1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The *real* blower motor on low chirp problem and reapir

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by fireboltr, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Aug 24, 2012 at 1:56 PM
    fireboltr

fireboltr [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Hollister
    Vehicle:
    07 preRunner
    Ok here goes....

I normally lurk A LOT and post some random ramblings and such but i have seen too many so called fixes for the blower motor it urks me... (no offense to anyone who has tried to solve this annoying issue for us)

We have all seen all the various threads here and on other sites saying tighten and loosen this, balance that, or the bearings are dry. First of all this is a balanced floating type dc brushed motor, with self lubricating phosphor bronze bushings. Second if the motor was out of balance it would have self destructed shortly after the chirp started.

What is going on is this is a FLOATING assembly... its floating and self aligning as it was designed and supposed to do, allowing a LONG high rpm service free life.

As you can see from the picture there is a brown PCB brush retainer around the commutator that is rubber mounted. I know a lot of you have cleaned, lubed , and or balanced and the issue seems to have gone away. What I believe to have happened is you have unknowingly reversed the orientation of the PCB when you disassembled the motor, OR you have moved the alignment within the rubber retainers.
    [​IMG]

Try this test... Remove the blower motor just like you have before, and remove the back plate exposing the motor's bottom plate and brush retainers rubber mount/isolator. Plug the motor back in, hold it in an upright orientation just like it was within the unit and turn it on low, Notice the "chirp"??? Now take and apply pressure back and forth to the outside of the rubber mounts. Notice something??? The chirp comes and goes depending upon witch direction you push.

Within the motor there is run out (play) along the length of the motor allowing the commutator to drop into the brush PCB. Depending on where your motor has settled to within its life to achieve its proper balance, you are now rubbing on that PCB.

Here is the dirty untouched side of the PCB.
    [​IMG]

Now here is the other side of the PCB where the commutator has been rubbing it.
    [​IMG]

Here is a pic showing the commutator where the PCB has been rubbing.
    The shiny ring up against the winding retainers.
    [​IMG]

In a floating self aligning type motor like this there will ALWAYS be some amount of being out of balance. It is a fan that has crap "thrown" into it after all. Dirt, leaves, twigs, rocks, sand, you name it hits the impeller blades during its service causing this slight out of balance, allowing the motor shaft to SLIGHTLY wobble. This is why delphi used a self aligning/balancing motor assembly, with a rubber mounted brush assembly. (smart)

Here is where the problem is... They made the flipping hole SLIGHTLY too small in the PCB. When the run out allows the commutator to drop down it hits it...

The fix is actually very simple.
    you need to remove ~ 1/32 of material tapering it outward towards the motor side all the way around from the inside of the PCB. What this does is allows the motor to float and settle to where it needs to thus "balancing" the unit.

Here's a pic, yes it is this simple! :jerkoff:
    [​IMG]

Reassemble the motor and enjoy the silence PERMANENTLY

2. Aug 24, 2012 at 2:01 PM
    BadgerCO4x4

BadgerCO4x4 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Rear leaf TSB, extra D-rings in bed
    Sub'd. This drives me crazy!

3. Aug 24, 2012 at 2:09 PM
    ElCid11Taco

ElCid11Taco Trashy is Classy

Member:
    First Name:
    Parker
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport
    4x Innovations sliders, Rear Diff Breather Mod...More to come!
    Awesome! I just had the dealer fix mine (under warranty). If this one goes out I am trying your way!

4. Aug 24, 2012 at 2:13 PM
    themuffinman619

themuffinman619 Play stupid games, win stupid prizes

Member:
    First Name:
    themuffinman
    Vehicle:
    Your moms house
    This is on my to do list.

5. Aug 24, 2012 at 7:02 PM
    92dlxman

92dlxman drinking whats on sale

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 access 4x4 4.0 6-gear
    5100s, ome884s, wheelers aal kit, and some rustoleum
    but what did you use to remove that material?

6. Aug 24, 2012 at 7:06 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    I fixed mine 1.5 years ago by adding a thin brass washer to the pack of thrust washers at the bottom, which took up a lot of excessive end play, and probably lifted the armature enough to clear the brush holder. I found the noise went away when I pushed upward on the armature shaft when it was running on Lo, so tried the shim, and have not looked back. Your discovery explains why it worked, because the end play alone should not have caused the noise.

7. Aug 24, 2012 at 7:19 PM
    TwzteD

TwzteD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    St Lucie Fl
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 reg cab Auto
    2013 4x4 reg cab, 2011 4runner sr5 rims, 265 general grabber at2's, 5100's All 4 corners with fronts at .85, De badged, Egr Rainguards, Led tail lights, Int wipers, fog lights, Trailer Hitch, POwer locks+ keyless entry, Extang Solidfold Bed Cover, WeatherTech Mats, Stubbie Antenna, Trd Skid Plate, Tint, Scanguage, Cargo net in bed, Sound Ordnance B-8PT, FULID FILM Under Coat.
    subbed good thinking.

8. Aug 24, 2012 at 7:24 PM
    Texas Taco

Texas Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    U.S.
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DC 4x4 QS
    Icon stage 4 w/RXT leaf pack and shocks, Icon hydraulic bump stops, LT285/75R16 BFG KO2s, 30" Rigid light bar, HIDs, and window tinting. More to come...
    I took mine back to the dealership and they replaced it for free with the new model of the motor. Been working like a champ ever since, chirp free.

9. Aug 24, 2012 at 7:55 PM
    fireboltr

fireboltr [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Hollister
    Vehicle:
    07 preRunner
    Sorry about that...

I used a dremel with the sanding drum attachment.

Yes, from what I can tell from the "updated" motor that I have seen is they basically removed shim from the top and placed it on the bottom.
    This should work, well that is until the thrust washer wears a little longer and the rubber wears over time, your back into the PCB. If you look closer at my pic you will notice that the base of the commutator is flaired, this is why i suggested tapering the PCB in that direction. God forbid that they make the whole bigger :rolleyes:

Or plan "B" if you feel adventurous is to square off the bottom edge of the commutator, but I prefer opening up the whole on the holder as opposed to :homer: with the comm.

10. Aug 24, 2012 at 8:27 PM
    D44boy

D44boy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kaneohe, hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2011 prerunner double cab
    Subbed

11. Sep 9, 2012 at 6:52 PM
    drcarp

drcarp Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Worked great! Thanks!

12. Sep 9, 2012 at 7:03 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Phil For President!

13. Sep 14, 2012 at 9:14 PM
    Chepo

Chepo Tankoma!

Member:
    Mexico City
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport
    Lots...
    I think im gonna do this during the weekend!,

14. Sep 15, 2012 at 7:24 PM
    Hurtin Albertan

Hurtin Albertan Free Man

Member:
    First Name:
    Duck
    on the road less traveled
    Vehicle:
    The mud hides the tree scrapes in the paint
    Huskyliner floor mats
    Coolio, I have removed and cleaned it every 2 years or so, whenever I hafta strike it to engage the fan. Next time it's in my hand I'll try this.

15. Sep 16, 2012 at 1:28 AM
    Hardscrabble

Hardscrabble Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    McDonough, GA
    Vehicle:
    ‘20 Sport M/T AC 4WD & '15 TRDOR DCSB 4WD
    A little of this and a little of that.
    Thanks for the nice write up & pictures. I'll try this before going to dealership for warranty replacement.

16. Sep 16, 2012 at 4:34 AM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    I pulled the fan out of my 2010. The brush holder is not made from fiberglass / epoxy like shown. The brush holder in my motor was molded plastic.

The clearance on the center hole was more than adequate. There was no wear or rub marks on either the brush holder or anywhere on the armature.

Previously, I had done as originally mentioned, pulled it apart (only the brush end), cleaned and lubricated the bushing. It worked for a little while.

This last time,I did make a change though. Not finding any contact, I cleaned the end of the shaft and other parts, I reassembled the motor and found that with the screws barely snug, there was no end play in the motor shaft. Ultimately, I removed the oem rubber washer that is installed to control end play on the shaft. I replaced it with a metal washer slightly thinner. Once assembled, I ensured the motor shaft had axial end play.

Removed the end cap, lubricated the bushing and again reassembled. Again verified the shaft had clearance.

Works so far.

Not saying this will be the repair, I wonder if the rubber washer was expanding with heat, and applying pressure onto the bushing.

Time will tell.

PK

17. Sep 16, 2012 at 6:22 AM
    WaldoOneFive

WaldoOneFive Forum n00b

Member:
    Cape Cod, MA
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Sport
    I planned on doing the "old" fix today... between those threads and now this one, I am looking forward to getting this problem fixed. It has always driven me crazy!

18. Sep 16, 2012 at 6:38 AM
    Highland Logan

Highland Logan UBIQUE

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black AC TRD Off Road w/ factory tow pkg
    Icon Stage 2 w/ overload left in, SPC LR UCA, 265/75 16 BFG KO2, front and rear Weathertech floor liners, OEM (Extang) solid fold tonneau, OEM bed mat, OEM front skid plate, OEM billet oil cap, "TOYOYA" tailgate decal
    ^^
    This.

Frank

19. Feb 16, 2013 at 10:08 AM
    tgw13

tgw13 Member

Member:
    ATX
    Vehicle:
    '10 4X4 DC TRD
    The write up seems great but the pictures have gone away. Possible to repost?

Thx!

20. Mar 14, 2013 at 9:43 PM
    fireboltr

fireboltr [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Hollister
    Vehicle:
    07 preRunner
    Sorry Webshots died and took my pics with them... I will have to see if i still have the pics and repost when i get them hosted again.

Found something new on mine as the chirp VERY slowly came back...
    One of the washers wore down to nothing allowing the com to drop into the brush holder.
    Luckily i had a bunch of phosphor bronze bushings laying around to "shim" it back up.
    All better again

Products Discussed in

To Top