Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2nd gen prerunner to 4x4 conversion

Old 08-27-2012, 10:31 AM   #1
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
2nd gen prerunner to 4x4 conversion

Enjoy.

Other than the crawler box everything else should be very similar if someone wanted to do this

http://www.rocksolidtoys.com/forum/showthread.php?t=396
Old 09-27-2012, 05:22 PM   #2
poundin tacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedpoundin tacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedpoundin tacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedpoundin tacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedpoundin tacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedpoundin tacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedpoundin tacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedpoundin tacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedpoundin tacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedpoundin tacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedpoundin tacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scot
poundin tacos's Tacoma Gallery
Want
Old 09-27-2012, 07:50 PM   #4
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
I really wanna do this (minus the crawl box) once i get my truck paid off. I think the hardest part would be fabbing up a new cross-member for the shorter tranny. My old man has a welding shop so that shouldn't be too hard
Old 11-01-2012, 06:33 PM   #5
Loves Sammiches.
J Rod is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ Rod is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ Rod is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ Rod is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ Rod is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ Rod is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ Rod is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ Rod is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ Rod is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ Rod is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ Rod is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 25B - IT
Name: Jared
J Rod's Tacoma Gallery
I want to do this so bad. Super clean install too!
Old 11-01-2012, 09:02 PM   #6
a name known to all
luka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud of
Air Force: Jet Mech / Metals Tech
Name: Mike
luka's Tacoma Gallery
good read. I've been working on my own conversion for the last 2-3 years and it's almost exactly as posted above.

The only difference with mine is i'm planning to keep the factory 4wd switch and use the 4wd computer. the more I actually dig into the dash, the more I find that the 2wd/4wd are pre-wired for both and just have certain connectors tapped off.

I'm also planning on using the inchworm t-case adapter.

as it is right now, I have the front driveline(axles,diff,hubs) installed and its just free-rolling until I have enough funds to get the last bits for the t-case connection.

A new y-pipe or the 4wd y-pipe is needed and i'll have to modify my own crossmember for the rear of the trans.

so far i've spent about $1600 for parts off a donor truck..maybe by the time i'm done it'll come out about the same as buying it with 4wd new....but I must say, its been a long fun learning process.