Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Krylon fusion super white chrome grill surround

Old 08-20-2012, 12:17 PM   #1
overkill is underrated
bluefish is one of the sharper tools in the shedbluefish is one of the sharper tools in the shedbluefish is one of the sharper tools in the shedbluefish is one of the sharper tools in the shedbluefish is one of the sharper tools in the shedbluefish is one of the sharper tools in the shedbluefish is one of the sharper tools in the shedbluefish is one of the sharper tools in the shedbluefish is one of the sharper tools in the shedbluefish is one of the sharper tools in the shedbluefish is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nick
bluefish's Tacoma Gallery
Krylon fusion super white chrome grill surround

Just rattlecanned a chrome grill surround with krylon fusion superwhite gloss... was going to go a different route but I figured I'd try it for $5 and repaint with colormatched paint and 2k clear if my results are bad

First impression is that while the color is not exact, it's pretty damn acceptable and is not yellowy like people say about duplicilor white. Well see after some sun exposure

My experience with paint is that rattlecan enamel shouldn't be cleared, it will be much easier to just scuff and touch up with another coat of paint as needed. The rattlecan clears can cause wrinkling in enamel paint, and are only marginally more protective than the hardener...Lacquer based would be a different story but I think I'll skip the clear for now.... Have any of you folks sprayed clear over white enamel paint with good results? I'm worried about yellowing on super white too

I sanded with 120 then 220 on a random orbital, wiped with denatured alcohol, and sprayed 6 or 8 thin coats a few minutes apart in the shade, I used about 75% of a can but a lot of that was sprayed off the edges

I did the T logo with flat black high heat paint and baked it in the oven at 250 for a half hour, I will probably clear coat it later. I will use the high heat paint to black out behind the grill when I switch them out after a couple weeks when the white paint is fully cured

Old 08-21-2012, 06:56 AM   #2
geoff7877 has a spectacular aura aboutgeoff7877 has a spectacular aura about

geoff7877's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like it has a blue-ish tint to it compared to the rest of the truck. I'm thinking of painting mine black (black truck) but I'm using duplicolor color match.

What did you use to prep the surface for the white paint?
Old 08-21-2012, 07:20 AM   #3
overkill is underrated
bluefish is one of the sharper tools in the shedbluefish is one of the sharper tools in the shedbluefish is one of the sharper tools in the shedbluefish is one of the sharper tools in the shedbluefish is one of the sharper tools in the shedbluefish is one of the sharper tools in the shedbluefish is one of the sharper tools in the shedbluefish is one of the sharper tools in the shedbluefish is one of the sharper tools in the shedbluefish is one of the sharper tools in the shedbluefish is one of the sharper tools in the shed
I simply sanded the chrome because I was using fusion which bites into the plastic pretty good on it's own.

If you're using duplicolor or similar an adhesion promoter is a good idea as the paint can flake off of plastic pretty easy.

The white is not a dead ringer, but it looks pretty good in real life, I'll post a pic in a couple weeks when I mount it
Old 08-21-2012, 07:43 AM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I did my headlights using the same white paint, instead of BHLM, I have SWHLM It's not an exact match to the truck's paint but, because it's behind the headlight lens, it's not in direct contact with the paint so no one notices. The grille will depend on how anal you are. You'll be able to tell the difference looking at it, it's like a shade or 2 off from the Toyota color.

I tried the same thing with my 2007 grille. Neither Duplicolor, paintscratch.com and Krylon were close enough for my liking. I ended up buying a color matched grille from the factory. I will say that out of the 3 paints I used, Krylon did seem to be the best match because it didn't yellow out on me.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:31 AM   #5
overkill is underrated
Yeah, depends on anal levels ..

I will have my existing chrome grill to mess with after I install this one, so if I'm unhappy I may try something else with that one, or sell it and buy a Toyota white one
Old 08-21-2012, 09:23 AM   #6
Eldo is on a distinguished road
Eldo's Tacoma Gallery
you bought a brand new truck and are spray-painting the grille...
Old 08-21-2012, 09:29 AM   #7
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldo View Post
Hell yeah he did, why not?
Old 08-21-2012, 10:10 AM   #8
overkill is underrated
Quote:
Yup, i did. I also added a bunch of accessories, drilled holes in various parts of the truck, cut some plastic stuff on the interior, removed the decals badges and mudflaps, new seat covers, put dinoc wrap on some trim parts, modified some factory wiring, added lights to the bed and interior, and soon i will either spray paint or replace the wheels and rear bumper

And thats nothing compared to a lot of the trucks on here. But hey, i still have the factory chrome grill so dont feel too sad for me there is still hope :
Old 08-21-2012, 10:40 AM   #9
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefish View Post
Yup, i did. I also added a bunch of accessories, drilled holes in various parts of the truck, cut some plastic stuff on the interior, removed the decals badges and mudflaps, new seat covers, put dinoc wrap on some trim parts, modified some factory wiring, added lights to the bed and interior, and soon i will either spray paint or replace the wheels and rear bumper

And thats nothing compared to a lot of the trucks on here. But hey, i still have the factory chrome grill so dont feel too sad for me there is still hope :
+1 for you
Old 08-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #11

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz4back View Post
It's not uncommon around here to mod a brand new truck.
That's the truth. Hell, one guy bought a brand spankin new Tacoma and went straight to long travel! Talk about major surgery on a new vehicle
Old 08-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #12
Eldo is on a distinguished road
Eldo's Tacoma Gallery
i assume all of the "mods" you have performed serve some sort of purpose (other than the dinoc rice-wrap)...
my comment wasn't directed at changing / modding a brand-new truck, I'm all for that!
the comment was directed at the fact that you just spent a really large sum of money buying a brand-new vehicle and are using paint that is meant for deck-chairs on it.

i think an oem paint-matched grille for your truck might be $250.00?...
Old 08-21-2012, 02:45 PM   #13
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
And spray paint is comparable and costs 10$???? I did the same thing to my 2010 and I get compliments on it all the time. Take your time and do it right, it'll stand up after 2 years and 30,000 miles with no wear.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:27 PM   #14
Raz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brett
Raz4back's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i assume all of the "mods" you have performed serve some sort of purpose (other than the dinoc rice-wrap)...
my comment wasn't directed at changing / modding a brand-new truck, I'm all for that!
the comment was directed at the fact that you just spent a really large sum of money buying a brand-new vehicle and are using paint that is meant for deck-chairs on it.

i think an oem paint-matched grille for your truck might be $250.00?...

If you can do the same thing with a spray can for a few dollars why not try? If you mess it up you can still buy a color matched grill. It took me $40 and a a few hours of my time to color match my mirrors, handles, and grill. The only thing better than the $500+ I saved is the satisfaction of doing it myself and having it look factory.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:31 PM   #15
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
"Note to self. Don't flame modders on TW...." jk jk