Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2012 Double-Cab Suspension improvement suggestions

Old 09-04-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
Haasman is on a distinguished road
Haasman's Tacoma Gallery
2012 Double-Cab Suspension improvement suggestions

We've got a 2012 double-cab 4 x 4. It has the towing package and Bilstein shocks.

I would like to improve its ride, handling and carry capacity. I don't want to "lift it". We use it around our farm, hauling trailers and every so often go to the city on errands.

I am used to good handling sedans and sports cars .... so what would you guys recommend?

As a note- I've seen people recommending replacing the shocks with Bilstein 5100s, rear air bags and even increasing the front sway bar size and adding a rear one.

Ideally I'd like to do the changes and then leave alone. I.e looking for a low maintenance solutions.

Haasman
Old 09-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #2
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ET2(SS) & Air Force DoD contractor.
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasman View Post

As a note- I've seen people recommending replacing the shocks with Bilstein 5100s
I think you've answered your own question.

Could probably get some meatier tires for cushion if you wanted.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:18 PM   #3
Primo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Primo!
Primo 95's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same truck, same package and I also have a nice handling car:

First I went down to 16" wheels and went up 1 size in new quality tires..and noticed a huge improvement in handling.

I then put the 5100s and noticed a huge improvement in the ride. Not spongey anymore. Very smooth, but slightly firm over bumps. You can set the 5100s at stock height (I lifted my front 1.75) to level it out. The 5100s are much thicker than the stock Bilsteins. You can clearly tell it is a premium shock. The stock shocks look like toys compared to the 5100s.

Do either one of those or both and you will be very happy.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:27 PM   #4
Lord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Mar Div
Name: Nick
Lord Helmet's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo 95 View Post

First I went down to 16" wheels and went up 1 size in new quality tires..and noticed a huge improvement in handling.

I then put the 5100s and noticed a huge improvement in the ride. Not spongey anymore. Very smooth, but slightly firm over bumps. You can set the 5100s at stock height (I lifted my front 1.75) to level it out. The 5100s are much thicker than the stock Bilsteins. You can clearly tell it is a premium shock. The stock shocks look like toys compared to the 5100s.

Love the color of your truck man. That would've been my choice if I wasn't in construction.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:40 AM   #5
ULtRaMan is on a distinguished road

Name: Mark
ULtRaMan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Gonna do the same for my truck, did 1.75 completely level out your truck or are you a bit nose high?

(OP forgive me for jumping in on your thread)
Old 09-05-2012, 04:03 AM   #6
Primo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULtRaMan View Post
Gonna do the same for my truck, did 1.75 completely level out your truck or are you a bit nose high?

(OP forgive me for jumping in on your thread)
It came out perfectly level.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:48 AM   #7
Haasman's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the replies .... so I am hearing 5100, we do have the 16" wheels. When the tires are ready I will consider you suggestion. What tires did you install?

Anybody put airbags in the rear?

Also on an appearance note, the front bumper seems to get wax on it. Has that dusty was look. Anyway to keep the grey look (when the mud is washed off of it!)?

Haasman
Old 09-05-2012, 08:14 AM   #8
roadking1 is on a distinguished road
roadking1's Tacoma Gallery
I use Mars Plastic erasers to get wax off any plastic..They work excellent,available at Staples.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:25 AM   #9
Thelt is on a distinguished road
Thelt's Tacoma Gallery
How hard are the shocks to install? Does it require a coil spring compressor?
Old 09-05-2012, 02:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks for the replies .... so I am hearing 5100, we do have the 16" wheels. When the tires are ready I will consider you suggestion. What tires did you install?

Anybody put airbags in the rear?
Part of the getting new wheels, is they are wider than stock, thus handle better. I installed Goodyear Duratracs, but I have used BFG ATs in the past, and was just as pleased.

Airbags - you said you were looking for something maintenance free.

BTW Haasman - are you an avacado grower?
Old 09-05-2012, 02:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelt View Post
How hard are the shocks to install? Does it require a coil spring compressor?
My old man and I installed the rear with no problems. I had a shop install the fronts and align it since it was lifted. There are several threads/videos on here, on how to install it yourself. It can be done without a coil compressor.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:54 PM   #12
Haasman's Tacoma Gallery
Primo 95-

No avocado growing here ... Their last name is Hass, BTW.

Thanks for the responses.

Any suggestions for good sources for the Bilstein 5100 shocks?

If I don't lift the truck, can be be installed without a compressor?

Haasman
Old 09-05-2012, 06:05 PM   #13
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Primo 95-

Haasman
wheelers off road or down south motor sports. both are top notch vendors and supports of tacomaworld. they usually have the best prices too.

Also it never hurts to call and ask if they are offering any tacomaworld member discounts.

I lifted mine 2.5 and didnt use a compressor.

use this video for installation help
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...sor-video.html
Old 09-05-2012, 06:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Primo 95-

Haasman
THis has the discount code to use with Downsouth. They are probably the cheapest and fastest way to get 5100s
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/dow...ml#post5358683

This is the video how to do the front without a compressor.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ml#post4100173
Old 09-07-2012, 03:33 AM   #15
Thelt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

What size tires are those?
Old 09-07-2012, 06:40 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelt View Post
What size tires are those?
265/75/16. Everyone asks me that. They look huge, right? I have 16x8.5 wheels, so I think that extra half inch width makes a big difference.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:41 AM   #17
Thelt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
265/75/16. Everyone asks me that. They look huge, right? I have 16x8.5 wheels, so I think that extra half inch width makes a big difference.
I would have thought they were bigger than that. It looks like you have a full lift kit rather than just leveling the front end. I guess the wheels help make the tires stand out more. It is not just the width but the offset that helps make it pop.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:05 PM   #18
BTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to all

Army: 3rd Infantry Division
BTO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Haasman
There is a thread on how to do it in the suspension section of this forum. Works perfectly safe.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #19
BTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to all

Army: 3rd Infantry Division
BTO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I would like to improve its ride, handling and carry capacity. I don't want to "lift it". We use it around our farm, hauling trailers and every so often go to the city on errands.
May want to consider having the dealer upgrade the leafs to the 4 leaf "TSB" pack.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:53 PM   #20
jermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to behold

Royal Canadian Air Force: aerospace control operator
Name: jeremy
jermoids's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

this is exactly what im planning on doing.
so all you have done is 5100's in the front set at 1.75 with stock springs, 5100's in the back, and 265/75/16?