1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is locking diff worth upgrade to TRD from SR5 for 2WD?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Tacotoya, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Aug 20, 2012 at 7:43 PM
    Tacotoya

Tacotoya [OP] Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 V6 DCSB
    TBD
    Hi All,
    New to the forum here. I'm extremely excited about finally getting into a Tacoma (my dream truck). I've payed my dues with a 4 cyl ranger reg cab for over 5 years, and I hope to be pulling the trigger on a new 2012 Double Cab V6, sometime in the next couple of weeks. I live in Florida, so I've decided on 2wd for sure. However, I wanted to get some opinions on TRD vs. SR5. The only reason I feel I would opt for the TRD is the locking rear differential. I duck hunt and fish, and that sometime requires launching a small trailer in some muddier areas. From you guys' experience, how much difference does it make to be able to engage the locking diff in mud or sand situations where a normal 2WD would have gotten stuck? Would it justify the extra ~$1700 bucks? Also, is there no way to get the off-road TRD, and the hood scoop?

Many thanks for any feedback in advance, and I look forward to being a contributing member!

2. Aug 20, 2012 at 9:13 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Difference in MSRP between 4x4 SR5 and Prerunner TRD Off Road is only $520, may want to get a 4x4 if you can negotiate a reasonable deal.

For a RWD truck's locker to have any effect, you are depending on the ground traction to differ significantly within a span of 4-5 feet. On a slippery boat ramp a rear locker won't make much of a difference.

No way to get the hood scoop on TRD Off Road unless you do a hood swap yourself - won't be cheap because 2012 aftermarket body panels aren't common yet. There are stick-on scoops, which arguably look better than the tiny "slit" on 2012 trucks. Note the scoop costs more than 2005-2011 aftermarket hoods.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300487417095

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Aug 20, 2012 at 9:18 PM
    mike92y

mike92y Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Glendale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OFF ROAD
    OME all around. SPC UCA. This and that.
    Welcome. TRD offroad does not have the scoop. Scoop is for looks only it does nothing but look cool. As for diff locker I like mine. I was driving out of a wash or dry creek bed and had 1 rear tire about a foot in the air. I think the locker really helped me get over the 3 foot side of the wash. Also went up some pretty steep bumpy uneven hills with no probs. It depends on what you do but I suggest getting it if you can afford it. You may wish you had later.

4. Aug 20, 2012 at 9:20 PM
    mike92y

mike92y Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Glendale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OFF ROAD
    OME all around. SPC UCA. This and that.
    I agree $520 for 4X4 would be good.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  5. Aug 20, 2012 at 11:01 PM
    sonocotaco

sonocotaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ken
    Rohnert Park
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport AC 4x4 Super White
    SR5 4x4!

6. Aug 21, 2012 at 4:37 AM
    Tacotoya

Tacotoya [OP] Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 V6 DCSB
    TBD
    Thanks for the feedback guys. That's a good point on the 4x4 just being ~500 extra. I'm a bit hesitant to go with the 4x4, because of the impact it would have on gas mileage (albeit slight). Even 2 mpg, on average, difference would have a pretty significant impact over the course of 5 years, as prices climb. KenLyns made a great point about the locking diff and the 4-5 foot span, I think in 90 percent of cases I wouldn't be in terrain that made the locker useful.
    Anyways, I guess I still have some debating to do :/

Thanks, everyone. I'll be reporting back, hopefully in a couple weeks with pics of the new truck!!

7. Aug 21, 2012 at 9:07 AM
    Maticuno

Maticuno Resident Pine Swine

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Suburban 2500
    JBA Shorty Headers, Flowmaster FlowFX Sing/Dual Exhaust
    My DCLB 4X4 gets better average MPG than my previous AccessCab PreRunner, although most of that is due to the auto transmission being better geared than the manual. Point is the added components of the 4X4 doesn't really effect fuel economy that much.

Believe me (and the countless others on this forum that have made the same mistake), if you have the slightest inkling that you might make use of a 4 wheel drive truck, GET IT! Don't "settle" for a PreRunner. It will cost you more later when you realize you made an egregious error and have to trade up to a 4X4.

Products Discussed in

To Top