1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Military Rebate - Need Help

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by GatorQ, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Aug 21, 2012 at 4:58 PM
    GatorQ

GatorQ [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport, DCSB, AT, 4x4, Nautical Blue
    JBL Entune, TRD Exhaust, Skid Plate, DRLs, Tow Package. Seat heaters w/ Toyota OEM rotary switches, Access LE Tonneau, OEM Chrome Grille Surround Future Mods: WeatherTechs & Locking Tailgate.
    I need some clarification...For the past 12 weeks I have been anxiously awaiting delivery on my 2012 DCSB (long story, but I wanted blue with Entune). My stealership has promised all along that I would not only get the $500 rebate for being in the military, but I would also get the $500 cash back that was in effect when I ordered the Tacoma back in May. The $500 cash back is not an issue. Today I inspected the Tacoma and am now being told I MUST finance thru Toyota Financial Services, even though I was approved for a rate that is 0.50% higher than my own bank. Smacks of a "bait & switch", and this isn't the first time either.

Everywhere I have looked on line (except one site) says the only requirement (aside from ID card and LES) is that one must get "approval" thru TFS.

Thoughts?

2. Aug 21, 2012 at 5:35 PM
    jpmorrisvb

jpmorrisvb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod
    It is all about the "fine print" ... I am sure that this clause was there from the beginning ... nothing comes free ... they are going to recoup their rebate $$$ ... you had better read your contract with the military (USN - Ret.).

3. Aug 21, 2012 at 5:39 PM
    griffin407c

griffin407c Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB MGM 4x4 Sport w/Entune
    OME 885s on Bilstein 5100s set at 0 with 1/2" plate spacers. OME Dakars with Bilstein 5100 Extended Length Shocks. 16" Pro Comp 7032 wheels wrapped with 285/75-16 Duratracs
    fine print my friend. it's stated in several places that you have to finance through toyota. i did anyways because toyota beat usaa's interest rate by about .60%.

4. Aug 21, 2012 at 5:41 PM
    FastEddie

FastEddie Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2012 super white access cab, base model
    the dealership did the same thing to me with the recent graduate rebate

5. Aug 21, 2012 at 5:47 PM
    toppdawg

toppdawg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Jackson, TN
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4
    Same thing happened to me last month when i bought my 2012. I'm active duty Air Force and over the phone they promised me both of those but when i went and bought it they told me the same as what you said.

6. Aug 21, 2012 at 5:51 PM
    GatorQ

GatorQ [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    JBL Entune, TRD Exhaust, Skid Plate, DRLs, Tow Package. Seat heaters w/ Toyota OEM rotary switches, Access LE Tonneau, OEM Chrome Grille Surround Future Mods: WeatherTechs & Locking Tailgate.
    I know all about "fine print", 20 years as an AF engineer, multiple contracts, etc...I read just tonight about the military rebate on Military.com and no mention of actually financing thru TFS was made. Couple that with the fact the TFS offer was higher than my USAA offer.

I think I will just stick to my guns and make them honor the original agreement that I had both verbally and in writing (to honor the $500 Toyota cash back and the %500 military rebate).

7. Aug 21, 2012 at 5:52 PM
    GatorQ

GatorQ [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    BTW, love your avatar. Go Sawx!
    From New England originally, Sawx fan for life!

8. Aug 21, 2012 at 6:01 PM
    jimmyv

jimmyv New Member

Member:
    That is how the program works, Toyota appreciates the service that you provide the country but you must finance with them to get the military rebate. Seriously .5 percent may change you payment a few dollars but the extra $500 will more than overcome that. You can go to Toyota's website to verify that you need to finance with them as well. Good luck.

9. Aug 21, 2012 at 6:07 PM
    fenway.park27

fenway.park27 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    CT
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD off road access cab
    Front and rear Weathertech floormats, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Bracket, anytime fog lights, always on cigarette lighter & power outlet mod, center console and glovebox organizer, LED map and dome lights, Flyzeye LED, Fumoto oil drain valve, FT-8800 ham radio, tailgate theft mod
    Take the contract to base legal and see what they have to say. Can't hurt to ask and then, refinance.

10. Aug 21, 2012 at 6:10 PM
    griffin407c

griffin407c Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB MGM 4x4 Sport w/Entune
    OME 885s on Bilstein 5100s set at 0 with 1/2" plate spacers. OME Dakars with Bilstein 5100 Extended Length Shocks. 16" Pro Comp 7032 wheels wrapped with 285/75-16 Duratracs
    you can try. i worked over the phone and through email with my dealership from halfway across the world. they were honest and upfront from the start. every dealership has their faults and they should have told you that tfs was necessary for the rebate.

11. Aug 21, 2012 at 6:11 PM
    jpmorrisvb

jpmorrisvb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod

Best of luck Brother ... calm and soft spoken stands always have worked best for me ... if you go in ranting and raving they will write you off as being crazy ... customer service doesn't know how to handle cool and calm.

12. Aug 21, 2012 at 6:19 PM
    Ragin Devildoc

Ragin Devildoc MOLON LABE

Member:
    First Name:
    Doc
    Grunt Life
    Vehicle:
    12 Prerunner DCSB SR5
    16x8.5 level 8 guardian w/ hankook dynapro atm rf10, aFe pro dry s, flowmaster dbx exhaust, debadged, 2nd air filter removal
    Use USAA discounts .... you can get your Tacoma for 1200 under invoice.

13. Aug 21, 2012 at 6:21 PM
    GatorQ

GatorQ [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    Agreed. I was calm and cool when I went in person 6 weeks ago, sources tell me I created quite the stir by NOT yelling & screaming and making demands. Will be calm and cool again Thursday and either I drive away happy, or I take my business elsewhere.

14. Aug 21, 2012 at 6:23 PM
    GatorQ

GatorQ [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    Used USAA and got the TRD sport DCSB 4x4 in Nautical Blue with JBL Entune, tow package, DRL, Skid plate AND TRD Exhaust for $31,878 (before rebates), well below invoice. That was 12+ weeks ago, it just showed up today....they even drove it 267 miles for me from the other dealership, which was nice.

15. Aug 21, 2012 at 6:29 PM
    bjboucher

bjboucher Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Former 2012 DCLB 4x4 SR5 Texas Edition
    OME complete kit w/ 885s on Nitrocharger Sports, 1/4" spacers, Dakars w/ Nitrocharger Sports, LR UCAs, 265/70-17, Duratracs, G4 Elite tonneau, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech digital floor liners, factory JBL/Entune, rear differential breather relocate.
    I don't think you're going to find a dealership that will honor the military discount without using TFS, so it may be a battle you can't win. Probably not worth it in my opinion. I got both and TFS beat USAA anyway. What you may be able to get them to do is match the rates of the other bank, that is a fight you might be able to win.

16. Aug 21, 2012 at 6:29 PM
    Ragin Devildoc

Ragin Devildoc MOLON LABE

Member:
    First Name:
    Doc
    Grunt Life
    Vehicle:
    12 Prerunner DCSB SR5
    16x8.5 level 8 guardian w/ hankook dynapro atm rf10, aFe pro dry s, flowmaster dbx exhaust, debadged, 2nd air filter removal
    +1 .... Make sure you use an approved USAA member dealership. I got mine for 4200 under MSRP - worth while to look into it if you can!

I got 2.69 for 72 months through USAA - dealership didn't care if I used TSF or USAA

17. Aug 21, 2012 at 6:38 PM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    If the cash back is okay (as you say), forget the military rebate. Get the dealer to knock that $500 off the price or add options worth that. Most are quite willing to sweeten the deal with options since they get those at wholesale prices and sell to you at retail (costs them less to get to that $500).

18. Aug 21, 2012 at 8:22 PM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    Why don't you finance through Toyota to get the rebate, then turn around and refiniance through your bank to get the lower interest rate?

19. Aug 21, 2012 at 8:45 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    excellent advice
    excellent

btw, I'd run the numbers on the .50% and see what it really cost ya in payments and interest over the life of the loan.

it may not be worth the fight. even a calm cool & collected one.

Good Luck!

20. Aug 21, 2012 at 8:46 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    another excellent resolution

Products Discussed in

To Top