Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

AAL to offset 200lbs of weight?

Old 08-26-2012, 08:23 PM   #1
pbcolt has a spectacular aura aboutpbcolt has a spectacular aura aboutpbcolt has a spectacular aura about

Name: Colton
pbcolt's Tacoma Gallery
AAL to offset 200lbs of weight?

Would the Wheelers (or someone elses) 3 leaf AAL offset about 200lbs of weight on the rear of my truck?

I will be getting a Pelfreybilt bed rack and a RTT in the near future and I am hoping that the Wheelers 1.5" AAL will lift 1.5", and the added weight of the RTT, rack and some camping gear will sag it 1.5" allowing me to use my stock shocks.

I DO NOT...want to spend the dinero on a 3" lift right now and just doing the rear with Dakars would give me a stupid rake.

Thoughts?
Old 08-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #2
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Even the Dakars sagged under the 250lb constant load of my commercial cap
Old 08-26-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Yes it will no problem, 200 is not that much weight, it's about the weight of a body (don't ask me how i know)
Old 08-26-2012, 08:27 PM   #4
pbcolt has a spectacular aura aboutpbcolt has a spectacular aura aboutpbcolt has a spectacular aura about

pbcolt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Even the Dakars sagged under the 250lb constant load of my commercial cap
Well crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdronin View Post
Yes it will no problem, 200 is not that much weight, it's about the weight of a body (don't ask me how i know)
Haha nice.

I just don't want to hit bump stops running over every off-road pebble, and not lift my truck so much that it looks dumb, or have issues with the rear shocks.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:28 PM   #5
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdronin View Post
My cap and rack is 450 and my 2 inch did fine until I crushed everything with 3k in gravel
Old 08-26-2012, 08:38 PM   #6
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I should clarify , my Daks have settled about 5/8" in a year with the cap and some heavy loads , but I'm never on the bumpstops , even with as much firewood as I can carry
Old 08-27-2012, 06:11 PM   #7
And now for something completely different....
Priddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Priddle's Tacoma Gallery
Consider Firestone Ride Rites airbags. I decided that over AALs and can adjust pressure based on weight, thereby always keeping the truck level.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:34 PM   #8

pbcolt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priddle View Post
Consider Firestone Ride Rites airbags. I decided that over AALs and can adjust pressure based on weight, thereby always keeping the truck level.
Those do look good, but at 290 dollars a set they are a little steep.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:38 PM   #10

pbcolt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Budget ?
I guess it's not that the air bags are way out there, but I really just want to get a functional set-up for my tent and rack combo as inexpensively as possible (without blocks)

I know in a year or two I'll get coilovers, rear dakars, shocks and UCA's, so this will just be to get me by until then.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:41 PM   #12
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I'm happy with the Icon 3-leaf AAL. I have a fiberglass shell and keep a plywood platform and my tools in the bed at all times. I'd guesstimate around 300 lbs in the bed at all times. I kept the overload in place and it seems to be doing very well so far after a year and a half. I do load it up pretty heavy for camping and Home Depot runs and it will set on the overload if I put enough weight back there.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:42 PM   #13

pbcolt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Dakars

or AAL , then Daks
Yep, that's what I'll do. Talked to wheelers today and apparently they make a HD 3 leaf aal for 10 bucks more. He agreed that with that set-up new shocks are not necessary given that the 100lb rack will always be on, and especially when I add the 120lb tent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I'm happy with the Icon 3-leaf AAL. I have a fiberglass shell and keep a plywood platform and my tools in the bed at all times. I'd guesstimate around 300 lbs in the bed at all times. I kept the overload in place and it seems to be doing very well so far after a year and a half. I do load it up pretty heavy for camping and Home Depot runs and it will set on the overload if I put enough weight back there.
That's good to know. I'll look into those too. I wouldnt mind sitting on the overloads when the girl and I climb up there, because I'll be parked. Just going down the road is where I'd like to have some travel.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:46 PM   #14
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbcolt View Post
That's good to know. I'll look into those too. I wouldnt mind sitting on the overloads when the girl and I climb up there, because I'll be parked. Just going down the road is where I'd like to have some travel.
You'll need more than that. It takes almost an additional 1,000 lbs to put the setup on the overload. I do hope you have some lift in the front though. I've got the front lifted with Eibach coils (1.6" lift) and with the cap, plywood and tools, I've got about a factory rake.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:49 PM   #15

pbcolt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
You'll need more than that. It takes almost an additional 1,000 lbs to put the setup on the overload. I do hope you have some lift in the front though. I've got the front lifted with Eibach coils (1.6" lift) and with the cap, plywood and tools, I've got about a factory rake.
negatory on the front lift...
Old 08-27-2012, 08:16 PM   #16

pbcolt's Tacoma Gallery
If I need one then maybe I should just run stock and see where I am when the dust settles?
Old 08-27-2012, 08:22 PM   #17

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Here's a thought .

I know you said it's outta your budget , but I hate doing things twice , and paying twice .

Buy the Dakars now , remove 3rd leaf , reinstall when you do your lift
Old 08-27-2012, 08:25 PM   #18

pbcolt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Here's a thought .

I know you said it's outta your budget , but I hate doing things twice , and paying twice .

Buy the Dakars now , remove 3rd leaf , reinstall when you do your lift
I hate doing things twice too. I did 3 lift versions when I had my 99 4runner. I didn't even know that was an option...
Old 08-27-2012, 08:26 PM   #19

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbcolt View Post
I hate doing things twice too. I did 3 lift versions when I had my 99 4runner. I didn't even know that was an option...
It drops the capacity , but also lowers the lift by approx 5/8" according to ARB specs