1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Excessive corrosion on undergear - 2008

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by coveylane, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Aug 21, 2012 at 10:15 AM
    coveylane

coveylane [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Coveylane
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I have a 2008 Tacoma with about 29K miles on it. It is in Canada but was purchased at Bryan Easler Toyota in Hendersonville, NC. I have had it undercoated each year but when working on a steering problem recently I noticed a lot of corrosion on bolt heads and fittings underneath. Today I had my alternator replaced. It had seized and burned the belt off. He said there was alot of corrosion and if I planned to keep the truck, it was going cost a lot of money down the road. Even the alternator was corroded. He said it looks like it was driven in salt water and he didn't mean on the highway. I am the only driver. Does anyone know of any vehicles which might have been either submerged or at least through a flood of some kind. Has anyone run into this problem? It is due for its 30K service at Toyota and I want to ask them about this.

2. Aug 21, 2012 at 2:40 PM
    Blackbear

Blackbear Hardtooree Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2008 Blk SR5 2.7 4X4 5 spd ACab
    (DIY)...Fog lights, alloys, wheelwell liners, tonneau, frame cleanup & rustproofing, floor mats, trailer hitch.
    Things to keep in mind:
    1.) You live in the snow/salt belt.
    2.) You drive a truck with a frame that's known to prematurely rust.
    3.) Dealers aren't the place to get your vehicle rustproofed...assuming you want it to actually work.

Put it all together and your prognosis for a serious tacomatic rustectomy is pretty much a done deal.

Check out the past rust-related threads on this site, there's good info about do's and don'ts so that your truck won't disintegrate too soon. BTW, I also have a 2008. Did a DIY frame clean-up and rust prevention job when I bought it early last year. So far it's looking very good...no visible rust at all on the treated areas (did inside the bumper as well)...and I too live in the snow/salt belt.

Like they say, an ounce of prevention...

3. Aug 22, 2012 at 3:57 AM
    coveylane

coveylane [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Coveylane
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    1. "You live in the snow/salt belt."
    I know that but this isn't the only vehicle this mechanic works on, I doubt if he has to make a point of saying this to many people while the first set of tires are still on the truck. I looked at a 2008 Ford Ranger and his looks great under the hood.
    2. It is not just the frame but the bolts and fittings are blowing up. My Nissan did not do this.
    3. First rust proof was at a GoodYear dealer (Krown) and since that it is RustCheck. No dealer rust proofing.

4. Aug 27, 2012 at 1:43 PM
    Blackbear

Blackbear Hardtooree Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2008 Blk SR5 2.7 4X4 5 spd ACab
    (DIY)...Fog lights, alloys, wheelwell liners, tonneau, frame cleanup & rustproofing, floor mats, trailer hitch.
    You might try doing a title check to see if the truck went through a flood and was re-sold (perhaps grounds for getting your money back), or at least contacting the NC dealer to get more background on the prior owner. I suppose that owner could have done some 'beach surfing' with the truck...thus the heavy corrosion on the undercarriage. Sorry to hear of your situation, hope it works out for you.

5. Aug 27, 2012 at 5:26 PM
    Tommy27

Tommy27 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tommy
    Boise,ID
    Vehicle:
    White 09 AC 4x4 2.7 5spd SR5
    Leer shell, Bed mat, Grill Guard
    If you see a water line in the inner door panels thats a sure sign that the truck went swimming

Products Discussed in

To Top