Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Brake squeak, only in reverse only early in the Am

Old 08-21-2012, 09:15 AM   #1
Paczowski123 is on a distinguished road
Name: David
Paczowski123's Tacoma Gallery
Brake squeak, only in reverse only early in the Am

As it states I have been chasing a brake squeal. It only happens on the initial start going in reverse te first time I drive it after sitting over night. At slow speeds as by the time I hit the bottom of the driveway it stops, almost like its rubbing some sort of film off the rotors. At first I thought it may be the light rust, but I've checked and they seem clean every time. It stops as soon as I get going to speed and never does it again , but it's horribly loud while I back down my driveway and have been trying to figure it out. Anyone experience this? Any fixes, I'm stumped. It did it with my old pads and rotors and now does it with my new pads and rotors.

Note: my friend and I have been argueing about where the taddle tales go on the pads so far as inboard bottom or outboard btm outboard top etc? What's the correct placement for te taddle tales?
Old 08-21-2012, 09:19 AM   #2
schleygo is just really niceschleygo is just really niceschleygo is just really niceschleygo is just really niceschleygo is just really nice

Name: Daniel
schleygo's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same issue but mine makes a thumping noise when the pads grip only in reverse the first time I drive it that day. It never happens in any other time....
Old 08-21-2012, 09:20 AM   #3
Deercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Deercantseeme's Tacoma Gallery
My truck also does this and I have no clue why.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:47 AM   #5
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
You are going to run into this condition all the time. It is not Toyota specific, and different vehicles do this. While you cannot see "rust" on the rotor, condensation still develops and can create a film on your rotors. The only way to reduce or prevent this I have found is either go 100% organic pads, or with the higher end premium pads.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:12 PM   #6
Paczowski123 is on a distinguished road
Name: David
Paczowski123's Tacoma Gallery
Well damn, looks like there's no specific fix for this one:/ guess I just gotta deal.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:54 PM   #7
TruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TruckyTruck's Tacoma Gallery
ive had the dealership work on them twice already. the second time they machined my rotors and cleaned them. that lasted about 500 miles. back to school bus breaks... i will have it there for the third time soon. if they cant get it right, im going to try different pads than what toyota offers.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:23 PM   #8
greasemonk is on a distinguished road

greasemonk's Tacoma Gallery
Same thing happens to me, good to know I'm not the only one
Old 08-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #9
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Surface rust from sitting damp over night. All disk rotors do this to a greater or lessor degree.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:00 PM   #10
TruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The noise is coming from the rear drums. At first mine just did it when I backed up, but now it's almost everytime I stop.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
You are going to run into this condition all the time. It is not Toyota specific, and different vehicles do this. While you cannot see "rust" on the rotor, condensation still develops and can create a film on your rotors. The only way to reduce or prevent this I have found is either go 100% organic pads, or with the higher end premium pads.
Hey Bill, do you work for a Toyota service shop? This is a rear break noise like I mentioned my last post. Are there better drum brakes I could use? Or some other trick. It really is embarrassing when I'm trying to ease down a slope or to a stop bad the breaks around going eeeeeeeeeee until I'm at a dead stop.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:24 PM   #12
ds46000 is on a distinguished road
ds46000's Tacoma Gallery
There is a TSB for this... I know because I had it done.

Front Brake Squeal in Reverse BR005R-07 SEP 07

If I'm not mistaken they change the pads and/or rotors and maybe the caliper pin or something...I can't remember exactly but I know I had it done under warranty.

Sounds like this should help a lot of folks!
Old 08-21-2012, 06:26 PM   #13
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Only problem is it only happens early morning and only happens once, the dealer probably can't replicate it unless they keep it overnight.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:30 PM   #14
ds46000's Tacoma Gallery
They took my word for it...i mean, if there is a TSB on it, then they obviously are aware of the problem and have had it come up multiples times (probably hundreds or thousands of times).

They might have you leave the truck w/ them overnight just to verify, but either way...might be worth your while.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:22 AM   #15
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

1. ds46000, his complaint is for a noise in the REAR in a drum system. that TSB will not apply in his case.

2. Truckytruck - no, not a Toyota tech, but I was a GM tech and instructor for over 18 years. On a side note, where do you go diving at? I used to live in Florida, so we dove at TONS of natural springs, and off the West Palm beach coast.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:38 AM   #16
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ds46000 View Post
There is a TSB for this... I know because I had it done.

Front Brake Squeal in Reverse BR005R-07 SEP 07

If I'm not mistaken they change the pads and/or rotors and maybe the caliper pin or something...I can't remember exactly but I know I had it done under warranty.

Sounds like this should help a lot of folks!
x2
I had this repair done on my tacoma.
It was bought new w/ 60 miles on it & it always squeaked first thing in the a.m. when in reverse.
The dealership did the tsb at 8k. the next 65k no squeak.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:30 AM   #17

Quote:
1. ds46000, his complaint is for a noise in the REAR in a drum system. that TSB will not apply in his case.

2. Truckytruck - no, not a Toyota tech, but I was a GM tech and instructor for over 18 years. On a side note, where do you go diving at? I used to live in Florida, so we dove at TONS of natural springs, and off the West Palm beach coast.
Im in dallas/fort worth. I had the TSB done for the noise in reverse in the morning, but the rear breaks are so noisy. i hear some people scuff the pads and that lasts a couple thousand miles, but i was thinking there might just be a better pad.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:37 AM   #18
ds46000's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

BamaToy, There are 5 posts above, including the OP, where people are talking about rotors and pads (i.e. front brakes). Only one guy chimed in that he now thinks its coming from the rear (although he claims to have had the front rotors machined which alleviated the problem for 500 miles, which doesn't explain why he thinks it's coming from the rear).

At any rate...to the rest of you, might want to get it checked out if you are still under warranty. Again, there is a squeaky brake tsb, so toyota is well aware of the problem. The main symptom of the tsb is a "loud brake squeal while in reverse", which is exactly what most of the posters in this thread are talking about.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:55 AM   #19
ASE Master Tech

Wow, a simple comment and I get ripped...calm down sir. lol OK, so we want to talk TSB, lets look at the wording.
Quoted from TSB: Some customers may experience front brake noise when driving the vehicle in reverse and applying the brake pedal. The noise will typically occur when backing out of a parking space after the vehicle has been stopped for an extended period of time. Updated front brake rotors and brake pad shim grease are now available to improve this condition.

Notice they said IMPROVE, not fix. As mentioned before, this is something that will not go away unless you use the organic pads, which unfortunately are cheap, and tend to wear out faster (or use the ceramic brake systems, which are REALLY expensive). Surface rust (which is not always visible) cannot be helped when you are dealing with a disc brake system. It happens, and there are other threads that talk about this same situation. My truck does it upon occasion as well, and it is a first gen. My sisters car, my mom's van, etc. It is the nature of the beast when dealing with semi-metalic brake pads. We had a similar bulletin when I was working for GM, and it was the same result. The noise will return. The more humid the area, the mover prevalent the condition.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:12 AM   #20
ds46000's Tacoma Gallery
you didn't get ripped, so no pity party for you. i'm simply trying to help those w/ the brake squeal as many people's situation, including mine, has "improved" to the point that the squeal no longer exists (some might even venture to call this a fix) after getting the TSB.

You can reiterate your GM experience all you want, but it isn't adding anything constructive to the conversation.

Tacoma Brake squeal in reverse usually after long periods of time. ---> Toyota performs TSB to "improve" brake squeal. ---> No more brake squeal.

Pretty simple really.

As for the noise returning: According to the ONLY 2 people in this thread to have actually had the brake squeal TSB performed...that's simply not true.

Not arguing w/ you anymore bro...I clicked on this thread to help as I have 1st hand experience w/ the problem described by the OP, but my experience (which is backed up by other claims) apparently doesn't compete with your vast GM superpower knowledge. I'm out.