1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lights Behind Grillcraft-- Final Product!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by headhunter247, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Jan 15, 2009 at 10:45 AM
    sweater914

sweater914 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    '09 I4 5spd Access Cab Timberland Mica SR5
    When you mounted the lights did find an existing location or did you run a bar across two points to create a suitable mounting point?

2. Jan 15, 2009 at 12:07 PM
    spearhead

spearhead Taco Supremist

Member:
    Winston Salem NC
    Vehicle:
    09 4DR Mag Grey 4WD Sport
    TRD CAI Eibach Springs 5100s all around Front set to .85 Toytec AAL
    nah- just get some mending plates(they are pre-drilled) and bond them to the top ridge of the grill, and along with some lateral support you can get a very sturdy platform, and the Hella 500s I used really were not as heavy as I assumed they would be

there are threads that have pics

3. Feb 2, 2009 at 7:46 AM
    headhunter247

headhunter247 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    St. Louis, MO area
    Vehicle:
    18 Taco Double Cab TRD
    5100's all around, OME 888 and Dakars. ProComp Series 05. Cooper SST Maxx 275s.
    They mount right into the grill shroud, after you cut the center part out. You MUST reinforce with an aluminum bar, other wise the lights will bounce severly. I got the bar from Lowes and now they are very solid. I mounted the bar between the lights and the grill, then on the top cut 4" pieces (like a glorified washer) and they are super sturdy now.

I mounted the lights hanging from the top, as to not have to worry about being able to aim them. I saw that some have had issues when mounting from the bottom due to angles with the grill.

I got instructions on how to wire the lights from TW..there is a thread. Basically you ground twice, once right after the lights, and then from the relay. Run power direct to battery, then use a mini fuse tap to the fuse box then to the switch.

Let me know if you have any further questions, I was a little leary at first doing all of this, but it works great now.

Products Discussed in

To Top