Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Bumper integrated winch mount - product dev questions

Old 08-25-2012, 03:56 PM   #1
TEXAN
usoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedusoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedusoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedusoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedusoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedusoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedusoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedusoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedusoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedusoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedusoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
usoffroad's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to usoffroad
Bumper integrated winch mount - product dev questions

First off, I searched the forums top to bottom and didn't find any rules regarding product development so if this somehow breaks any rules let me know and I'll deal with it accordingly.

I'm a consistent poster over on the FJ Cruiser Forum ('American') and own Texas FJ Forums as well.

US Off Road builds a winch mount for the OEM bumper and I've had a few emails asking if we would build one for the 05+ Tacomas.

The short answer is yes. However, I'm looking for two things right now.

1. Interest. Is there really a large enough demand for it?

2. Model/year changes. Any significant changes between 05 and 12 that would apply to an integrated winch mount? Obviously I'd need a few people in the DFW area that would like to provide a Tacoma for fitment/development and receive a mount in return for free.

Would a mount that keeps the center plastic be preferred or something that would replace the center piece similar to the FJ mount pictured below?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:11 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to T W! No significant changes have been made to the second gen Tacoma.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:14 PM   #3
Christ Follower
RadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Daniel
RadRed06's Tacoma Gallery
I would be interested depending on the price, and I would like to keep my lower valence
Old 08-25-2012, 05:34 PM   #4
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
UHWMS makes one & it looks pretty tough, they have bids on their website. That FJ one looks pretty beefy though.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:55 PM   #5
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think I'd be interested but I'd bet there are plenty who will be. The bumper design seems to lend itself nicely to this application with the lower valence having an opening already there. I'm subbed for interest.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:27 PM   #6
Alexfiggy is on a distinguished road
Marines: Corporal MALS 39 ord 3 maw
Name: Alex
Alexfiggy's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in!
Old 08-25-2012, 07:38 PM   #7
Fish
ABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
ABregenzer's Tacoma Gallery
This looks interesting.

Also, I could be interested in letting ya'll use my truck in exchange for a free mount
Old 08-25-2012, 09:42 PM   #8
The Dark Passenger
Cornbread is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Name: Jay
Cornbread's Tacoma Gallery
I'd like to have a winch and be able to keep the stock appearance of my front bumper. I'm interested.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:06 PM   #9
The Dark Passenger
Cornbread is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Name: Jay
Cornbread's Tacoma Gallery
I did check out http://undercoverhwms.com/wp/applications/2005-tacoma/ but their product doesn't allow me to use the winch I already have. I have a Warn 9000TI that I'd like to use.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:09 PM   #10
TJ'sTOYCOMA
tmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: T-Rey
tmreyes1's Tacoma Gallery
I like that FJ mount. Definitely would like to see what you come up with. I have a 2012
Old 08-25-2012, 10:35 PM   #12
TheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Seth
TheGloryFades's Tacoma Gallery
I would be interested purely for the extra strength and D rings
Old 08-25-2012, 10:47 PM   #14
TruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TruckyTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Absolutely. I'm right here in dfw and would love to have one. I have. A 2012 off road. Please pm me if I can be any help.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:22 PM   #15
TEXAN
usoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedusoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedusoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedusoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedusoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedusoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedusoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedusoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedusoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedusoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedusoffroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Obviously the trick is the lower valance as it's not quite flat like the FJ which makes it a little easier to build. There is more than one way to skin a cat though...

One thing about our mount is it's strength. I started with a used Lucrum as template then pretty much scrapped the design and started over because I felt there were many design faults related to overall strength.

The winch tub is full height in the front, .250" thick in addition to the .125" that is used to form the 'valance' for a total of .375", the Lucrum's winch tub was only 3/4" tall up front and the shackle mounts were literally welded to the front of the .125". Our shackle mounts slide in to a hole cut through the front (.375") and penetration welded front and rear. We also gusseted the lower valance so it can literally be used as a skid plate...which I have done many times without it giving way at all. We also expanded the winch tub laterally so there is space to mount your solenoid at either end if you wish.

And yet it's still only 57lbs, I think the Tacoma version would weigh less.

It's a tough piece for sure.

Having said that, one thing I won't negotiate on is overall strength, if it can't be built staying within certain design parameters then I simply won't build it.

I've had a couple of you that are local PM me some information, if you own a 2005-2012 please do the same and we may have a quick tech session to take a closer look at this.

Keep the feedback coming.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:26 PM   #16
TheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Seth
TheGloryFades's Tacoma Gallery
Any guess on price
Old 08-25-2012, 11:27 PM   #17
TJ'sTOYCOMA
tmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornbread View Post
I did check out http://undercoverhwms.com/wp/applications/2005-tacoma/ but their product doesn't allow me to use the winch I already have. I have a Warn 9000TI that I'd like to use.
Do you think it will be cheaper than this one. I like the 2012 front end too much to replace it with a plate bumper
Old 08-25-2012, 11:37 PM   #18
TEXAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGloryFades View Post
Any guess on price
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmreyes1 View Post
Do you think it will be cheaper than this one. I like the 2012 front end too much to replace it with a plate bumper
Impossible to say, right now I don't even know for sure how I would build it much less what the cost would be. One step at a time.

Obviously there is a glass ceiling when it comes to price. It can't cost anywhere close to what a replacement bumper costs but I can tell you right now that there are some things I would certainly do differently regarding the product above...and I'll leave it at that for now.

Heck, I'd just like to know how in the world you would get to the clutch lever on a winch. I carry the Viper line of winches and they are wireless in addition to wired controls so that makes things easy regarding the solenoid box...not that mounting it remotely is a problem, but you still need to get to physical part of the winch from time to time.

Also, because of space restraints it looks like synthetic line, because of the fairlead, would be a necessity as well.

Again, simply initial observations that may change as this progresses.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:45 PM   #19
TJ'sTOYCOMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by usoffroad View Post
Impossible to say, right now I don't even know for sure how I would build it much less what the cost would be. One step at a time.

Obviously there is a glass ceiling when it comes to price. It can't cost anywhere close to what a replacement bumper costs but I can tell you right now that there are some things I would certainly do differently regarding the product above...and I'll leave it at that for now.

Heck, I'd just like to know how in the world you would get to the clutch lever on a winch. I carry the Viper line of winches and they are wireless in addition to wired controls so that makes things easy regarding the solenoid box...not that mounting it remotely is a problem, but you still need to get to physical part of the winch from time to time.

Also, because of space restraints it looks like synthetic line, because of the fairlead, would be a necessity as well.

Again, simply initial observations that may change as this progresses.
Well I think you have come to the right place to get your fabrication down. I'm gonna be at the TOTH next week with a buddy and he has a 2007 TRD FJ.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:51 PM   #20
TEXAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmreyes1 View Post
Well I think you have come to the right place to get your fabrication down. I'm gonna be at the TOTH next week with a buddy and he has a 2007 TRD FJ.
I wish I could go to TOTH myself but since I had a total brain fart several years ago and got married on the 28th I can't make it happen. I mean, who in their right mind gets married on a date that interferes with the opening weekend of dove season? (She's worth it but...doh )