1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

EFI fuse blows when I try to start my pickup.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Jimkana, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Sep 6, 2012 at 9:17 AM
    Jimkana

Jimkana [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    06 Lifted 4x4
    6" Fabtech lift Dirt Logic 2.5s 4:88 Yukon Gears 35" Toyo MTs 18" KMC Misfits All Pro APEX leaf springs All Pro APEX bumper Custom Grillcraft grill Stainless Exaust K&N intake Wet Okole seat covers Alpine audio deck and subs Protech tool box
    I drove from Washington to Alaska and I made it all the way up without a problem and I go to start my pickup up and it won't fire. I checked all my fuses and my EFI fuse keeps blowing out. I googled my problem and I saw a bunch of stuff about O2 sensors causing the problem but I disconnected them all and it still won't start and blows fuses so I put a small piece of stainless wire in the fuse slot and it gets red hot when I turn the ignition. All the O2 sensors seemed to be ok and nothing was melted like I kept reading about so now I'm out of ideas and wondering if anything else can cause that problem. I have a 2006 V6.

2. Sep 6, 2012 at 9:27 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Time to replace the fuel pump.

3. Sep 6, 2012 at 9:35 AM
    achirdo

achirdo I Weld!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    06 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins
    Checked for chewed up wires under the Hood maybe.

4. Sep 6, 2012 at 9:38 AM
    BlazeTaco

BlazeTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    4.0l 6sp SR5
    TRD Exhaust TRD Filter
    Never bypass a fuse unless you want to burn you truck up or spend major money replacing burned up wires and electrical parts. You will cause way more damage then there was to begin with.

5. Sep 6, 2012 at 5:07 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    If you leave that stainless steel wire in there you are going to have a lot of melting going on. Pull it out and locate the short circuit.

6. Sep 6, 2012 at 5:16 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    Not so hasty! Sure, try unplugging the connector, or pulling the relay, but throwing parts at it without proper testing is a sure way to empty some pockets.

7. Sep 6, 2012 at 8:03 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    I am pretty confident this is the issue as I have seen it numerous times. Yes, I wouldn't recommend "throwing parts" at a problem and that is not what I am saying as none of us are there to physically examine the problem. My recommendation is take it to a mechanic and get it fixed but be prepared that it is most likely the fuel pump.

8. Sep 7, 2012 at 5:53 PM
    Jimkana

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    06 Lifted 4x4
    6" Fabtech lift Dirt Logic 2.5s 4:88 Yukon Gears 35" Toyo MTs 18" KMC Misfits All Pro APEX leaf springs All Pro APEX bumper Custom Grillcraft grill Stainless Exaust K&N intake Wet Okole seat covers Alpine audio deck and subs Protech tool box
    I checked all my fuel lines and I'm still getting fuel to the engine so I traced the problem all the way to the injectors I think. I just can't figure why that fuse is blowing and all my O2 sensors still have the heat shrink tubing on them with no marks.

9. Sep 7, 2012 at 6:01 PM
    triumphx

triumphx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    X-runner/cummins
    Are you running a trd s/c by chance? If so then it's due to the power for the coolant pump, if not I'm not too sure

10. Sep 7, 2012 at 7:37 PM
    92dlxman

92dlxman drinking whats on sale

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 access 4x4 4.0 6-gear
    5100s, ome884s, wheelers aal kit, and some rustoleum
    i cant see how this would happen without crossed wires or a bad voltage regulator, which i guess to be incorporated into the alternator. whats up with all the electrical issues lately, im scared

wheres Bama Toy? seriously i think he could help

11. Sep 7, 2012 at 8:06 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Some wiring info, if it helps.

I doubt it's the fuel pump, that should be switched through a relay and fused separately. Double check me, but I'm almost 100 percent on that.

Does the efi fuse blow when the key is turned to the "on" position? Or only after you crank it over? That might help narrow it down. If it's an injector, that may not be energized before cranking it over.

Also, I notice there is an efi fuse and an "efi 2" fuse.....which one is it?

12. Sep 8, 2012 at 10:56 AM
    Jimkana

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    06 Lifted 4x4
    It blows when I turn the key to the on position and it's the EFI fuse not the EFI 2. That's a good point about the injectors not getting energized when the key is just in the on position I didn't think about that.

13. Sep 8, 2012 at 11:06 AM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Okay, I will correct myself here. The efi fuse does feed the fuel pump. Looking at the schematic, if you pull the fuel pump relay out and try again, that will eliminate the fuel pump as the cause of the blown fuse.

14. Jul 6, 2020 at 6:48 AM
    BillNH

BillNH New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2002, 2.7
    EFI fuse kept blowing (175,000 miles). Disconnected all systems as recommended. No change. Checked wire harness, especially in areas where touching metal. Wasn't obvious but found that the harness had worn through underneath middle of truck on driver's side. Harness rubbing against side of frame rail. Resistor wire corroded and broken; white/black wire casing worn off. Spliced in new wire and EFI problem corrected.

P.S. In checking electrical system, found the underside of the starter cable covering had worn through from rubbing against frame (not obvious and starter was still working...for the moment).

JimIowa likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top