1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New 2012 4 Cyl Access Cab -Buzzing Nose on Starting,Weird Image in Windshield Glass?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by AJ1G, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Aug 19, 2012 at 1:08 PM
    AJ1G

AJ1G [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Stonington, CT
    Vehicle:
    2012 2.7L Auto 4X4 SR5 Access Cab
    Could of oddities on our new 2012 Tacoma 4X4 4 Cyl-

1. Sometimes hear a buzzing whine noise from the engine bay, for typically for less than 30 seconds on startng the engine. I'm thinking maybe emissions control air injection pump to the cat converter - looks like this engine has one. I would get this on my 98 Volvo V70XC at times from its air pump,but only when it was really worn and on the verge of crapping out. If this is the air pump on the Tacoma, do they normally sound like this even when brand new?

2. Last night it was fairly humid and some fogging developed on the inside of the windshield. When I got in the truck and drove under some parking lot lights, I could see a very large number image, something like 7045, appearing to float in the glass in the upper left corner of the windshield. When I wiped off the fogging, the number disappeared. What's up with that, a factory windshield security code, like VIN etching? The image was really large, would be right in the upper half of my line of vision while driving.

2. Aug 19, 2012 at 1:32 PM
    Blkvulcan

Blkvulcan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Augusta, GA
    Vehicle:
    12 Prerunner SR5
    I get the noise when I first start the engine too. I've read that this is common.

I have noticed what looks like where suction cups were used on the windshield. I figured it was from the assembly.

3. Aug 19, 2012 at 1:34 PM
    jtgroce

jtgroce Got R Did

Member:
    In the Foothills, NC
    Vehicle:
    '12 Taco MGM TRD Off Road
    K&N Air Filter Husky Floor Liners Weathertech Vent Visors LED Map/Dome Light Mod Chrome Door Handles AVS Bugshield Bed Mat Fog Light Anytime Mod DTRL LED's Flowmaster Super 40
    Yes it is the air injection pump and it will do it forever to my knowledge. I have 9,300 miles on my truck and here it every time I start it up. Idk abt the the number showing up, seems like windshield wasn't cleaned very well where a sticker may have been.

4. Aug 19, 2012 at 1:38 PM
    jtgroce

jtgroce Got R Did

Member:
    In the Foothills, NC
    Vehicle:
    '12 Taco MGM TRD Off Road
    K&N Air Filter Husky Floor Liners Weathertech Vent Visors LED Map/Dome Light Mod Chrome Door Handles AVS Bugshield Bed Mat Fog Light Anytime Mod DTRL LED's Flowmaster Super 40
  5. Aug 19, 2012 at 3:44 PM
    Dirty Jersey

Dirty Jersey Rich

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2012 Access Cab - White
    Wet Okole Seat Covers, Debadged, Custom Fit Bed Mat, Cargo Net for Long Bed, All Weather OEM Floor Mats, MX Grillcraft Grill, Bully Tailgate Lock, Mini Mag Center Console Mod, SockMonkey 3rd Brakelight Cover, Lots of Love
    I thought I was going crazy but I have the same 4 small suction cup holes also. I've used windshield polish to try to remove but it's still there. I'm wondering if they used a liquid that may have done something to the glass

6. Aug 19, 2012 at 7:15 PM
    AJ1G

AJ1G [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Stonington, CT
    Vehicle:
    2012 2.7L Auto 4X4 SR5 Access Cab
    Thanks for the info all. I saw the air pump in the engine bay when i first got the truck, figured it might be a noisy one. No indication of suction cup marks in the glass, just that ghost image that I never saw before and I cannot see now! Will be interesting to see if if comes back if the inside glass fogs up again....seems like to see it, needed both the fogging and backlighting from above from the outside. Windshield was crystal clear when dry!

7. Aug 19, 2012 at 7:20 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    You're fine. That's just the Ghost of Allis Chalmers 7045 riding with you.[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top