1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Light Switch for 2010OR Under AC Controls

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Shaggy, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Aug 25, 2012 at 4:07 PM
    Shaggy

Shaggy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Woodbridge, VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Pyrite Mica DC TRD Off Road
    I just spent the last hour or two reading thread after thread trying to find out if there are any factory style switches that can be installed between the power outlets (under AC). I have no empty slots to the left of the steering wheel available or this would be a no brainer.

I know from having the heated mirror mod done that there is a depth issue with the Highlander heated mirror switch that was installed. I plan to move the Highlander switch to the left of my steering wheel replacing the existing fog light switch. I will need to get a different switch that will work in the area under the AC controls for the fog lights and I am adding a light bar in my grill and will need a second switch for that.

I have seen plenty of alternative locations that required lots of extra work. I am not opposed to having to trim a little but would like a switch that is black and looks similar to this one:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/buy-sell-trade/236082-sale-toyota-fog-light-switch.html

I am also not adverse to the Ozinum ones that also fit into the Scions:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/15476-oem-style-switch.html

I also found this one (which I think is the same as the ones above:
    http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=4975

But I just don't know if the three above will fit without major issues.

Has anyone successfully put a decent looking light switch in the area I am asking about? If so can you help me - even if it is the measurements including accessible depth behind the panel for wire clearance I would appreciate it.

2. Aug 25, 2012 at 9:20 PM
    Alloutdrs1

Alloutdrs1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    12' Mag gray Doublecab 4x4
    Distinct Offroad light bar, Rigid E-series and amber duallys, Leer 100xq, Oem roof rack, Oem bed mat, Bullculla trailer plug relocate bracket, Rear diff vent mod, front mud flap chop, Color matched Grille w/Andres devil horns, Wet okoles and weathertechs
  3. Aug 25, 2012 at 9:24 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    That switch is crap.
    That's the same switch that came with my eBay fogs and I couldn't get the plug to go in. The pins looked straight and looked like they lined up, but it wouldn't go in.

And you can definitely do better than that $55 "bend you over without Vaseline" price.

I paid $69 for two Tacoma fog light housings, relay harness, and that switch and harness.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. Aug 26, 2012 at 4:42 AM
    MBTacoma12

MBTacoma12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    12 Prerunner DC
    I used this switch for my eBay fog lights and mounted under the AC controls, works great.

5. Aug 26, 2012 at 12:05 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Ya, but at $55, it's a complete rip when it is included with a set of housings, harness, and relay for $70.

6. Aug 26, 2012 at 12:11 PM
    Alloutdrs1

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    Distinct Offroad light bar, Rigid E-series and amber duallys, Leer 100xq, Oem roof rack, Oem bed mat, Bullculla trailer plug relocate bracket, Rear diff vent mod, front mud flap chop, Color matched Grille w/Andres devil horns, Wet okoles and weathertechs
    I agree its expensive, but what other switch will fits that area?

7. Aug 26, 2012 at 12:31 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Buy the eBay kit and sell the housings?

The high price isn't the switch... it's Tundrapart.com that's the ripoff.
    They don't make the switch, it's imported, and likely available elsewhere for $20. It's just a matter of finding it.

8. Aug 29, 2012 at 4:13 PM
    Shaggy

Member:
    Woodbridge, VA
    Vehicle:
    I have both the blank and the auxport that I removed a while back and here are their dimensions (close approximations):

blank (outside dimension) 1 1/4" tall tall x 7/8" wide

The aux port is about 2 1/8" deep so as long as you get a normal switch that is not crazy deep and the outside dimensions of the stop for the new switch are slightly bigger than the outside dimensions I think you will be ok. The parts I have do not overlap or have a lip the opening like the tundra switch does. The outside dimension is also the same size as the opening for the switch.

The reason why depth is an important measurement is there is duct work behind that area and if the switch will not sit flush if it is too deep.

I hope this helps. If anyone has the Tundra switch and can give me the dimensions it will save me a ton of time. I am also going to search and if I find the dimensions I will post them here.

[​IMG]

9. Aug 29, 2012 at 4:34 PM
    Shaggy

Member:
    Woodbridge, VA
    Vehicle:
    I have noticed that some manufacturers list dimensions in mm as well as in decimal. This is for the existing parts I mentioned above

about 32mm tall by 21mm wide by 54 deep

or

1.250 tall by .875 wide by 2.125 deep

10. Aug 29, 2012 at 4:44 PM
    bjasper

bjasper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Carmel, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD PreRunner
    Dad's truck, minor mods.. Saving for my own :)
    This is a good thread, but you could just make a switch panel like am. Im am going to be able to fit up to 10 SPST switches.

11. Aug 29, 2012 at 6:11 PM
    CADGod 4x4

CADGod 4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2010 Db LB TRD 4x4
  12. Aug 29, 2012 at 6:15 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Not under the AC controls.
    Those will fit the space on the left.

The 2nd one, I don't know why these sites list it for Tacoma. It is not.
    It is a Scion switch, and it's actually identical to a switch you can get from Autozone without the graphic.
    It won't plug into any Toyota harness, and it doesn't match the stock Tacoma switches.

The first one is the one you want if you are putting fogs into a pre-wired SR5 or are doing it yourself and want it to look factory with the switch on the left of the wheel.

13. Aug 29, 2012 at 6:16 PM
    CADGod 4x4

CADGod 4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2010 Db LB TRD 4x4
    Thanks!

14. Aug 29, 2012 at 8:31 PM
    Shaggy

Member:
    Woodbridge, VA
    Vehicle:
    The second switch in the links above does not match the stock switch in looks but the size listed seems to be just about perfect.

I have sent the following email to trdparts4u for answers. I have ordered a bunch of stuff from them and they have always been very helpful so we will see...

I know the switches look a little different than stock but they are closest to stock that I think we will be able to get without a lot of trimming. I want the one without the illumination for my the replacement fog light switch - esp since it is always on anyway. Although not that I think about it that switch being always on will give me a small nightlight that will shine down on the cup holders and small storage area....hmmmm.

15. Aug 29, 2012 at 8:34 PM
    Shaggy

Member:
    Woodbridge, VA
    Vehicle:
    did you find an actual size for this switch? I could not find one (but I also did not kill myself looking)

16. Aug 29, 2012 at 8:39 PM
    Alloutdrs1

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    Let us know what they say on those switches, if that switch fits it looks like the perfect solution and its pretty cheap.

17. Aug 29, 2012 at 8:57 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    A lot of guys have been installing that one in the higher positions.

It very well might be that it will fit, given the image you posted of the "regular" switch in the lower position.

The switch with the green plug on the harness....

Button:
    13/16" wide
    1-3/16 high
    "Off" depth 9/16 from face to front of mounting surface (back of flange)
    "On" depth 7/16 from face to front of mounting surface (back of flange)

Body:
    11/16 wide
    1-1/16 high

Here's the kicker....
    Depth behind the flange (from the face of the truck's hole) to the back of the switch is 1-5/8"... PLUS the length of the connector.
    The PC board goes all the way back, it can't be trimmed, so you're going to need 2" or more behind the panel... not the face of the panel, but from the back of the mounting area, which is almost 1/2" behind the finished surface.

18. Aug 29, 2012 at 9:20 PM
    Shaggy

Member:
    Woodbridge, VA
    Vehicle:
    The switch in the image is a 2003 Highlander mirror defrost switch. I have no clue the dimensions of that. The numbers I posted are the dimensions of the switch blank I took out. The depth measurement I listed is from the Aux port I also removed since I remove all of the stock radio stuff and went aftermarket. I think the blank was in the spot of the defrost switch and the aux port was next to the atrac button.

The stock blank is closer to 1 5/16 then 1 3/16 and the width is 3/4" almost dead on. So the tundra switch is actually a tad smaller if your numbers are correct. Depending on the answers I get about the other switches I may have to go with this and see.

Thank you for your input!

19. Aug 29, 2012 at 9:30 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Looks like it'll work if you have over 2" of depth.

I just hope you guys can find a more reasonable source.
    At $55 for the switch, may as well buy a set of eBay fog lights for $70 and sell the housings.

20. Aug 29, 2012 at 9:32 PM
    Alloutdrs1

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:

Products Discussed in

To Top