Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

resonators

Old 08-05-2007, 06:53 PM   #1
JPENI$ is on a distinguished road

JPENI$'s Tacoma Gallery
resonators

i went to some muffler shop and they told me the 06 tacoma doesnt have resonators but then i tried another place and the guy found them...

im a little confused..would you guys know? i think i found them by the headers unless theyre something else
Old 08-05-2007, 09:03 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPENI$ View Post
i went to some muffler shop and they told me the 06 tacoma doesnt have resonators but then i tried another place and the guy found them...

im a little confused..would you guys know? i think i found them by the headers unless theyre something else
they are either resonators or secondary cats(ones farthest away from the headers), but either way, you can run straight pipe in place of them. a fewpeople on tn have done it,and not really sure of any power gains, but sound increases a little bit(more of a rumble).
Old 08-06-2007, 06:30 AM   #3
brant_trd is on a distinguished road

brant_trd's Tacoma Gallery
they are actually small secondary cats, and yes I have removed mine. It's a tad bit louder, but I believe I have greater throttle response now.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:22 AM   #4
Panama Red is on a distinguished road
Panama Red's Tacoma Gallery
I too thought they were resonators till I went and asked the local Toyota Service Department and they said that they were secondary cats.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:31 PM   #5

JPENI$'s Tacoma Gallery
oh alright..thnx for the help guys

so did you remove all 4 or just the two back ones or two front ones?
Old 08-06-2007, 02:52 PM   #6
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPENI$ View Post
oh alright..thnx for the help guys

so did you remove all 4 or just the two back ones or two front ones?
only remove the two back ones, otherwise you'll get a "check engine" light. also, urd has headers out now for the 4.0 tacoma's that removes the cats, but i think it still may produce a cel unless they come with o2 bungs or simulators.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:58 PM   #7

JPENI$'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
only remove the two back ones, otherwise you'll get a "check engine" light. also, urd has headers out now for the 4.0 tacoma's that removes the cats, but i think it still may produce a cel unless they come with o2 bungs or simulators.
hmm sounds good...ima get going right now and get them cut off haha thnx for the advice..ive seen those headers ive been thinking bout getting them but i hate the installation fees..well see. thnx though bro
Old 08-08-2007, 06:04 PM   #8

JPENI$'s Tacoma Gallery
crap so i didnt get to do it cuz the secondary cats (ones farthest away from the headers) look'd like the catalytic converters...one of them had a heat plate so i figured it was..got a lil scared i dont want them off cuz i wanna pass smog..you guys sure its not a catalytic converter? even the asian muffler guy said it was
Old 08-08-2007, 06:23 PM   #9
Panama Red is on a distinguished road
Panama Red's Tacoma Gallery
JPENI$:
My Toyota Service Department said that out Taco has 4 cats, 2 on each bank. So yes they are cats, not resonators.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:27 PM   #10

JPENI$'s Tacoma Gallery
crap...any clue if ill pass smog with the back two off?