Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2012 Access Cab roof speakers

Old 08-26-2012, 08:23 PM   #1
Monkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud of
Marines:
Monkeyboy's Tacoma Gallery
2012 Access Cab roof speakers

There have been a few questions about these speakers and how difficult they might be to replace.

This weekend I dropped the headliner to install a Thule rack and a couple of NMO antenna mounts.

Here is what I learned in regards to the speakers :

This is what they look like.

Passenger side wires :

Driver side wires :

Both of them come through the black connector in the drivers A pillar :

That is probably the easiest point to cut them off and reroute them to the back - unless you pull the head unit itself.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:08 PM   #2
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Nice information. Thanks a lot for sharing!
Old 08-29-2012, 12:02 AM   #3
ShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud of
Law Enforcement:
Name: Shawn
ShawnR's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks! Havent seen a picture of those suckers since joining 2 years ago...
Old 08-29-2012, 01:08 AM   #4
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for finally getting pics of those exciters. First actual images I've seen.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:44 AM   #5
jackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to behold
Name: Jack
jackrules's Tacoma Gallery
are those what buzz / ring when the lsd kicks in?
Old 08-29-2012, 02:31 AM   #6
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrules View Post
are those what buzz / ring when the lsd kicks in?
No. They are the rear stereo speakers.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:38 AM   #7
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
I'd like to know who the genius was who came up with the idea to put those crappy things in the trucks.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:14 AM   #8
Tigmandick is on a distinguished road
Name: Richard
Tigmandick's Tacoma Gallery
They remind me of a surface transducer. They turn surfaces into speakers.

Like these.
Attached Thumbnails
2012 Access Cab roof speakers-309-148_l.jpg  
Old 08-29-2012, 04:41 PM   #9
Milowilli
Milowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Miles
Milowilli's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota getting cheap!!! No more Access Cab door speakers!! Only 05 to 08 models..later models have those tiny useless roof rear speakers!!!
Old 08-29-2012, 04:44 PM   #10
Milowilli
Milowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shedMilowilli is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Miles
Milowilli's Tacoma Gallery
Chinese Speakers in a Toyota???? Shameful!!!
Old 08-29-2012, 10:37 PM   #11
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigmandick View Post
They remind me of a surface transducer. They turn surfaces into speakers.

Like these.
That's exactly what they are. They use the headliner itself as a speaker emission surface.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:51 AM   #12
Tigmandick is on a distinguished road
Name: Richard
Tigmandick's Tacoma Gallery
I had just never seen them in used in production autos. In my past experience there not tremendously loud but the sound quality depends on The surface.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:25 AM   #13
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigmandick View Post
I had just never seen them in used in production autos. In my past experience there not tremendously loud but the sound quality depends on The surface.
I think they sound like crap
Old 08-30-2012, 01:47 PM   #14
Mr. Pick is on a distinguished road

Mr. Pick's Tacoma Gallery
Talk radio sounds just fine through them.... (yes, I'm old....)
Old 08-31-2012, 10:55 AM   #15
Banned
shemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to behold
shemp's Tacoma Gallery
How many speakers do you really need in a space that size?
If you don't like them, you could always turn them off, or just unplug that black plug.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:39 PM   #16
Monkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud of
Marines:
Monkeyboy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
How many speakers do you really need in a space that size?
If you don't like them, you could always turn them off, or just unplug that black plug.
It'd be nice to have some speakers in the back door. The ones in the roof are barely adequate - although I think they might work OK as external speakers for my HAM radios.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:47 PM   #17
Wiskid1
wiskid1 is on a distinguished road

Navy: USS Mt. Hood AE-29
Name: Robert
wiskid1's Tacoma Gallery
Great Info...Today, I am in the middle of having an AMP installed with CTX65cs image dynamic component set with stock HU in my 4 X4 Sport. Beyond installing the speakers is beyond what I feel like getting into. Anyway, my guy calls me and says there are no rear speakers. I said, when I fade rear, I heard something faint...there is something somewhere back there. I get home...search this forum and find this thread. So I call my guy back and he found them doing a rear fade...we are going to wire them to the AMP, use them until they quit, then unplug them and reroute the wires to the doors and add some speakers.
Great post as I am sure many feel the same.
Thanks
wiskid1
Old 10-07-2012, 09:30 AM   #18
Spiral out...
TOOLguy420 is on a distinguished road

Name: Mark
TOOLguy420's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the pics, MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeesnob View Post
I think they sound like crap
Yeah, maybe on their BEST day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyboy View Post
It'd be nice to have some speakers in the back door. The ones in the roof are barely adequate - although I think they might work OK as external speakers for my HAM radios.
...or for nav audio or bluetooth calls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiskid1 View Post
Great Info...Today, I am in the middle of having an AMP installed with CTX65cs image dynamic component set with stock HU in my 4 X4 Sport. Beyond installing the speakers is beyond what I feel like getting into. Anyway, my guy calls me and says there are no rear speakers. I said, when I fade rear, I heard something faint...there is something somewhere back there. I get home...search this forum and find this thread. So I call my guy back and he found them doing a rear fade...we are going to wire them to the AMP, use them until they quit, then unplug them and reroute the wires to the doors and add some speakers.
Thanks
wiskid1
Don't drive too far from the shop before you turn them up....just trying to save you some road time.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:39 AM   #19
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiskid1 View Post
Thanks
wiskid1
Let me know how you like your CTX65's. Im thinking about going with the 6x9s but not sure yet.. Also what type of amp are you using?
Thanks!
Old 02-06-2013, 04:57 PM   #20
DannyD is on a distinguished road
Name: Dan
DannyD's Tacoma Gallery
Damn I love tacomaworld lol.

I tried forcing my dealership to replace these speakers. Took some clever arguing on my part and complaint to toyota canada to get the service manager sitting in my truck to admit there garbage. Basically these trucks only work when faded all the way forward. Once you put these shitty little speakers on the whole thing turns to crap on med-high volume.

Even with him admitting there crap, and all the other access cabs being crap, all he can do is order the same parts and install them.

Ive convinced him to install new speakers for me if I can find something compatible, and pay for the parts myself. Not bad considering there in the headliner, pain to get to. But all he could give me was the parts breakdown. This thread brings me one step closer though. At the end of the day I might say screw it and just wait untill I go all out with a really good quality stereo front to back

Im wondering how much room is up there. And If I could mount a shallow 5 inch speaker or something.