1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brake squeak, only in reverse only early in the Am

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Paczowski123, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Aug 21, 2012 at 9:15 AM
    Paczowski123

Paczowski123 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Kennesaw
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner trd off road
    OME 3" Lift, Kennesaw Mountain Off Road Wincher Front Bumper w/ 5" Integrated off road lights, Kennesaw Mountain Off Road Multi Carrier Rear Bumper w/ swingout tire carrier, Jerry can, and hi-lift mount, Sof-topper rear cargo cover. Galaxy DX44V CB Radio W/ 4' FireStikII, Rock Sliders
    As it states I have been chasing a brake squeal. It only happens on the initial start going in reverse te first time I drive it after sitting over night. At slow speeds as by the time I hit the bottom of the driveway it stops, almost like its rubbing some sort of film off the rotors. At first I thought it may be the light rust, but I've checked and they seem clean every time. It stops as soon as I get going to speed and never does it again , but it's horribly loud while I back down my driveway and have been trying to figure it out. Anyone experience this? Any fixes, I'm stumped. It did it with my old pads and rotors and now does it with my new pads and rotors.

Note: my friend and I have been argueing about where the taddle tales go on the pads so far as inboard bottom or outboard btm outboard top etc? What's the correct placement for te taddle tales?

2. Aug 21, 2012 at 9:19 AM
    schleygo

schleygo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Ft Worth TX
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab Radiant Red
    Bilsten 5100s, Eibach Coils, 2" toytec AAL, LR UCAs, SC5 Matt Bronze
    I have the same issue but mine makes a thumping noise when the pads grip only in reverse the first time I drive it that day. It never happens in any other time....

3. Aug 21, 2012 at 9:20 AM
    Deercantseeme

Deercantseeme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    My truck also does this and I have no clue why.

4. Aug 21, 2012 at 9:20 AM
    Amo-cat3

Amo-cat3 Wizard Sleeve Master

Member:
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Blown dubcab
    TRD Supercharged 4.0 w/ 2.5" Quick change Pulley, UCON EMS, URD 7th injector, AFE Stage II intake, DT Longtubes, MBRP 2.5" dual exhaust w/ Vibrant Ultra resonator, URD Y-pipe w/ vibrant v-bands (Cat free), Walboro 255 fuel pump, SS Oil catch can, Aeroforce gauges, Icon CDC 2.5 coilover set at 3", 1.5" Wleelers Progressive aal, Light racing uca, 17x8.5 Fuel Anza 4.5" backspace/-6 mm offset, Kelly Safari a/t 265/70/17, scanguage 2, AMP electric steps, bed extender, Low-pro tonneau cover, 20% tinted windows/headlights/taillights, tacoma seat covers, Image dynamic sound system w/ Pinoneer avh3200 head, assrtd stickers................
    Mine do in the morning in reverse. Not all the time, mostly on the colder mornings.

5. Aug 21, 2012 at 9:47 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    You are going to run into this condition all the time. It is not Toyota specific, and different vehicles do this. While you cannot see "rust" on the rotor, condensation still develops and can create a film on your rotors. The only way to reduce or prevent this I have found is either go 100% organic pads, or with the higher end premium pads.

6. Aug 21, 2012 at 12:12 PM
    Paczowski123

Paczowski123 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Kennesaw
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner trd off road
    OME 3" Lift, Kennesaw Mountain Off Road Wincher Front Bumper w/ 5" Integrated off road lights, Kennesaw Mountain Off Road Multi Carrier Rear Bumper w/ swingout tire carrier, Jerry can, and hi-lift mount, Sof-topper rear cargo cover. Galaxy DX44V CB Radio W/ 4' FireStikII, Rock Sliders
    Well damn, looks like there's no specific fix for this one:/ guess I just gotta deal.

7. Aug 21, 2012 at 2:54 PM
    TruckyTruck

TruckyTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Crewmax TSS Off-Road 4x4, sr5/leather
    ive had the dealership work on them twice already. the second time they machined my rotors and cleaned them. that lasted about 500 miles. back to school bus breaks... i will have it there for the third time soon. if they cant get it right, im going to try different pads than what toyota offers.

8. Aug 21, 2012 at 3:23 PM
    greasemonk

greasemonk Active Member

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    08 Black PreRunner V6
    HIDs, debadged, 2012 taco tail lights, mud flaps removed, black grill emblem, JVC Radio
    Same thing happens to me, good to know I'm not the only one

9. Aug 21, 2012 at 5:33 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Surface rust from sitting damp over night. All disk rotors do this to a greater or lessor degree.

10. Aug 21, 2012 at 6:00 PM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    Vehicle:
    The noise is coming from the rear drums. At first mine just did it when I backed up, but now it's almost everytime I stop.

11. Aug 21, 2012 at 6:04 PM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Hey Bill, do you work for a Toyota service shop? This is a rear break noise like I mentioned my last post. Are there better drum brakes I could use? Or some other trick. It really is embarrassing when I'm trying to ease down a slope or to a stop bad the breaks around going eeeeeeeeeee until I'm at a dead stop.

12. Aug 21, 2012 at 6:24 PM
    ds46000

ds46000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner TRD Sport
    There is a TSB for this... I know because I had it done.

Front Brake Squeal in Reverse BR005R-07 SEP 07

If I'm not mistaken they change the pads and/or rotors and maybe the caliper pin or something...I can't remember exactly but I know I had it done under warranty.

Sounds like this should help a lot of folks!

13. Aug 21, 2012 at 6:26 PM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Only problem is it only happens early morning and only happens once, the dealer probably can't replicate it unless they keep it overnight.

14. Aug 21, 2012 at 6:30 PM
    ds46000

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner TRD Sport
    They took my word for it...i mean, if there is a TSB on it, then they obviously are aware of the problem and have had it come up multiples times (probably hundreds or thousands of times).

They might have you leave the truck w/ them overnight just to verify, but either way...might be worth your while.

15. Aug 22, 2012 at 6:22 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1. ds46000, his complaint is for a noise in the REAR in a drum system. that TSB will not apply in his case.

2. Truckytruck - no, not a Toyota tech, but I was a GM tech and instructor for over 18 years. On a side note, where do you go diving at? I used to live in Florida, so we dove at TONS of natural springs, and off the West Palm beach coast.

16. Aug 22, 2012 at 7:38 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    x2
    I had this repair done on my tacoma.
    It was bought new w/ 60 miles on it & it always squeaked first thing in the a.m. when in reverse.
    The dealership did the tsb at 8k. the next 65k no squeak.

17. Aug 22, 2012 at 10:30 AM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Im in dallas/fort worth. I had the TSB done for the noise in reverse in the morning, but the rear breaks are so noisy. i hear some people scuff the pads and that lasts a couple thousand miles, but i was thinking there might just be a better pad.

18. Aug 22, 2012 at 11:37 AM
    ds46000

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner TRD Sport

BamaToy, There are 5 posts above, including the OP, where people are talking about rotors and pads (i.e. front brakes). Only one guy chimed in that he now thinks its coming from the rear (although he claims to have had the front rotors machined which alleviated the problem for 500 miles, which doesn't explain why he thinks it's coming from the rear).

At any rate...to the rest of you, might want to get it checked out if you are still under warranty. Again, there is a squeaky brake tsb, so toyota is well aware of the problem. The main symptom of the tsb is a "loud brake squeal while in reverse", which is exactly what most of the posters in this thread are talking about.

19. Aug 23, 2012 at 5:55 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    Wow, a simple comment and I get ripped...calm down sir. lol :D OK, so we want to talk TSB, lets look at the wording.
    Quoted from TSB: Some customers may experience front brake noise when driving the vehicle in reverse and applying the brake pedal. The noise will typically occur when backing out of a parking space after the vehicle has been stopped for an extended period of time. Updated front brake rotors and brake pad shim grease are now available to improve this condition.

Notice they said IMPROVE, not fix. As mentioned before, this is something that will not go away unless you use the organic pads, which unfortunately are cheap, and tend to wear out faster (or use the ceramic brake systems, which are REALLY expensive). Surface rust (which is not always visible) cannot be helped when you are dealing with a disc brake system. It happens, and there are other threads that talk about this same situation. My truck does it upon occasion as well, and it is a first gen. My sisters car, my mom's van, etc. It is the nature of the beast when dealing with semi-metalic brake pads. We had a similar bulletin when I was working for GM, and it was the same result. The noise will return. The more humid the area, the mover prevalent the condition.

20. Aug 23, 2012 at 7:12 AM
    ds46000

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner TRD Sport
    you didn't get ripped, so no pity party for you. i'm simply trying to help those w/ the brake squeal as many people's situation, including mine, has "improved" to the point that the squeal no longer exists (some might even venture to call this a fix) after getting the TSB.

You can reiterate your GM experience all you want, but it isn't adding anything constructive to the conversation.

Tacoma Brake squeal in reverse usually after long periods of time. ---> Toyota performs TSB to "improve" brake squeal. ---> No more brake squeal.

Pretty simple really.

As for the noise returning: According to the ONLY 2 people in this thread to have actually had the brake squeal TSB performed...that's simply not true.

Not arguing w/ you anymore bro...I clicked on this thread to help as I have 1st hand experience w/ the problem described by the OP, but my experience (which is backed up by other claims) apparently doesn't compete with your vast GM superpower knowledge. I'm out.

Products Discussed in

To Top