1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Knocking coming from front suspension post lift

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by NeTacoma, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Aug 27, 2012 at 10:00 AM
    NeTacoma

NeTacoma [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Ma
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR DCLB
    Stock
    So here it is,
    05 tacoma installed OME kit w/ spacers from TOYTEC and when I went to get it aligned I was told that I needed the intermediary shaft replaced, before they could align it. Dealership fixed intermediary shaft and then i got a pretty half assed alignment but now I have a knocking noise coming from the front driver side whenever I hit a good bump with just the front driver side tire. I am doing the uca's this week to resolve alignment issues and I am kinda hoping that this may solve my "knocking issues". Anyone else have similar issues? Suggestions? Should I just shut up and deal with it? Help?

2. Aug 27, 2012 at 10:03 AM
    Toy Yoda

Toy Yoda gotta make sure Youtube comes down to tape this

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB
    OME, ARB, Warn, Snugtop XV
    how big are the toytec spacers?

3. Aug 28, 2012 at 8:19 PM
    NeTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Ma
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR DCLB
    Stock
    They are the top plate spacers, they're about a half inch thick

4. Aug 28, 2012 at 9:40 PM
    Maticuno

Maticuno Resident Pine Swine

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Suburban 2500
    JBA Shorty Headers, Flowmaster FlowFX Sing/Dual Exhaust
    Did you get the sway bar relocation kit as well?

5. Aug 28, 2012 at 9:50 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    What's an "intermediary shaft" ? It just sounds funny, like, erhmygod.Still, what is it? And the knocking, it could be loose nuts n bolts from either what you did, or what the techs did. Jack the front end up, and grab your socket set and torque wrench. Make sure every nut and bolt is at the proper torque spec. And when you do the UCA's, lube your LCA cam bolts with some grease or anti sieze before you go get it aligned again. Let us know if this works. And again, what's the "intermediary shaft"?

6. Aug 28, 2012 at 10:16 PM
    Rover

Rover Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rover
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    TRD off road pkg
    Hood shocks; 2in lift all round with 5100 Bilstein adjustables front and rear old man EMU leafs; front aggressive bumper w/ 8K lb smitty winch
    Your 05 Taco, same as mine, can take up to 2.5in of lift before changing anything stock. The "intermediary shaft" is also known as "half shaft" connects drive line power from differential to spindals. As for your knock, go with what Texoma said and check all your bolts as well as shake, move, twist all shafts and connections both while vehicles rests on ground and off ground to see if they are loose. Chances are Texoma is right again you or a tech left something loose. And I really question why the shaft needed replaceing. As for your UCAs, don't change anything else till you change the knock or you may be knocking doors asking for a ride after something falls out.

7. Aug 28, 2012 at 10:28 PM
    NelsonTacoma

NelsonTacoma This is my derpawayinator!!!!!

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Sport 03 4Runner Limited 4wd
    Bilstein 5100's , 6000k HID Hi/Low Kit, Magnaflow Muffler, 1.5 inch AP Wheel Spacers, Mudflap Delete
    If you didn't have a knocking noise before I would assume it's from the part they replaced. I'm guessing when you say intermediary shaft you mean intermediate shaft (which connects the steering column to the steering rack) and it can make a knocking noise if not lubed properly or tightened properly. Just throwing another idea out there for ya.

8. Aug 28, 2012 at 10:33 PM
    mountainprimat2

mountainprimat2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stefan
    Proctorsville, VT
    Vehicle:
    09 DC TRD Off-Road 6spd man
    Eibach Pro 2.5 CoilOvers(Front), Icon RXT 2.5 (Rears), Toytec Bumps, ICON RXT Multi-Rate Leaf Spring, Icon UCAs, Toytec Carrier Bearing drop, Toytec Front Diff drop, 33inch BFG KO2s on 17'' American Racing Wheels, TRD Cat-Back Exhaust, TRD CAI, Grillcraft Grilles(U/L), MOT's Badge Grille Mod (Red), Black Bed Lined Rear Bumper, Bushwacker Pocket Style Fender Flares, OEM Roof Rack, Husky Floor Liners, TRD 6spd Shifter Knob, Cobra CB w/ Firestick II, Interior LED Map(RED)/Dome(WHITE) Lights, LED Licence Plate Lights, LED Amber Fogs, Plasti Dip Badges, Trailer Harness Relocate, Thule Tail Gate Pad + Bed Rack, LEER Bed Cap
    Very interesting as I just did the LCAs and I have a similar knocking noise on my front end. Feels like either something is lose or my suspension with a lift has no droop travel or something....idk any info on this topic would be greatly appreciated

9. Aug 28, 2012 at 10:58 PM
    Hurtin Albertan

Hurtin Albertan Free Man

Member:
    First Name:
    Duck
    on the road less traveled
    Vehicle:
    The mud hides the tree scrapes in the paint
    Huskyliner floor mats
    Subbed until I get my knock fixed

10. Aug 31, 2012 at 1:09 PM
    NeTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Ma
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR DCLB
    Stock
    I've gone through everything in the front end three times and everythings tight. Someone asked why I needed to replace the intermediate shift: it was shot the little u-joint on the lower end as rusted to all hell and there was close to 2 inches of slop. That two inches of play came right into the steering wheel causeing you to have to turn the wheel a couple inches before you would feel the truck start to respond. Since having it replaced the truck drives like new. UCA's got here today and I'm picking up the new set of frame mount bolts (so I can just cut the old ones off) tommorow morning. I'm gonna put those on tomorrow and get an alignment and see where that puts me. There's a couple of things that I think could me making the noise and the alignment plays into all of them. The people who aligned my truck after the lift install did a pretty half assed job and at the moment I have 0* caster both sides, so everything is pretty close under there at the moment. I have a funny feeling that the noise is coming from the uca hitting the coil as the suspension extends downward. When the truck is jacked up the uca is pretty much on the coil...not touching, but damn close, so going over a good bump at speed could def make contact possible.

11. Aug 31, 2012 at 1:20 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    It's very possible you have seized alignment cams , this is a common problem with Tacomas , if that is the case they would have a very difficult time getting you a good alignment . If the cams / bolts are seized , you can get a knock from the bushing when the wheel articulates up or down .

Check to see if there is wear marks from movement at the alignment cams or flattened cam tabs

12. Sep 1, 2012 at 9:26 AM
    Hurtin Albertan

Hurtin Albertan Free Man

Member:
    First Name:
    Duck
    on the road less traveled
    Vehicle:
    The mud hides the tree scrapes in the paint
    Huskyliner floor mats
    Thanks for the note Oz. I do have siezed alignment cams and flattened tabs. :D Time to go shopping...

13. Sep 2, 2012 at 12:26 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    :thumbsup:

Products Discussed in

To Top