Help with Spark Knock Noise 2010 V6

Old 09-05-2012, 12:55 PM   #1
TacoinMD is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
TacoinMD's Tacoma Gallery
Help with Spark Knock Noise 2010 V6

2010 Tacoma 4x4 4.0

What are your thoughts on this issue? The truck goes to the dealership this Friday, however, I’m curious to know if anyone has experienced the same issue and if so, what was the cause and fix. I’d like to have a bit of knowledge behind me before Friday; the dealerships have a tendency to pass off problems as, “Working as designed.”

At low speeds (under 35 mph) and low rpm’s (under 1,500)with trans in OD the engine has one hell of a spark knock noise when driving around the neighborhood or through traffic. The spark knock is also noticeable at highway speeds when passing under hard acceleration. It’s only in the 40 –65 mph cursing range that I don’t hear the spark knock. I changed the plugs at 30,000 miles with genuine Toyota plugs; however, the damn spark knock was still present. At 34,000 miles I again changed the plugs to NGK, no luck, the spark knock is still present. Each time the plugs were gapped at 41mm to 42mm.

I used the higher-octane fuel 89 and 93 grades, no help.

Its not the ticking noise omitted from the driver's side top of the engine, this is a loud spark knock noise, like bingo balls in the engine. This problem started at approx. the 28,000 mile mark.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 09-05-2012, 12:58 PM   #2
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
is it this? http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...e-one-fix.html

our motors are known for this tic/ knock.. my wife's FJ does it as well. its not a problem really.. just annoying.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:59 PM   #3
SoCal Tacomas
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
is it this? http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...e-one-fix.html

our motors are known for this tic/ knock.. my wife's FJ does it as well. its not a problem really.. just annoying.
^^^x2 i have a feeling its the ticking noise youre talking about...its normal
Old 11-02-2012, 06:44 PM   #5
macoydelrosario is on a distinguished road
Name: macoy
macoydelrosario's Tacoma Gallery
i have the similar problem on my 07 v6 double cab. but i can only here it from inside the cab but the outside while the hood is open.

I don’t know what it might be. sounds like something is rattling inside the engine at idle only.

please help
Old 11-02-2012, 07:05 PM   #6
badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shed
badger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoinMD View Post
2010 Tacoma 4x4 4.0

What are your thoughts on this issue? The truck goes to the dealership this Friday, however, I’m curious to know if anyone has experienced the same issue and if so, what was the cause and fix. I’d like to have a bit of knowledge behind me before Friday; the dealerships have a tendency to pass off problems as, “Working as designed.”

At low speeds (under 35 mph) and low rpm’s (under 1,500)with trans in OD the engine has one hell of a spark knock noise when driving around the neighborhood or through traffic. The spark knock is also noticeable at highway speeds when passing under hard acceleration. It’s only in the 40 –65 mph cursing range that I don’t hear the spark knock. I changed the plugs at 30,000 miles with genuine Toyota plugs; however, the damn spark knock was still present. At 34,000 miles I again changed the plugs to NGK, no luck, the spark knock is still present. Each time the plugs were gapped at 41mm to 42mm.

I used the higher-octane fuel 89 and 93 grades, no help.

Its not the ticking noise omitted from the driver's side top of the engine, this is a loud spark knock noise, like bingo balls in the engine. This problem started at approx. the 28,000 mile mark.

Any ideas?

Thanks
What gap did you actually use? This ^^^ isn't possible.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:11 PM   #7
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
If I know I'll be running the engine hard, I'd use premium fuel and from time to time I do and the truck does run better IMO.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:22 AM   #8
Brandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brandon###'s Tacoma Gallery
My truck pinged pretty bad until I swapped the plugs @ 30k with Iridiums that I had initially bought for our FJ (FJ comes with iridiums).

It was night and day difference. I would have never thought that plugs would have helped this much.

Those things are expensive though

I'm sure you gapped them at .041 and not 41mm.....right? haha