1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3 LEAF AAL

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TAC1, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Sep 4, 2012 at 5:11 PM
    TAC1

TAC1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tac1
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB O/R 4WD
    Hello Forum,

I am thinking of removing my Hellwig EZ 990 AAL and adding the 3 LEAF AAL pack from Wheelers or Icon (is there even a difference?) to get 1.5"'s of lift. I also read that you can leave the "overload" spring in for an additional 3/4" of lift so I plan to leave it in for a total of 6 leaves.

My current set-up is the Hellwig EZ990 (as previously stated) with the original 2/1 leaf pack & I have Billie 5100's on all 4 corners.

I added a 1" block to my Hellwig set-up & had driveline vibes. I added the Toytec CB drop kit & it improved slightly but I was not happy with the block set-up so I removed it, but I DO like the stance of the truck.

So, my plan is to run the following set-up:
    * Stock 2/1 leaf pack (duh, already on there),
    * Icon or Wheelers 3 leaf AAL (need to purchase),
    * 3 degree steel axle shim (from ToyTec. Purchased, not installed).

Anyone running this set-up, please give me some feedback. Is it a good idea to add the 3 degree axle shims to reduce the chance of vibes? I left the CB kit on since it helps.

Any input is appreciated.

2. Sep 4, 2012 at 5:15 PM
    BulletToothTony

BulletToothTony You’ll have that on these big jobs.

Member:
    First Name:
    You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
    I have the tsb leaf pack + the icon 3 leaf AAL love it :D...... You may or may not need the shims, i added a cb drop and it fixed my vibes....

3. Sep 4, 2012 at 5:18 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I have the TSB leaf pack, Icon 3 leaf AAL and the overload in place. No CB drop, no shims, very intermittent slight vibe at a slow speed. Intermittent leads me to believe that it's the tires and the road surface rather than my driveline. It's an awesome setup.

4. Sep 4, 2012 at 5:29 PM
    greenrustic

greenrustic Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB 4x4 TRD SPORT
    Access LTD Tonneau Cover, Weather Tech Digital Fit Mats, Weather Tech Rain Guards, 35% Tint up Front, AFE Dry Power Intake Filter, Debadged, GrilleCraft, OME 884x, OME 9000 NitroChargers, Icon 3 Leaf Progressive AAL
    Very happy with my Icon 3 leaf aal. I left the overload in and had 2.25 of lift but it settled to 2". I started with a 4 leaf 2012 pack. CB drop and absolutely no vibes.

5. Sep 4, 2012 at 5:33 PM
    BulletToothTony

BulletToothTony You’ll have that on these big jobs.

Member:
    First Name:
    You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.

I had consistent vibes at 5-10 and 15-20 before the cb drop now i have none :D i wish i woulda left the overload in place though :(

6. Sep 4, 2012 at 5:41 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I bought the CB drop, never installed it. The vibes are very intermittent. I checked the angles between the transfer case and the CB and it seemed like the CB drop would make that angle a lot worse so I never installed it. I'm kind of weighted down so that might help also. I need the overload, I've squatted the rear down quite a few times to where the overload was doing some work.

7. Sep 4, 2012 at 5:46 PM
    JonnyBb

JonnyBb I have to return some videotapes

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Pro (upgrade from my 2nd gen)
    Work in progress, but mods so far; OTT 7.0 tune, 255/85/16 Falken WildPeak M/Ts
    I'm running Wheeler's 3 leaf on a non-TSB with the overload installed and without shims or CB drop. Very slight intermittent vibration on take-off, but I'm not 100% certain that it wasn't there initially. Might try a CB drop or rotating the bearing one day to see if it affects the vibes. Love the ride and don't regret paying a little extra.

If you want to hold off on the shims, you might be able to install the centerpin collars so you will be ready to run shims at a later date. I think you can run the extended pins...someone chime in if they know otherwise.

8. Sep 4, 2012 at 8:32 PM
    TAC1

Member:
    First Name:
    Tac1
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB O/R 4WD
    Thank you ALL so far for your responses.
    I have 2 more questions

How do I remove the pin from the original leaves? Is that a bolt or is it a long rivet or a long bolt that I can just unscrew? I've never actually seen it.

Do I have to remove the factory spring clamps? If so, how do I do that? Do I have to drill through the rivet?

Actually, thats 5 questions!

Thanks again members! :)

9. Sep 4, 2012 at 8:40 PM
    greenrustic

greenrustic Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB 4x4 TRD SPORT
    Access LTD Tonneau Cover, Weather Tech Digital Fit Mats, Weather Tech Rain Guards, 35% Tint up Front, AFE Dry Power Intake Filter, Debadged, GrilleCraft, OME 884x, OME 9000 NitroChargers, Icon 3 Leaf Progressive AAL
    The center pin is a bolt but you will probably cut it off at least I did. The clamps, if they are in the way will have to be cut off.

The Icon AAL comes with a new center pin and u-bolts.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/product-reviews/227447-icon-3-leaf-progressive-aal.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/downsouth-motorsports/227454-icon-3-leaf-progressive-aal.html

10. Sep 5, 2012 at 5:38 AM
    TAC1

Member:
    First Name:
    Tac1
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB O/R 4WD
    Thank you GREENRUSTIC for the info.
    Just ONE more question:

Besides a:
    22mm or 7/8 deep socket,
    Angle grinder and,
    C-clamp,

What other tools do I need? I want to make sure that once I start this I don't have to run and buy tools halfway through the install. I like to be prepared. Again, BIG THANKS to all of you! I'm pumped up about this!
    :)

11. Sep 5, 2012 at 5:43 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    You need a wrench for the center pin, a torque wrench, some dry lube (put on the anti-friction pads when you install and on the old anti-friction pads so nothing squeeks, jack stands, floor jack, whatever size wrench required to remove the rear shock, 21mm socket to remove the wheel, PB Blaster might be required to help remove the old u-bolts (always good to have on hand), and paint if you end up cutting off the old leaf pack clamps and grinding the old rivit so it's flush.

I don't believe the old and new u-bolt nuts are the same size either. It also helps if you remove the bolt that holds the brake line splitter to the axle (at the center) to allow more droop without the risk of stretching the line.

12. Sep 5, 2012 at 5:44 AM
    JonnyBb

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
  13. Sep 6, 2012 at 11:29 AM
    TAC1

Member:
    First Name:
    Tac1
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB O/R 4WD
    Regarding the 3 degree axle shims that I have. With my current set-up it is lifted 1.5"'s. When I remove what I have and install the 3 leaf aal and leave the overload leaf in I will have 2"'s of lift. As it is now, I have slight shudder on take-off and I am running the cb drop from Toytec. Is it safe to assume that with the bigger lift I should install the axle shims? I don't want to regret later not installing them and then having to re-do the work.
    Thanks again! :)

14. Sep 6, 2012 at 11:32 AM
    650H1

650H1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 (Cement) TRD O/R
    wheelers FTW. haha I don't think there is a difference, I like the ride, gave me the amount of lift I wanted, and increased payload a tad. I kept my overload in for the .5" of lift it adds, but you don't have to!

I have the beefed taco CB drop for 4" of lift and under, kind of a pain in the ass to get in because of the top bolt, but it works really well! no more vibes or "bump" after you stop!

EDIT: IMO, you will not need axle shims. someone correct me if im wrong, but with our drive shafts, the transmission output and differential output are supposed to be parallel. that being said, if you shim the rear diff to face up toward the transmission output, you will get vibes. the reason being that once you give the truck gas, the diff is going to aim up a tad because of the torque, if you shim it to face up, plus it faces up when you give it gas, your angles will be all fucked up. if you leave it parallel, or put the shims in backwards so it shims the diff output down, you will have better luck. I would just take all the money you are going to invest in shims, and get a beefed taco CB drop, which is good for 4" and under of rear lift. the only true way to go without any vibes what so ever, is to get a one-piece driveshaft made by a local driveline shop. I've also read you can have an older 4runner driveshaft extended and rebalanced and that will work just as well.

15. Sep 6, 2012 at 11:38 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    The axle shims are really your call. You'll find plenty of people running them and just as many not running them with the same lift. One person can install a complete lift, have 0 vibrations, no shutter, etc, next guy, same lift will have slight vibrations. It really is hit or miss. I have the exact lift you're thinking about installing, TSB leaf pack, Icon 3-leaf AAL and the overload leaf in place. I do NOT have the CB drop or axle shims installed and do not have vibrations or a take off shutter.

If you're on the fence, buy that center pin extended collar, put everything together and see if you have vibes. If you do and decide to install the shims, just loosen the u-bolts, slide in the shims and re-tighten, 20 minute job and you don't have to tear apart the leaf pack. Next option, if you want to play it safe, you could throw in the shims when you do the install and not worry about it. Having the shims in won't cause any harm.

16. Sep 6, 2012 at 1:42 PM
    JonnyBb

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    x2...the main thing is to put the collar in now, so you don't have to pull the leaf pack apart at a later date

17. Sep 6, 2012 at 1:50 PM
    1stacoma

1stacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM SR5 DCSB 4.0
    5100's front and rear, front 2.5" rear 2" AAL, 18% tint front and rear, color matched grill. SCS wheels 275/70/17 BFG AT KO's. DTRL toggle switch.
    I actually had pretty bad vibes on takeoff than added the Wheelers 2" AAL and my vibe is gone. I was expecting it to get worse but to my surprise its no longer there. I also think the ride is pretty decent I was expecting it to be pretty harsh and its fine.

18. Sep 6, 2012 at 2:00 PM
    TAC1

Member:
    First Name:
    Tac1
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB O/R 4WD
    Sorry guys but I have no idea what a center pin extended collar is. Any pics or a link that I can refer to?

19. Sep 6, 2012 at 2:07 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    It's basically a washer the same size as the centering pin's head (the centering pin is the bolt that goes through the middle of the leaf pack).
    [​IMG]
    Look at the bolt going through the middle 3 leafs (the middle 3 are the Icon 3-leaf AAL). That bolt is the centering pin. Notice the head of the centering pin sticks down below the bottom leaf. The head of that bolt seats into a hole on the top of the axle, keeping the leaf pack located on the axle and also keeping the leafs centered. When you slide a shim in there, the hole in the center of the shim is a large square hole, much larger than the head of the centering pin. This makes it so the centering pin doesn't reach the axle seat anymore, therefore an extension is needed. It's basically just a steel washer.

Here's a better illustration:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/144224-dakar-installation-axle-shims.html

20. Sep 6, 2012 at 4:08 PM
    JonnyBb

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:

Products Discussed in

To Top