall I like the cover,it looks good,and keeps the the tools I carry around dry.I lost the end clips hauling firewood,called Extang and they shipped new ones free.So if you want great customer service,I'd call Extang.I hope this helps !!

16. Aug 24, 2012 at 8:22 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    I used my Extang Trifecta on my Tacoma for 4+ yrs in Northern Vermont.
    It saw every kind of weather....heavy snow, ice, many Noreasters, sub zero temps, Hurricane Irene & the hot humid summer.
    I had no issues and actually sold it for $125 after almost 5 yrs of use & bought a new one for my Tundra.
    It came on and off the truck many times & was easy to install & remove.
    It is a great cover.

17. Aug 24, 2012 at 8:34 AM
    nelztaco

nelztaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Neil
    Levittown, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 SW
    UNDERCOVER, EIBACH COILS, TSB 4 LEAFS, TRD WHEELS, 255/85R16 KM2
    I really like the undercover. It was the first accessory I bought for the truck. Torrential downpour, heavy snow, it doesn't matter, everything stays dry. Took it to a drive-in movie last night and the kids sat on it to watch the movie! It's been on there for 3 years now & still kicking!
    [​IMG]

18. Aug 24, 2012 at 8:37 AM
    krob32

krob32 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Sierra Vista, AZ / Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB
    WeatherTec Digi Liners, AVS Bugflector II, TRD FJ SE Anthracite Rims, BF Goodrich AT KO2 265/75/16, AVS In-Channel Wind Deflectors, Extang Solid Fold, Pop & Lock, Color Match Grill Emblem (Anthracite), Plasti Dip Emblems, Tacoma Bed Mat, Tacoma Door Sill Protectors, ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, ICON UCAs, Wheeler's Progressive AAL, Wet Okoles, Sockmonkey 3rd Brake Light Cover, LED Hood/Bed Lighting w/ OTRATTW Switches, Famous Fabrication Sliders, Sockmonkey TRD Bed Decal, Proven Design 4x4 Mudflaps, BenWA's Rear Power Sliding Window, Jasper Off Road 6" Reverse LED Pod, ImMrYo Rear View Mirror Bracket, GrillCraft w/ Black Mesh and color matched Land Cruiser Emblem, LED Tail Lights, Badge Removal and Vinyl TRD/Tacoma Stickers, Bullaculla Trailer Harness Relocation.
    I got the Extang Solid Fold. It is low profile and is more secure than many others. Takes just a few minutes to put on or take off. Check with Truck Alterations for the TW discount.

[​IMG]

19. Aug 24, 2012 at 8:46 AM
    crazyrzr85

crazyrzr85 So many b!tches, so little time...now back to TW!!

Member:
    First Name:
    ErIc
    W.PA
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma TRD DBL Cab(Totaled) 09 DCSB OR BSP
    Rugged Ridge front mats and Husky rear mat, bed mat, vent visors, bug shield, pine scented tree on mirror
    Talk to Scott from truckaddons.com, he will hook you up big time!! I got an access unlimited from him and i love it!!

20. Aug 24, 2012 at 8:58 AM
    nelztaco

nelztaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Neil
    Levittown, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 SW
    UNDERCOVER, EIBACH COILS, TSB 4 LEAFS, TRD WHEELS, 255/85R16 KM2
    Here's a crappy cell phone pic of the undercover working at the drive in movie last night!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top