1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Headlight retrofit question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TommyKnockers, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Aug 19, 2012 at 12:27 PM
    TommyKnockers

TommyKnockers [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Seattle,
    First off yes I have read all the threads on this (least all the ones I could find).
    I have a 2011 Tacoma and I'm installing the TRS mini H1's. From what I can see or read on here the slotted locking nut and slotted grooves on the projector only allow you to install it one way. There was supposed to be no cutting or modification needed.
    However :) now that the headlight is back together and installed on the truck my cutoff line isn't level and rises to the outside on the drivers side enough that it will blind oncoming drivers.

I don't see anyone else that had to modify the bowl or light with the mini H1's, is this fixable or could it be a problem with the projector and I need to return it to TRS?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

2. Aug 20, 2012 at 9:13 PM
    TommyKnockers

TommyKnockers [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Seattle,
    I figured it out and thought I'd post in case someone else is doing a retrofit and runs into the same problems and feels slightly retarded.

Even with the locking slotted washer and threads on the projector there was a slight give left or right. And even just a slight clockwise turn caused the cutoff to not be even. And at 30 ft away on the garage wall the line was pretty bad. I loosened the nut but did not take it all the way off, once the projector was a little loose I used a screwdriver to gently pull the projector counter-clockwise while tightening the bolt clockwise. Once it was back on tight and plugged back in the cutoff line was perfectly level. :D

And to anyone who's done the retrofit in only a couple hours my hats off to you. This took me the better part of two weekends working on it off and on.

3. Aug 20, 2012 at 11:07 PM
    Chakachaka

Chakachaka Member

Member:
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC TRD Sport 4x4
    Good to know I'm going to buy some h1's myself

4. Aug 20, 2012 at 11:43 PM
    adio

adio Well-Known Member

Member:
    HI
    Vehicle:
    2015 INFERNO TRD PRO
    could we see some pic of the light output :)

Products Discussed in

To Top