Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Bumper integrated winch mount - product dev questions

Old 11-09-2013, 06:22 AM   #121
Atomic47 is on a distinguished road

Name: Denis
Atomic47's Tacoma Gallery
Glad that you're feeling better! Looking forward to watching your progress on this cool idea.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:31 AM   #122
Yaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Yaozer's Tacoma Gallery
Nice. Subbed w interest for my 11.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:52 AM   #123
McElroy is just really niceMcElroy is just really niceMcElroy is just really niceMcElroy is just really niceMcElroy is just really nice
Navy: Recon Corpsman
Name: Matt
McElroy's Tacoma Gallery
I'll take one for my13
Old 11-09-2013, 04:36 PM   #125
TEXAN
usoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedusoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedusoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedusoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedusoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedusoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedusoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedusoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedusoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedusoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedusoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
usoffroad's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to usoffroad
I'm going to give it a few more days for a 12+ owner to volunteer after that I'll move on to the 05-11 models. Those of you who are local and volunteered here or via PM please check your calendars to see if your truck would be available the week before turkey day... just in case.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:01 PM   #126
Taco Chris is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
Taco Chris's Tacoma Gallery
I'd be interested in one when you finish the development phase.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:23 PM   #127
...and we're back!
Benson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
Benson X's Tacoma Gallery
Just stumbled on this thread, thought I would share my experience.

I built a hidden winch mount w/ my uncle in-law a while back using the OEM bumper. This might help with the R&D, and design ideas. You will likely need to notch the pass. side for the A/C lines. I also had to trim the upper brace that sits in the middle of the grille, above the winch.

Hope this helps, and feel free to PM me with any questions. Hope you have a speedy recovery back to health! :thumbsups

- Benson X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson X View Post
This isn't a "How-To" or "Install Guide", just some pics of the sliders and hidden winch mount we fab'd up for my truck.

HIDDEN WINCH MOUNT

For the hidden winch mount, we reinforced the stock aluminum bumper with 1/4" 6061 T6 aluminum, fully plated, gusseted, reinforced, and TIG/MIG welded.

Sanded, primed, and painted it flat-black.

I was a little apprehensive about using aluminum at first, but it is strong and stout as hell! Plus with the synthetic line, I saved about 60-70lbs. up front. Say what you want, but this mount will hold-up to anything I plan on winching with it.

I wired up the control box in front of the radiator. I had to use a different mounting bracket than what came with the winch, and I had just enough wire to reach the battery. Really clean install, out of the way, clears the radiator, and the control still has room to plug in. The clutch and everything is easily accessible without removing the grille.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:58 PM   #128
weazel is on a distinguished road

weazel's Tacoma Gallery
With my setup I do not have to drop the whole bumper setup the lower black valance has been trimmed and the slots made for the d-rings to slide down. That is a nice piece of work and good luck with the sale.

Bumper integrated winch mount - product dev questions-002.jpg

My control box hot wire to a switch so it cannot be used without turning on the switch

Bumper integrated winch mount - product dev questions-015.jpg

just giving you some ideas
Old 11-12-2013, 07:16 PM   #129
motionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Drew
motionridr8's Tacoma Gallery
in for one for my 2012!
Old 11-13-2013, 03:53 AM   #130
Stay lifted my friends !
Wattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Uncle K
Wattapunk's Tacoma Gallery
I will sub just for casual interest and a cool design idea but my main issue would be lack of front end protection because I still have the flimsy factory bumper.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:23 PM   #131
TEXAN
usoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedusoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedusoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedusoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedusoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedusoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedusoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedusoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedusoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedusoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedusoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ok.. so no 12+ volunteers for the 19th.

I have a few PM volunteers but I'll post here too.

05-11 local owners, who can make their truck available for the 19-20th and possibly the 21st.. just to be safe?

My goal here is to eliminate the center section of the bumper cover just as the FJ but since I'm not a Taco owner I can't say for sure just how well that will work. The posts above by Benson and weazel are very helpful and greatly appreciated.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:48 PM   #132
TEXAN

Ok 300rem7 has kindly volunteered and committed to be the guinea pig for this project so the 05-11 version is first up! We are meeting at the machine shop next Wednesday and hope to have a prototype by the weekend.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:25 PM   #133
BlindingWhiteTac. is just really niceBlindingWhiteTac. is just really niceBlindingWhiteTac. is just really niceBlindingWhiteTac. is just really niceBlindingWhiteTac. is just really nice
Name: Thomas
BlindingWhiteTac.'s Tacoma Gallery
GorillaTec from Wheeler's:

http://wheelersoffroad.com/product/b...r-2005-tacoma/
Old 11-14-2013, 06:34 PM   #134
The forgetful dumbass
Gaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
Gaunt596's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by usoffroad View Post
Ok.. so no 12+ volunteers for the 19th.

I have a few PM volunteers but I'll post here too.

05-11 local owners, who can make their truck available for the 19-20th and possibly the 21st.. just to be safe?

My goal here is to eliminate the center section of the bumper cover just as the FJ but since I'm not a Taco owner I can't say for sure just how well that will work. The posts above by Benson and weazel are very helpful and greatly appreciated.
yep, like was said above you can either delete the whole lower middle bumper cover or you can cut out a slot in the lower valence mesh, either way looks good IMO, i would be interested if you can make on that isnt terribly heavy or expensive
Old 11-14-2013, 07:00 PM   #136
TEXAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindingWhiteTac. View Post
Glad you found that. Exactly how I would build it in general. No sense in creating another then is there? Price is probably about right too.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:12 PM   #137
...and we're back!
Benson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
Benson X's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Glad you found that. Exactly how I would build it in general. No sense in creating another then is there? Price is probably about right too.
I wouldn't shelve your design man, even if the price is the same. There're plenty of Tacos to go around

Plus, look at bumpers, skids, and sliders. there are 10+ fab'ers making almost the same shit with their own unique twists and they all make it work.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:02 PM   #138
flsupraguy is on a distinguished road
flsupraguy's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2013 and would be interested.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:15 PM   #139
The forgetful dumbass
Gaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
Gaunt596's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ah he'll no. This just shows what's been done already. Can you do aluminum? If you can then do aluminum, no one had made this type of mount in aluminum yet
Old 11-15-2013, 04:28 AM   #140
TEXAN

Been eating on me all night, something wasn't right.

So, I go to gorillatec's site and look at Wheeler's site and product listing. Hmm.. there's one for the FJ too. Gee, design looks familiar and some of the verbiage too.

http://www.gorillatec.com/index.php/...ch-bumper.html

Ok, one thing you guys don't know about me, part of what I've done for a living is find people and connect various pieces of information together. Keep that in mind, not that you have to be a rocket scientist to figure this out.

Since my spidey senses were tingling I did a little research.

GorillaTec, LLC is in Reno, NV. Even though they don't list an address their phone numbers confirm this.

http://www.gorillatec.com/index.php/contact

I check my sales records, one order to a Josh Davis in Reno Nevada in October 2012.

Guess who's a member of said GorillaTec LLC? You guessed it, the very same Mr. Davis.

http://www.corporationwiki.com/p/2bwcuh/josh-davis

http://nvsos.gov/sosentitysearch/Cor...53d%253d&nt7=0

Now, I'm not going to publish the personal details and what not that back this up as I don't share customer info and typically wouldn't even confirm a name, but all of this is public info at one level or another.

Oh...GorillaTec LLC was formed less than 60 days after I shipped this to him.

But if you are going to rip off my design and market it as your own then guess what, it only serves to motivate me. Was it illegal? No, absolutely not. Some say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery but gee, at least say you based it on my design... just as I stated when I started off with my used Lucrum mount 2 years ago. Lucrum was no longer in business then and I wanted a mount for my FJ but didn't like several things about their design to I designed my own.

No, patents won't fly here, already checked, too many similar products out there now and prior, plus it's cost prohibitive.

Yeah, I'm gonna make a Tacoma mount, count on it but I'll do it on my own and not by copying his mount that was copied from my FJ design....or would that simply be a circle of life?