1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Too many decisions! New 2013??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ProForce, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Sep 1, 2012 at 2:21 PM
    ProForce

ProForce [OP] IG @proforce.expeditions OB#5411

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM TRD Sport DCSB 4.0 Auto 2wd
    Too many to list. See build page. Link in signature
    I got the itch, and now im screwed!!

So I've had my MGM 2009 Sport Double Cab since July 09' and have loved it ever since. It is heavily modded but mostly with things that can be undone and returned to stock very easily and quickly. It has ~45k miles on the ticker and is paid off too.

I have found that recently I am more into the suspension side if things and off-roading is much more appealing to me. Which has brought me to the downside of owning a pre-runner. I love the truck and wouldn't change it for a thing.... except 4x4 :rolleyes:

I am on the edge of doing many fairly pricey mods/add-ons that will be non-transferable to a newer 12+ model such as Wet Okoles, Weathertechs, FX-R retro (already have the parts) and major suspension changes.

My debate is either spending the money on all these things and just keep the truck, or trade it in for a 2013 Double Cab Sport MGM 4x4. Only upgrade really is 4x4 and a brand new warranty with 0 miles... but those few advantages make this decision very difficult.

Keep in mind that this truck is not ever going to be LT (just not my thing) and that I do smaller trails and light off-roading. 4x4 is still required/desired for some things I'll be doing, but not an absolute must for me. I will use it though and therefore the reason i am considering this.

Truck is paid off, so the way I see it, trade in or private sale plus about $5000 down will give me about $3-5k left to finance including tax/title/fees/etc and any extended warranty. Maybe even less. I would probably do more like $2-3k down and finance a little more just to have cash more mods :D

Only things I will lose in the deal that can't really be transferred is about $150 worth of dynamat, a viper remote start that I can replace and install myself for around $350, $200 in tint, and probably some other small things like LED guage swap and dash kit. Other than that, pretty much everything I have should swap over just fine.

What would you do guys?! I'm thinking its a waste of time and money but I just can't shake the itch!! :goingcrazy:

Is the 4x4 worth the investment, and is it worth that much money to upgrade trucks when its really not "needed". Its not a money issue, but at the same time I don't want to spend money just because its there.

So, ideas/comments/suggestions/ideas/words of wisdom. Feel free to tell me I'm a dumb ass for considering this. I need some good solid advice since I have never owned a 4x4 before. Thanks everyone!

2. Sep 1, 2012 at 2:32 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Looks like you got 5100s, which are transferrable. If you got a PreRunner and are not looking at LT, what "major suspension changes" are you planning to do?

3. Sep 1, 2012 at 2:34 PM
    ProForce

ProForce [OP] IG @proforce.expeditions OB#5411

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM TRD Sport DCSB 4.0 Auto 2wd
    Too many to list. See build page. Link in signature
    Possibly spindles and/or mid-travel setup or just some nice coilovers. New leaf pack and better shocks all around. Something with resi's. And new UCAs. Just a complete over hall instead of a simple 5100 upgrade.

So I guess its not "major" in the sense that its gonna cost me $10k and completely change the truck, but major in that I don't want to do all that to a truck I might trade in very soon. I'd rather wait till after the trade.

Products Discussed in

To Top