1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

bench seat recline (yes there is a way)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by eh2win, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Sep 5, 2012 at 5:36 PM
    eh2win

eh2win [OP] HIM

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 prerunner
    afe s-dry filter
    ok so the other day i was wondering why the hell toyota didnt put a way to recline your bench seat?? i have the truck almost a year until i was like its either going to recline or im getting a access cab. so fellow bench owners here's a way to recline your seat while still being able to have it go back to stock sitting position!! that's right this will help you have two sitting positions!! keep in mind if you do this i am not in any way responsible for the outcome... now lets get started these are the tools i used: a screwdriver to take of the plastic on the edge of the seat covering the metal, a grinder to take off some metal simple as that...

this is a look at the side of the seat as you can see it has a about a 1inch piece of metal that goes up and stops when the seat is moved forward and down it stop where is the stock sitting position(pointing with the screwdriver).
    [​IMG]

now comes the fun part you grind the middle only (as seen on pic below) not the hole thing just enough for the metal that slides up and down to fit in the grove that you are cutting i cut about half a inch remember you only need to cut small bits to make this work dont go crazy!!
    [​IMG]

once you cut down the metal should slide in place (as seen on pic below) the further the cut the more recline trust me you will be able to tell the difference with half a inch
    [​IMG]

everything will lock in place it doesn't just sit on the metal it will actually lock in place like when its in stock sitting position. both settings will lock in place stock and recline and that's all folks..

stock sitting position
    [​IMG]

reclined position top and bottom pic[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

hope this helps all the bench warmers out there :D

2. May 14, 2013 at 8:47 AM
    bantamtaco

bantamtaco New Member

Member:
    Awesome

3. Jul 24, 2013 at 1:53 PM
    Greenbean

Greenbean B.S. Goodwrench

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC 2.7L 5-spd 4x4 Utility Package
    Interesting,

I may need to try this out....

4. Aug 23, 2013 at 7:12 AM
    jchav

jchav Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Irving Tx
    Vehicle:
    Red 2.7L 4x4 Manual
    none yet
    Thank god this is possible, the stock seating position can be very uncomfortable at times. I am soo doing this! Now I just need to get my hands on a grinder...

5. Aug 23, 2013 at 7:16 AM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    Nice job. I bet a lot of people will appreciate this mod

6. Aug 23, 2013 at 8:26 AM
    Greenbean

Greenbean B.S. Goodwrench

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC 2.7L 5-spd 4x4 Utility Package
    How is it able to lock in the stock position also?

7. Sep 28, 2013 at 7:56 AM
    Dan77

Dan77 Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2013 Base Reg Cab
    This works! I just did this to my 2013 bench seat. I also used a grinder and just went slowly. I now have 4 different LOCKING positions of my seat. I may have cut a little further than eh2win did, since he only had 2 positions. The straight seat was driving me crazy. Now I can drive in comfort. All I can say is eh2win you are the man!!! Thanks

8. Sep 29, 2013 at 12:08 AM
    Taco Pete626

Taco Pete626 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 5-spd (Sold )
    - Undercover Flex tonneau cover - Pop N Lock tailgate lock - Weathertech DigitalFit floor liner - Sick Speed Ol' Skool white shift knob - Bench seat mod - Wiper mod - Cruise control mod
    Thank you for sharing this. I may try this in the future.

9. Sep 29, 2013 at 12:09 AM
    Taco Pete626

Taco Pete626 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 5-spd (Sold )
    - Undercover Flex tonneau cover - Pop N Lock tailgate lock - Weathertech DigitalFit floor liner - Sick Speed Ol' Skool white shift knob - Bench seat mod - Wiper mod - Cruise control mod
    How the heck did you get 4 locking positions?? Isn't the bench seat either all the way up or down?

10. Sep 29, 2013 at 12:19 AM
    Bamo

Bamo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    North Port, FL
    Vehicle:
    09 Regular Cab 4x4
    I just completed this also and all I can say is awesome. It made the truck "long trip" worthy. I only have one setting, not sure how to get more than one position, but I like it non the less. Another great idea from TW.

Ezriderga likes this.
  11. Sep 29, 2013 at 7:43 AM
    13TRDsport

13TRDsport Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE PA
    Vehicle:
    13 Access cab TRD Sport
    Aero Turbine 2525XL, K&N air filter, TRD Shift knob. Bilstein 5100's w\Eibach springs.

thats what I was wondering:confused:

12. Sep 29, 2013 at 2:44 PM
    Greener

Greener Member

Member:
    Rogers, AR
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    Originally Posted by Dan77
    This works! I just did this to my 2013 bench seat. I also used a grinder and just went slowly. I now have 4 different LOCKING positions of my seat. I may have cut a little further than eh2win did, since he only had 2 positions. The straight seat was driving me crazy. Now I can drive in comfort. All I can say is eh2win you are the man!!! Thanks///////////

///////

Dan77, Did you actually get more than one setting (seat angles) when you modded the seat? IF so do you think that this is due to the fact that there is an internal mechinism that stops the seat at different angles?

Thanks for an absolutly great post by the way.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  13. Sep 30, 2013 at 2:45 PM
    Dan77

Dan77 Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2013 Base Reg Cab
    From the factory, the 2013 bench seat has one locked position for sitting, pretty much a 90 degree angle. And of course it can also fold all the way forward. All I did was follow the instructions form the op, eh2win, and ground down about a 1/2 inch of the metal stop on both sides of the seat. Once you cut that little bit of metal out, the seat can fold further back and it locks like normal in the new position. Nothing else is changed. The locking mechanism is inside the seat somewhere. I really don't know how it locks. Luckily with this mod you don't have to mess with that. Why did Toyota not sell it like this? I have no idea. They might want you to buy the next model up? It doesn't seem like the metal stop is even a safety factor because in stock sitting position, the seat never rests on it anyway, it only stops the seat from going further back.

Eh2win said he only got one more locked position beyond factory when he was done. I have 3 new locking positions. The seat goes way back now, too far for me on the furthest settings really. Maybe this is because I cut a little further than eh2win? Or maybe he has a different model year? I have a 2013. I don't think he mentioned which year he has.

14. Oct 1, 2013 at 8:39 AM
    Greener

Greener Member

Member:
    Rogers, AR
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    I have a 2011 and will do the mod this weekend so it'll be interesting to see what I come up with. I'll post the results next week.

15. Oct 6, 2013 at 2:21 PM
    Greener

Greener Member

Member:
    Rogers, AR
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    I modified mine my 2011 bench seat this weekend. I used a Dermal with a stone grinding bit. The bit was 3/16 in diameter. As I used them they disintegrated so I ended up using 4 of them. I purchased two of them before I started the process and found that I had several of virtually the same thing that I use for sharpening my chain saw so I finished the job with these. I stopped at a depth of the diameter of the bits to check. The top of the seat moved back 2 inches and is just where I wanted it.

The interesting thing is that the seat locked back in the new position so I am guessing that there is an internal mechanism to the seat that would allow multiple reclining positions, but this is a guess. I talked to the local Toyota service center and they had no Idea and didn't seem to have an inclination of finding out.

I'm VERY happy with the modification. Good Luck to any of you that decide to try this. It's simple and the results are great.

The only caution is that I am not sure all year models have multiple internal stops so go slowly working both sides maybe an 1/8 of an inch at a time to get the angle you want.

16. Jan 15, 2014 at 4:45 PM
    Pete

Pete New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Delaware
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma reg. cab
    I just modified my 2014 bench seat on my reg cab. I used a dremel with a thin cutting wheel. The wheel cut through like butter. Made a 3/8 inch slot. Three locking positions. It took longer to bring out my tools than to make this mod. Thanks

Ezriderga likes this.
  17. Mar 10, 2014 at 8:46 AM
    Atx 4x4

Atx 4x4 New Member

Member:
    Austin tx
    Vehicle:
    06 reg cab 4x4
    Op,owe you one on this mod,I would gladly buy you a case of beer for this!! Thanks bro!!

18. Sep 16, 2014 at 2:47 PM
    apce756

apce756 New Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2014 Regular Cab Auto
    I've been looking to switch my 2014 tacoma bench seat to bucket seat for a while now. Wife wants to recline when riding shotgun. I'll do this mod too later. If it works which I think it should, I don't need bucket seats. Thank you in advance. :)

19. Sep 16, 2014 at 5:11 PM
    hotrod53

hotrod53 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lynd
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    ‘14 DCLB Sport, ‘18 TCH, ‘13 TCH
    Weathertech floor liners moded to hold OEM floor mats, weathertech vent visors, Toyota bed mat, LEER 100XL cap, hood gasket mod to stop whistling.
    While I have bucket seats, I must say that this looks like an excellent mod, kudos OP!

20. Sep 16, 2014 at 5:26 PM
    Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Prepare To Attack

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    Props for a cool idea :thumbsup:

bigbarlo likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top