Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Help with 4wd to 2wd

Old 08-26-2012, 03:19 PM   #1
GreenMountainBoy is on a distinguished road

Name: Gary
GreenMountainBoy's Tacoma Gallery
Help with 4wd to 2wd

Ive had my new 2012 Tacoma for a while now and have just tried out the 4wd to make sure everything works. Seems like when I go from H2 TO H4 everything works fine but when I go to L4 I have a hard time getting it out of L4 back into H2. At one point it felt like my ebrake was on. So here I am just about stuck in the road with traffic coming buzzer sounding, lights blinking and trac light on and it won't come out of 4 low. It's my first 4wd what am I doing wrong? How come there isn't a smooth transition from low 4 back to H2?
Old 08-26-2012, 03:29 PM   #3

Yes pavement is where I tested.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
Say no to Bro
kirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clayton
kirkofwimbo's Tacoma Gallery
If your truck is beeping your not in 4 low
Old 08-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #5
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMountainBoy View Post
I'm just here to watch.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:33 PM   #6
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Do not run 4H or 4L on pavement.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:33 PM   #7
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Shut the truck off, turn the switch to 2H restart and back up.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:35 PM   #8
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Quote:
Ive had my new 2012 Tacoma for a while now and have just tried out the 4wd to make sure everything works. Seems like when I go from H2 TO H4 everything works fine but when I go to L4 I have a hard time getting it out of L4 back into H2. At one point it felt like my ebrake was on. So here I am just about stuck in the road with traffic coming buzzer sounding, lights blinking and trac light on and it won't come out of 4 low. It's my first 4wd what am I doing wrong? How come there isn't a smooth transition from low 4 back to H2?
are you at a complete stop or under 5mph before you turn the dial from 4L into H2?
Old 08-26-2012, 03:35 PM   #9

Could have been my seat belt alarm. Not sure it was on. Whats up with the feeling like my ebrake is on when it isn't?
Old 08-26-2012, 03:35 PM   #10
Enzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to behold

Name: Opie
Enzo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Testing on a straight stretch of pavement is ok but I wouldn't do it too much. Please don't cruise around in 4wd on pavement though.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:36 PM   #11
mynameistory has a spectacular aura aboutmynameistory has a spectacular aura about
Name: Tory
mynameistory's Tacoma Gallery
Oh dear.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:36 PM   #12
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Could have been my seat belt alarm. Not sure it was on. Whats up with the feeling like my ebrake is on when it isn't?
That's 4L
Old 08-26-2012, 03:36 PM   #13
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
First off never drive with the 4wd engaged on pavement (see links below.) Anytime you make a turn things will bind up and eventually break. To get out of 4lo you need to get back into 4hi...then you can get back into 2wd. When you make the switch from 4hi back into 2wd take your foot off the gas pedal...then turn the knob. Doing that will take the load off the driveline and you won't get the "clunk" noise.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #14
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Do not run 4H or 4L on pavement.
4wd wont hurt on dry pavement unless turning sharp radius's..in my opinion anyways
Old 08-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #15
Say no to Bro
kirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clayton
kirkofwimbo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
4wd is probably binding up since your on pavement. Does the truck beep at you when you have the dial on 4H?
Old 08-26-2012, 03:38 PM   #16
505 Member
white toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gian
white toy taco's Tacoma Gallery
yea 4L is a super low gear so it wont roll when you take your foot off the brake
Old 08-26-2012, 03:39 PM   #17
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
4wd wont hurt on dry pavement unless turning sharp radius's..in my opinion anyways
But not a good habit to get into because one WILL forget.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:40 PM   #18
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Old 08-26-2012, 03:40 PM   #19
Nixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Nixinus's Tacoma Gallery
Do you feel like your ebrake is on when you are turning? That would be your trucks drivetrain binding in 4wd. DO NOT drive the truck on dry pavement in 4wd, especially if you are not going in a straight line. Please read the link below before you drive in 4wd again.

http://www.majormedia2.com/4WDSimplifiedv5/4WD.html

http://4x4abc.com/4WD101/definition_part.html

http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/axle-wind-up.html

http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/def_turnpart.html

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/four-w....htm/printable
Old 08-26-2012, 03:43 PM   #20

Thats when the ebrake feeling started when I tried to turn truck. I don't plan on driving 4wd on pavement unless the roads are snowcovered and I need it. I was just testing it and saw nothing in the manual about useing it on pavement. So what Im getting is that this is normal and test it off road.