Notices

cb install location?

Old 08-29-2012, 09:18 AM   #1
apoteker is on a distinguished road
apoteker's Tacoma Gallery
cb install location?

hey all
i want to install a cb radio and i wonder if there is room behind the
INSTRUMENT LOWER COVER SUB-ASSEMBLY if i remove that and notch it for a cb to fit or is there a bunch of crap behind there
anyone have pics or thoughts on this>?
Old 08-29-2012, 09:33 AM   #2
Monkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud of
Marines:
Monkeyboy's Tacoma Gallery
If you mean that spot just ahead of my stick shift in this picture :

No, there really isn't a lot of room there. if you have a smaller CB, maybe, depending. The crash/airbag computer is located there and the center supports for the dashboard. It's pretty small.

I ended up mounting my CB on the side of the center console.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:41 AM   #3
Super Jesus
tacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoman00's Tacoma Gallery
I mounted mine on the back of the center console facing upwards. Its in the backseat but still reachable and stays out of the way
Old 08-29-2012, 01:10 PM   #4
apoteker is on a distinguished road
apoteker's Tacoma Gallery
yes thats the spot
sucks theres not more room there
blech
i'll have to figure out a different location
Old 08-29-2012, 01:36 PM   #5
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
I mounted mine inside the center console, but apparently I don't have a pic of it on the computer so I will have to show it to you later.

Edit: Took a pic

Old 08-29-2012, 01:41 PM   #6
ssmith29440 is on a distinguished road

Name: Steve
ssmith29440's Tacoma Gallery
A friend of mine has a cb where the volume and channel adjuststment is on the mic.the main box is located behind his seat. The only thing is to find a place to mount the mic. Dont know if they are still made. Its worth looking into.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:45 PM   #7
Odie
trdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

trdNick's Tacoma Gallery

It will fit there with a ton of soldering work haha
Old 08-29-2012, 03:02 PM   #8
Dragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
Dragons Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Another cool option might be to change your radio to an aftermarket single din, then use the open space on a double din adapter to hold the radio. Just thinking out loud since I was considering a radio swap too.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:03 PM   #9
I need to go return some videotapes...
Seabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Seabass's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragons Taco View Post
Another cool option might be to change your radio to an aftermarket single din, then use the open space on a double din adapter to hold the radio. Just thinking out loud since I was considering a radio swap too.
Specalt did that on here. It does fit if you have a smaller model CB.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:07 PM   #10
Just think outside the Yota
CayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
CayucosTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Old 08-29-2012, 08:24 PM   #12
Mtyoda is on a distinguished road
Name: Brandon
Mtyoda's Tacoma Gallery
Dragons taco, that's a great place to put a CB. The only downfall is that u can't put a big radio in.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:39 PM   #13
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DDD's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...tml#post878896
Old 08-29-2012, 08:42 PM   #14
Mall Crawler
MrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Dean'o
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery
Just get a cobra 75 wxstv and mount it anywhere!

Old 08-29-2012, 08:51 PM   #15
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrimm View Post

you going for the plane cockpit look?

That truck would be broken into and stripped in my city in a NY second. I keep my electronics hidden for that reason. Of course most don't live in a crime ridden shit hole like me.

My cb is in my center consul. When not in use no one has a clue. I also stuffed my SWR and aux speaker in there.

OP just put it where it's best for you and think it out. I sat my ass in my seat and stared at my truck for 20 minutes before deciding. The main object is usability followed by a professional looking installation. I see way to many hack jobs when installing CB's. Please keep them away fro your legs or your passengers legs if you value their safety in an accident.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:13 AM   #16
Dragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dragons Taco's Tacoma Gallery
OMG, havent seen that many electronics facing a driver since I was in a Japanese taxi.

And to think you can't "text message" cuz that would be a "distraction" but all of that's legal.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:16 AM   #17
asphinctersayswhat?
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrimm View Post
This is the CB I have as well because it can be easily hooked up and put anywhere and easily removable and can be put away. I keep mine in the center console when not in use.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:31 PM   #18
I'D RATHER LIVE, THAN LIVE FOREVER
Moose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
Moose1988's Tacoma Gallery
Just Installed mine last weekend. Uniden 520xl with a 20w external speaker under the seat facing up. Fits perfectoy and is nice and hidden.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:42 PM   #19
I need to go return some videotapes...
Seabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Seabass's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose1988 View Post
Just Installed mine last weekend. Uniden 520xl with a 20w external speaker under the seat facing up. Fits perfectoy and is nice and hidden.

Did you drill through the bottom to get the antenna cable to go out somewhere? Also, you'll need to run an external speaker or that thing will be muffled as all hell if you close the armrest.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:50 PM   #20
I'D RATHER LIVE, THAN LIVE FOREVER
Moose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
Moose1988's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I drilled out the bottom and ran It under the carpet and through the rubber grommet under the drivers seat. And I do have an external speaker. It's under the seat facing up