1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

From LR Discovery II to Tacoma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by geoff7877, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Sep 2, 2012 at 7:30 AM
    geoff7877

geoff7877 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Petaluma, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off Road 4X4 Double Cab
    Ok, I am a proud FORMER owner of a 2004 Land Rover Discovery II SE7. Proud that I sold it with minimal damage to my bank account.

Let me say that I was in a position where I could not buy what I wanted at the time for financial reasons and this was the best option out there. I bought it used with 55k on it and had weird, potentially expensive problems about 6 months in after I bought it.

Anyway, I signed up for the forums and I could NOT BELIEVE what I saw. Every single thread was blown head gaskets, weird sensor problems, over heating issues, etc. Not exaggerating. Almost every single thread! My first thought was "oh shit... what did I buy?!?!". Luckily I got away easy. 1 bad crank position sensor. From the dealer; $350 diagnostic check (after I told them what the problem was), $150 part, $400 labor. I bought the same part for $80 and swapped it out in a few hours. It was a bitch reaching the sensor to swap out.

Check out this link. http://www.landroversonly.com/forums/f40/

Bought my Tacoma a few days after selling the rover and I couldn't be happier! 90% of our threads are about mods and much people love and enjoy their tacos!

2. Sep 2, 2012 at 7:53 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    Welcome!

All trucks have issues and the Tacoma has many. Luckily most of them are small time and don't stop you from driving it.

3. Sep 2, 2012 at 8:09 AM
    zul

zul Professional Goofball

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite Mica DCSB SR5 4WD V6 AT
    HAVE: Bed mat, Tailgate Lock, Color-matched Grille, Weathertech Floor Liners, Avid Step Rails, RokBlokz mud flaps WANT: Rear Plate Bumper, Steel bed cage
    True. But OP is right - comparing ratios of people who come online to find solutions to/bitch about problems vs. coming online for mods or to simply express excitement and joy should show you something. Our trucks work and we love them.

I used to be a member of a SAAB forum, and it was split about 50/50. Lots of problems, but an equal number of people were fanatical about their cars. It's nice to see.

4. Sep 2, 2012 at 10:05 AM
    geoff7877

Member:
    Petaluma, CA
    Vehicle:
    There is a huge LR fanatic following. The guy that bought mine went so ape shit that he finally found one in such great shape that he paid me full price, cash 15 minutes after seeing the truck for the first time. I never liked the thing.

5. Sep 2, 2012 at 10:25 AM
    MikeyLikesIt

MikeyLikesIt Supercharged Mileage Master

Member:
    I like them, and I think their really nice inside. But the stories you have told is what I hear over and over again. Always breaking down, very expensive to repair. Congrats on the Toyota purchase!

6. Sep 2, 2012 at 5:54 PM
    geoff7877

Member:
    Petaluma, CA
    Vehicle:
    There's only 1 by the way... And he's very large.

It was nice, but weird. Everything is in the wrong place inside. I won't harp on it. I'm glad it's gone.

Products Discussed in

To Top