Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Bumper integrated winch mount - product dev questions

Old 08-26-2012, 01:20 AM   #21
TJ'sTOYCOMA
tmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: T-Rey
tmreyes1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by usoffroad View Post
I wish I could go to TOTH myself but since I had a total brain fart several years ago and got married on the 28th I can't make it happen. I mean, who in their right mind gets married on a date that interferes with the opening weekend of dove season? (She's worth it but...doh )
Just take her with you as an anniversary present. Make her feel special with some new cammo as well
Old 08-26-2012, 04:55 AM   #22
tex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
tex's Tacoma Gallery
I'm local and have been looking into this option of running a winch with the stock bumper. PM me if you want to try and work something out to use my truck.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:01 AM   #23
tex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
tex's Tacoma Gallery
Also a design that would allow for front D rings would be awesome and maybe a hi lift jack point.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:19 AM   #24
Gearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gearheadesw's Tacoma Gallery
YES, YES, and YES. Just what I've been searching for, front mount almost stealth looking keeping the front bumper pretty much the same as stock, while adding recovery points. YES. I'm watching you OP. Thanks for bringing this over here to T.W.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:51 AM   #25
Professional Grease Monkey
JustAddMud is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustAddMud is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustAddMud is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustAddMud is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustAddMud is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustAddMud is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustAddMud is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustAddMud is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustAddMud is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustAddMud is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustAddMud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Aerospace Maintenance
Name: J
JustAddMud's Tacoma Gallery
I would like this option as well. I have been bouncing around the idea of a bull bar/light bar or the full steel/aluminum winch mount that a few other companies offer. However, I am hesitant to throw a 100+ lb block on the front of my truck. I like your winch mount design, keeps it looking stock while seperates it from other tacomas. Looking under my truck at the 'iffy' recovery points scares me. It might be too much to ask for, but if you can keep the weight down while increasing front bumper ridgidity, that would deffinatly be a plus. Additionally, adding a high lift jack attachment point would also benifit the end user. Im sure you want to remain competetive in the market for front ends so I have a ballpark figure on pricing, however, Ill remain open and wait with baited wings. I look forward to seeing what this could look like mounted on the Taco's front end. Best of luck to you.

-J
Old 08-26-2012, 08:15 PM   #26
stretch85 has a spectacular aura aboutstretch85 has a spectacular aura about
stretch85's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAddMud View Post
I would like this option as well. I have been bouncing around the idea of a bull bar/light bar or the full steel/aluminum winch mount that a few other companies offer. However, I am hesitant to throw a 100+ lb block on the front of my truck. I like your winch mount design, keeps it looking stock while seperates it from other tacomas. Looking under my truck at the 'iffy' recovery points scares me. It might be too much to ask for, but if you can keep the weight down while increasing front bumper ridgidity, that would deffinatly be a plus. Additionally, adding a high lift jack attachment point would also benifit the end user. Im sure you want to remain competetive in the market for front ends so I have a ballpark figure on pricing, however, Ill remain open and wait with baited wings. I look forward to seeing what this could look like mounted on the Taco's front end. Best of luck to you.

-J
Same here! Would love to see this!
Old 08-29-2012, 12:39 AM   #27
ShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud of
Law Enforcement:
Name: Shawn
ShawnR's Tacoma Gallery
just found this. I'm interested too...
Old 08-29-2012, 06:09 AM   #28
mistaare is on a distinguished road
mistaare's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGloryFades View Post
I would be interested purely for the extra strength and D rings
x2
Old 08-29-2012, 08:29 AM   #30
TEXAN
usoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedusoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedusoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedusoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedusoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedusoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedusoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedusoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedusoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedusoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedusoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
usoffroad's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to usoffroad
Ok. I'm going to get this on my radar. Will probably try to schedule some time in the next few weeks with some local guys to take a closer look, get a few rough measurements and go from there.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:42 AM   #32
Punkindrublic is a glorious beacon of lightPunkindrublic is a glorious beacon of lightPunkindrublic is a glorious beacon of lightPunkindrublic is a glorious beacon of lightPunkindrublic is a glorious beacon of lightPunkindrublic is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Ryan
Punkindrublic's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd, this is really interesting and I like where this is going. Not sure how the winch would fit in the mount, but would it fit with a Satoshi style grill and also lights behind the grill? Just something to think about. Can't wait to see where this goes!
Old 08-29-2012, 09:02 AM   #33
Taco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Taco Guy11's Tacoma Gallery
I like the thought of this i would consider getting one. the fj one is awsome looking
Old 08-29-2012, 09:46 AM   #35
TEXAN
usoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedusoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedusoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedusoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedusoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedusoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedusoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedusoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedusoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedusoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedusoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunt man hans View Post
does this mount have frame straps to evenly distribute the load?

either way could you post some pictures of how and where the mounting points are.
Since this hasn't been built yet then no, it does not have straps. (might want to read the first post)

Our FJ mount does have straps and I would assume at this time that a Tacoma mount would too, especially since it has fewer mounting studs on the frame.

It would certainly need them in my opinion.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:17 AM   #37
MadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nick
MadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Heck, I'd just like to know how in the world you would get to the clutch lever on a winch.
It's fairly easy to reach the clutch lever once the hood is open - unless you're very short.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:50 AM   #38
TEXAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadToy View Post
It's fairly easy to reach the clutch lever once the hood is open - unless you're very short.
Understood. But.. just something else to monkey with when you are already obviously in a less than preferred situation. I've seen rigs with their nose in the air in a very precarious position, maybe even on a tipping point and climbing up on said rig and opening the hood may not be the best idea at that time.

Obviously that's the minority situation but still, even if you are just simply stuck in a mud hole it's just one less thing to mess with.

When things aren't working out like you want it's always best to apply the KISS principle but in this case I have to apply it before you guys ever receive a mount.... if possible.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:07 PM   #39
MudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tim
MudFlap's Tacoma Gallery
Love the idea behind this, count another one interested in finding out more. Keep us updated on your progress!
Old 08-30-2012, 12:57 PM   #40
MadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nick
MadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Understood. But.. just something else to monkey with when you are already obviously in a less than preferred situation. I've seen rigs with their nose in the air in a very precarious position, maybe even on a tipping point and climbing up on said rig and opening the hood may not be the best idea at that time.

Obviously that's the minority situation but still, even if you are just simply stuck in a mud hole it's just one less thing to mess with.

When things aren't working out like you want it's always best to apply the KISS principle but in this case I have to apply it before you guys ever receive a mount.... if possible.
Oh absolutely correct. Heck, I've already used it in one of those hairy situations, and it was interesting to say the least. It would be preferable to be able to get to it without opening the hood - and use a remote solenoid controller. The Tacoma would be tough to be able to create a way to get to the clutch, unless you make something that completely replaces the middle portion of the plastic fascia - which would be real nice. You can see in my pic that I would have to really do some cutting to be able to get to the clutch from the front.